Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave Hickey promissed it would go faster if painted red and white.:thumbsup: :D
The Schwinn will be up and running as soon as I get a few more parts, like wheels, and a bottom bracket, oh and brakes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Do share some painting techniques such as how you masked the lugs and what paint type was used and the application method for the paint. Looks like that will give some new life to an old faithful. I too like your choice of colors. I have a few projects that I don't really want to spend big bucks at a professional painter that I've been tempted to try a home job on. I'm just afraid I won't be happy with the results.

brewster

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brewster said:
Do share some painting techniques such as how you masked the lugs and what paint type was used and the application method for the paint. Looks like that will give some new life to an old faithful. I too like your choice of colors. I have a few projects that I don't really want to spend big bucks at a professional painter that I've been tempted to try a home job on. I'm just afraid I won't be happy with the results.

brewster
The only thing that is not available cheaply is the sandblaster I used to stripped the old paint/rust off with. You can use airplane paint stripper and then a course wire wheel if you can't get a frame sandblasted. Otherwise it was all Rustoleum rattle can. I used the Rustoleum automotive primer, wet sanded a little, then applied rustoleum white where on the head tube and downtube, wet sanded, masked of the headtube with very thin strips of masking tape to make the radius of the curves around the lugs (took about 2 hours to do), then masked off the panels with paper and tape, applied Rustoleum Red and took the tape off as soon as I could that way the tape and paint did not bond, wet sanded and then applied Rustoleum Clear Coat. Done. It is not perfect but the overall effect for 30 dollars in paint, sand, and sandpaper is pretty much worth it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice! I've wanted to try this but chickened out (will it turn out or look hacked?) You make it sound & look easy. Did you pop the headset race off the fork or mask it off?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Fantino said:
Nice! I've wanted to try this but chickened out (will it turn out or look hacked?) You make it sound & look easy. Did you pop the headset race off the fork or mask it off?
You can leave it on the fork as it wont be seen when assembled. I would remove anything you can see rather than mask it. You get a much cleaner line that way. Also use good tape to mask different color seams. Painters tape will leave a crisp line and is much better than masking tape for this.
http://www.castlewholesalers.com/PAINTERS-MATE-GREEN-15024055-Masking-Tape-1-X-60-Yd-Use.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
jupiterrn said:
The only thing that is not available cheaply is the sandblaster I used to stripped the old paint/rust off with. You can use airplane paint stripper and then a course wire wheel if you can't get a frame sandblasted.
hope no one minds if I bring back an old thread. I'm trying to start my paint project but I don't know where to get a sandblaster. And if I were to go the paint stripper route, do you think it'll damage my CF frame? And where do you think has the most choice of paint suitable for bike? Is it one of the those car paint store? Thanks,

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Ronsonic said:
I wouldn't use stripper or a sandblaster on CF.
+1000000000
absolutely not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts