Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just more sensitive to it than most people. I have not ate much red meat at all for many years, mostly just fish if anything animal at all, but I still like my grains, breads and sweets such as cake and ice-cream, donuts, chocolate bars and chocolate period. I quite alcohol and soda-pop many years ago.

I am getting close to 61 years now which is a factor, and have had some cardiac issues for many years too, no clogs, just oddball heart rhythms and blood pressure. A heart attack and surgery under my belt too.

After a particularly bad night's sleep and some other physical problems a while ago where I had eaten some rich foods including a large chocolate bar about three hours before bed-time, I decided to go cold-turkey on chocolate and any food sweetened with anything, sugar, corn-syrup, or any artificial sweetener for sure, I usually never eat any diet or fake foods and go for the organic and non-gmo stuff.

The results of this experiment were dramatic. After one day I felt much better, and with each passing day it is reinforced that sugar was killing me. I looked up easily how the number-one contributor to high blood pressure is sugar, and it feeds a lot of other diseases too.

Right away I noticed I was able to ride a bicycle further and faster with less fatigue than I had for a long time and those riding with me backed that up. I have been sleeping much better and I think my body is doing some healing. This was a big step forward in my all-round health and might be something others may want to try if they have oddball health problems bothering them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good on you for doing what you gotta do to be healthy.
I like cake so I have to ride to burn off the calories. Someday this will have to change but I’m thankful it’s working for now

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I didn't read your post, but there is scientifically no possible way not eating something (or any diet change) is going to make you faster.

That can only come from training.

Except for me. I fuel exclusively on Cake and Ice Cream, and it makes me faster (than not eating at all).

·
Registered
129 Posts
You know, I'm 57 and I started limiting my sugar intake and I noticed the same thing. For me, though, I think it's because limiting that sugar caused me to drop 25 pounds (and still going down) over the last two months. It is amazing how much faster you are when you drop some weight. If I drop another 40 (and I do have 40+ to spare), I could probably take on the 20-something year olds :)

(To be fair, I was late to start biking this summer and only started in late June, so I'm guessing the extra exercise had something to do with it, too.)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If I don't eat a burger at the 1/2 way point, I'm a lot faster coming back to the car.
Eating non-refined sugar '& NO' burgers will definitely make you faster, and last longer.
EDIT IN CAPS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Besides the obvious drawbacks of weight gain and being too high to sleep properly, there is scientific research showing that sugar aggravates autoimmune disorders, and a Cleveland Clinic article says it causes chronic inflammation which stresses the cardiovascular system. A John Hopkins article talks about how high blood sugar contributes to irregular heartbeats.

So after a short period without sugar, if you are sleeping better, if chronic inflammation and/or autoimmune diseases are backed off, if they let your heart beat more normally, that all says better athletic performance and much better health. Sleep alone is a giant in determining an individuals health and it can be severely affected by diets containing sugar and other stimulants like caffeine and nicotine. You can find information on how active brain monitoring shows sugar affects the brain in the same way cocaine and some other controlled substances do.

I used to think that regular exercise could make up for eating junk-food, but that is not the case as even though the calories are burned off, the effects and damage done remain along with chemicals, and if they are put back in the body each day they can not be nullified just because you are active. I think this is amplified greatly with age.

Then of course there is the diabetes issue which I have not had to deal with personally but it runs in my family and has killed some of them. One friend of mine has become diabetic at around 70 years of age because he basically lives like a slob as far as eating junk-foods and being sedentary, I would like to avoid that fate.

You may not be able to say that cutting out refined sugar will directly increase athletic performance, but all of the health benefits of not consuming refined sugar absolutely will increase athletic performance and general health.

I am going to do some speed testing on a few of my bicycles on known routes I have been timed on in the past frequently and see if I set any personal records.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have no dispute with any claims of health benefits of reduced or eliminated sugars/carbs. There are plenty of scientific studies that back this up.

As to the title of this thread? Well, that is something completely different. Claiming it made you faster/stronger is impossible to prove anecdotally. There are way too many variables to substantiate this claim.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,856 Posts
I have no dispute with any claims of health benefits of reduced or eliminated sugars/carbs. There are plenty of scientific studies that back this up.

