Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is is worth paying the extra $100 for an i-Phone 4 vs. the old 3s that are on sale right now? I'm thinking about getting an i-Phone now that AT&T has adopted a new tiered rate plan, with the monthly fees dropping from $30 to $15.

What features do you get in the 4 that are not available or as good in the 3? I would mainly use the i-Phone for emails, web surfing and phone calls.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
What features do you get in the 4 that are not available or as good in the 3?
The 3 didn't include a free antenna design flaw...

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
What I can gather that a 4 has over a 3GS

- better battery life
- 2 cameras to do video chat
- slightly better processor.
- Higher resolution screen

I'm sure there is more, but that's the big one's I've noticed in my reading.

Len

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
the camera on the 4 is supposed to be really good for a cell phone camera. better battery is worth paying up a bit for too.

plus, the 4 will get updates longer. i have the 3G and not all the updates work for it.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
tomk96 said:
better battery is worth paying up a bit for too.
The battery on the 3Gs is dogshit. I'll probably upgrade.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
The battery on the 3Gs is dogshit. I'll probably upgrade.
Really...i've had no problems with mine and I'm a pretty heavy user.

Len

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
The way I look at it is that it makes no sense to get last generation. Most of the cost of the iphone is in the service- not the physical hardware. Might as well pay an extra $200 and get the best experience.

IMO the antenna thing is blown way out of proportion. None of the people I know with iphone 4s have had any real difficulties.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Len J said:
Really...i've had no problems with mine and I'm a pretty heavy user.
I've had two and both performed the same. With moderate use I get about half a day. I had to buy a Juice Pack battery for it just so it would last until I got home.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
the camera also has a flash which is cool imo. wifey has the 4, i have the 3gs but won't upgrade until maybe the 5 or 6 come out.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I have the 3, but it needs a little help. I am upgrading to the 4 rather than repair my 3g. (actually, I probably will repair, then sell my 3g).

The big plus for me is the screen. I use mine as a portable computer, essentially, and the screen on the 4 is not just a little better, it is a LOT better.

Also, did anybody notice that they product that they call the iphone 4, is the 3rd-generation iphone?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I've had two and both performed the same. With moderate use I get about half a day. I had to buy a Juice Pack battery for it just so it would last until I got home.
I bet that it's your magnetic personality that sucks the juice right out of the battery.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
5MP camera with flash vs. 3MP and better battery life are the 2 big things for me. I'd like a nice camera in my phone so I don't need a dedicated one for on the go shots.
It also adds HD recording. That pretty much (with Len J's info) sums it up.
The new OS sucks for now, the multitasking is screwed up for the time being. My wife starts and app, and the ipod music starts playing, and that's not a feature of the app. I've been in one app, and it switched to another on me. And you also get crashes all the time.
Now if you're just using it for phone, internet, and camera, you won't have issues.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I bet that it's your magnetic personality that sucks the juice right out of the battery.
That's exactly what it is. Yes. My magnetic personality.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I have the 4gen now and LOVE it. I am a heavy user and get 22-26hrs of battery life.

Camera is AWESOME! hands down faster and better than my wife's 3GS.

Yes, its worth the $100 IMO. I have n0 real signal issues and I use a case anyways.

This is my second smart phone. I had a BB 9000 before this.

The HD video look really, really goo on my 720p Panasonic Plasma.

here are a few quick pics I took in CO. I am no MB1 though....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Peanya said:
5MP camera with flash vs. 3MP and better battery life are the 2 big things for me. I'd like a nice camera in my phone so I don't need a dedicated one for on the go shots.
It also adds HD recording. That pretty much (with Len J's info) sums it up.
The new OS sucks for now, the multitasking is screwed up for the time being. My wife starts and app, and the ipod music starts playing, and that's not a feature of the app. I've been in one app, and it switched to another on me. And you also get crashes all the time.
Now if you're just using it for phone, internet, and camera, you won't have issues.
Then your wife's phone has issues. I have not heard that yet. 3 iPhones/Touch devices in this house with OS4 and no issues.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Argentius said:
Also, did anybody notice that they product that they call the iphone 4, is the 3rd-generation iphone?
It's the fourth actual phone though if you count the 3G and 3Gs separately.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I think the 3Gs they are selling now only has 8GB of memory. When I bought my 3Gs last year, I went with the 32GB one.

I've only checked the iPhone 4 out at the store, and I'm not sure I like the straight edges. I prefer the curved edge of the 3Gs. But if I were getting a new one, I'd still go for the 4, hands down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts