Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that I won't be coming back to work for the school system next year. I'll finish out this school year, but my college class schedule is not going to allow me to continue to work here afterwards.

I'm applying now for part time work at a couple places that culd turn into full-time work once summer rolls around. Come Fall, I'm pretty sure I can piece together enough hours to support myself, but I'm a bit nervous about the whole situation.

Then again, I could work at McDonald's and make as much as the school system is paying me...probably more.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Damn you, why does McDonald's sound good right now?

Congrats, by the way. You can do it. And if you want to ride, I won't be far! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why worry?:confused: Sounds like you'll have more time to ride :D :cool:

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Good luck LR. Isn't McD one of the lowest paying employers out there? I remember when I worked there in 198.., I was making 3.54 Canadian/hour. A month later, I got a job at a pharmacy paying 5.70/hour and quit on the spot.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
good luck, LR, I am sure that you will be able to pull something together, maybe even get a gig as the new Ronalda McDonald?:D

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Best of luck!

It can be done... Just make sure that you stick with the cheap beer, and you'll be alright :)

You'd be suprised on what you can scrapr by with. I made about $400 a month for nearly three years living in Southern California (Very recently... I graduated in 04. I wasn't living at home either). there are plenty of places you can get free meals at too... get a friend in the dorms, as they usually have events with free food... student associations usually have free lunches. Join a few and you'll get at least one or two free meals a week. It'll work out!

joe

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gazoo said:
Why worry?:confused: Sounds like you'll have more time to ride :D :cool:
Because I'm a single parent to a very expensive teenage daughter. If you have one, you'll understand.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wayneanneli said:
Good luck LR. Isn't McD one of the lowest paying employers out there? I remember when I worked there in 198.., I was making 3.54 Canadian/hour. A month later, I got a job at a pharmacy paying 5.70/hour and quit on the spot.
It has to be more than I'm making as a school nurse. Even the custodians make more than I do.

lousylegs said:
good luck, LR, I am sure that you will be able to pull something together, maybe even get a gig as the new Ronalda McDonald? :D
Well, I do have red hair...Hmmmmm....I think not.

JoeDaddio said:
You'd be suprised on what you can scrapr by with. I made about $400 a month for nearly three years living in Southern California (Very recently... I graduated in 04. I wasn't living at home either). there are plenty of places you can get free meals at too... get a friend in the dorms, as they usually have events with free food... student associations usually have free lunches. Join a few and you'll get at least one or two free meals a week. It'll work out!
Thanks for the advice. I'm a commuter student, though. I have my own little house and only go to campus twice weekly right now. Come Fall semester that will be three times per week. And I don't drink cheap beer. I'd rather just have one good one and really enjoy it instead.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
lets_ride said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm a commuter student, though. I have my own little house and only go to campus twice weekly right now. Come Fall semester that will be three times per week. And I don't drink cheap beer. I'd rather just have one good one and really enjoy it instead.

I was a commuter as well. In fact, I went to a commuter campus - a campus where a HUGE majority of the people who go there don't live on campus, or really anywhere that close at all. I still managed to pull off free meals at least 3-5 times a week on average. On a good week I ate free nearly every day. There are ways!

joe

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
lets_ride said:
Because I'm a single parent to a very expensive teenage daughter. If you have one, you'll understand.
Mine's up for sale on eBay. If anyone wants to bid, I'll PM you the link.

Good luck with the change!

·
Registered
56 Posts
lets_ride said:
make her get a job if she wants all the fancy trendy crap :D

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
lets_ride said:
I'm just getting out of University myself, and I consider myself to be fairly expensive. However, I've earned all my toys that I bought over the years. Over last year, I've put $4k into my rocky mountain, bought a Cervelo One, and about to buy a Cannondale Six13. So yes, I consider myself to be VERY spoiled.

However, I WILL NEVER put my parents through undue hardship just because I wanted something. If I wanted it badly enough, I will work hard to get it. As a parent, I believe this should have been coummunicated clearly, and any respoonsible child should understand this. I'm not trying to mock your education style, but it seems like you put your child's material possessions more important than your own necessarities.

When school is concerned, as soon as it is all over and done, it will be all worth it :D I have a pretty good job lined up and cannot wait until I start!!

Best of Luck

Ming

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
macming said:
I'm not trying to mock your education style, but it seems like you put your child's material possessions more important than your own necessarities.
Yeah, you're way off base there. We live on less than $900/month, so she isn't getting spoiled with many material posessions. And she is definitely not too materialistic, especially compared to some of her friends. My biggest expense with her is that she plays competitive soccer at a state level, requiring lots of travel and the expenses that come along with the trips.

She grumbles a bit when she can't have something she wants, but she also paid for a ref class and started reffing this year so she can buy the stuff I can't give her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good for her...I bet you're very proud of her!!

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm lucky

She's a good kid. She grumbled a LOT when I got rid of cable TV, but just the other day she was telling me how much she was enjoying reading a lot of books she otherwise wouldn't have read.

·
Registered
56 Posts
cool...

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
lets_ride said:
Yeah, you're way off base there. We live on less than $900/month, so she isn't getting spoiled with many material posessions. And she is definitely not too materialistic, especially compared to some of her friends. My biggest expense with her is that she plays competitive soccer at a state level, requiring lots of travel and the expenses that come along with the trips.

She grumbles a bit when she can't have something she wants, but she also paid for a ref class and started reffing this year so she can buy the stuff I can't give her.
Good for her, reffing is a great way to make money for a teenager (at least if they still pay like they did when I used to do it).

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, it is!

Where else can a 14 year old make $13-18/hr? And she can set her own schedule!

Hmmm...maybe she's onto something here. :D

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
lets_ride said:

Well, my apologies. The way you put your daughter, I thought she was literally spoiled.

Best of luck with things...

Ming

1 - 19 of 19 Posts