Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
They do indeed have really cool noise when hooking along, the first time i raced against a set i thought it was cool because i could always tell when the guy was going to attack/was doing a turn, you just knew where he was in the pack all the time. Plus i just bought a new 303 front when hope they ride as good as they sound.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Yep.

I use Hed wheels and have had folks hollar "car back" as I came up on 'em. HUmmmmzzzzzmmmmmmm.

· Banned
2,843 Posts
Argentius said:
Well, I don't have any, but at recent races, many others have, and I've learned why they (and other deep section wheels) are all the rage:

They make a really neat swooshing noise.
I like them, becuase I know instantly the user isn't a threat. Oddly, I've never seen someone win a crit, on deep carbon wheels.

· naranjito
785 Posts
I don't like them, because of the noise they make... I've never had a set of deep carbon rims, but have ridden alongside many people who have, and I just can't get used to the noise... I like my bike to be silent - the only noises I like to hear are the wind and the birds in the trees...

I have to admit, they do look pretty cool though!

foz

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
FTF said:
I like them, becuase I know instantly the user isn't a threat. Oddly, I've never seen someone win a crit, on deep carbon wheels.
Crit+deep carbon=no good.
RR+deep carbon+breakaway= :) :):):):):)
-estone2

· Banned
2,843 Posts
estone2 said:
Crit+deep carbon=no good.
RR+deep carbon+breakaway= :) :):):):):)
-estone2

I don't think I've ever seen someone win a roadrace with them either. I have however had some guy tell me that he would have beaten me in a mass start hillclimb, had he been on his 303's instead of his 404's, I was on standard box rims. I'm unsure if he was joking or what.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Argentius said:
Well, I don't have any, but at recent races, many others have, and I've learned why they (and other deep section wheels) are all the rage:

They make a really neat swooshing noise.
you should hear a pack of trackies on discs!

THAT is a neat sound.

M

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
FTF said:
I have a buddy that wins lots. Rides deep dish carbon wheels almost exclusively. Before that he was riding Spinergy 4-spokes.

'course he COULD win on box-section wheels, he just don't.

M

· glutton for punishment
684 Posts
FTF said:
I don't think I've ever seen someone win a roadrace with them either.....
Not sure where you're racing, but here in NorCal let's see... Mt. Hamilton last weekend was won on Cosmics, Panoche Pass was won on Zipp 404s the weekend before, Berkeley Hills was won on Cosmics the weekend before that, and those are just my last three races and wheel choices I remember for whatever reason.

Dismissing a racer as a threat because of their equipment seems pretty foolish, whether it's because their gear is expensive or because it's cheap.

I will say that the Cosmics in particular are damn loud - the one guy who caught my wheel when I attacked the bunch with 1k to go at Panoche said he heard them coming. doh!

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
FTF said:
I don't think I've ever seen someone win a roadrace with them either. I have however had some guy tell me that he would have beaten me in a mass start hillclimb, had he been on his 303's instead of his 404's, I was on standard box rims. I'm unsure if he was joking or what.
I have... at the races this weekend... someone won on stratus dv's... i think dv's... reynolds stratus something... i have no clue. but they were deep.
and zipps win often
also if they werent better than normal wheels, why would tdf guys use em? I don't see them running zipp 202s on the flat stages.
-estone2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.