As to the title of this thread? Well, that is something completely different. Claiming it made you faster/stronger is impossible to prove anecdotally. There are way too many variables to substantiate this claim.
^^^Precisely this. I find I feel much better on long rides with more easily digestable protein and less sugar. And it's not just refined sugar. We think fruit juice is better, but the body uses it in exactly the same way as refined white sugar or white bread. Better to get carbs from whole fruit and whole grains which are more slowly absorbed.

Here again, I'm talking about how I feel, not how fast I can be. Sugary foods with no protein will make me hungry after not too long. Protein will sustain me.

·
Registered
24,491 Posts
I am going to do some speed testing on a few of my bicycles on known routes I have been timed on in the past frequently and see if I set any personal records.
This will be absolutely meaningless.

I can almost guarantee you'll go faster. Simply because it's in your head that you'll be faster. so you will work harder.
And that will prove absolutely nothing.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,856 Posts
This will be absolutely meaningless.

I can almost guarantee you'll go faster. Simply because it's in your head that you'll be faster. so you will work harder.
And that will prove absolutely nothing.
Not to mention so many other variables such as wind speed and direction.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to mention so many other variables such as wind speed and direction.
It won't be meaningless to me. I have a route to ride that I have been riding for forty years. When I get a day with little or no wind I do comparison testing of equipment and my fitness level to past rides. I have ridden the route 71 times in the last 14 weeks alone on various bikes and I can repeat my speed around it accurately using nothing but a stop-watch. I have been able to predict performance changes on the route in advance after making changes to the bike and used it to predict in advance my speed in competitions. If my performance on this route changes for the better or worse in a short period of time, it is because of a change in my equipment or my lifestyle, and it is very easy for me to figure out. And of course once again we have the same forum trolls making replies not on the subject at hand, but adding their usual ad-hominem personal attacks.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,856 Posts
It won't be meaningless to me. I have a route to ride that I have been riding for forty years. When I get a day with little or no wind I do comparison testing of equipment and my fitness level to past rides. I have ridden the route 71 times in the last 14 weeks alone on various bikes and I can repeat my speed around it accurately using nothing but a stop-watch. I have been able to predict performance changes on the route in advance after making changes to the bike and used it to predict in advance my speed in competitions. If my performance on this route changes for the better or worse in a short period of time, it is because of a change in my equipment or my lifestyle, and it is very easy for me to figure out. And of course once again we have the same forum trolls making replies not on the subject at hand, but adding their usual ad-hominem personal attacks.
Not very scientific.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does anyone ever hear, “I don’t like sugar”? Further broken down into refined, raw, cane, etc.etc. Avoidance of any form of sugar for medical reasons is always out there….everyday. We hear that quite a bit. Diabetes and ensuing sugar avoidance is a common avoidance reason.

I avoid sugar, not sweeteners. I am a sugar addict. I feel like they should have meetings where I hold my hand up, and confess my sugar addiction.

I suspect we all need to do some self education and understand how insulin and insulin resistance works. Know the body manufactures sugar-glucogenesis- whether we like it or not. A certain amount of sugar for bodily functions is needed everyday. Certainly not what we may over ingest. There is not any real way to know that exact amount. (Yes, I know there are test kits that will indicate A1C number).
Does anyone test themselves undiagnosed with diabetes or something else other than an annual screening?

Awareness of just how much sugar is in what we consume should be examined. Read labels of items we buy and see for yourself. Make note of the serving size. For fun, look at some store bought bread.
Note total sugars and added sugars. Look at sugar totals consumed over a day. Estimating can be misleading.

This is a huge topic. Lots of disbeliefs, misconceptions and lack of understanding. I have resolved to not wait until I get adverse health from too much sugar.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,856 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Red bikes are faster, but black bikes are the fastest.

The dieting and health community screwed up in the '70s when there was a big push to remove fat from the diet. Most "Fat Free" foods have sugar added. They should have been pushing a sugar free diet, or at least a "minimal sugar" diet.

As for the burger at the halfway point, it depends on the burger. Avoid the fast food joints. A good burger is like heaven after 40 miles :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.