Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was no big deal. 4 people in my group and 4 in a slower group. Just a group of friends. We stopped twice for snacks. It took a lot longer then our usual 50 to 60 mile rides. There was no sag wagon, gran fondo fees, ride registration, crowds, questions to this forum about how to do it, just another lazy Sunday ride. It was not a race. Tomorrow I have an 80 mile ride, same deal. If I ride to the start it will be another 100. Did I mention it was not a gran fondo?, oh yeah I did.
Just sayin.

·
Registered
368 Posts

But seriously, cool. I find with longer rides, it's not the exertion (most riders are "fit" enough to ride a century), it's the soreness. I'm sure my bike could be set up better, but for short rides, I never notice. On longer rides shoulders, hands, taint, etc start to let you know what needs addressing.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Cool. Was it your first century?
I suspect not. I'll bet he's done it so many times that the fact that it's not a big deal to him but is a big deal to other people is a big deal.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
It was no big deal.
Then why post about it? Just sayin.

If you normally ride 50 to 60 miles at a go, it would indeed be surprizing if 100 miler knocked you out.

For most people, riding their first Century is a big deal. Does it make you feel better to minimize the sense of achievement of others?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Then why post about it? Just sayin.

If you normally ride 50 to 60 miles at a go, it would indeed be surprizing if 100 miler knocked you out.

For most people, riding their first Century is a big deal. Does it make you feel better to minimize the sense of achievement of others?
+1

this thread is weak sauce; it fails even at delivering an entertaining bit of snark.

a century is a great accomplishment for many (if not most) people. that the OP routinely does it, in no way detracts from that.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
I rode 20miles today

It was no big deal. 4 people in my group and 4 in a slower group. Just a group of friends. We stopped twice to eat. Once for lunch, once for dinner. It took 3hrs longer than our usual 10 to 15 mile rides. There was no sag wagon, gran fondo fees, ride registration, crowds, questions to this forum about how to do it, just another lazy Sunday ride. It was not a race. Tomorrow I have an 18 mile ride, same deal. If I ride to the start it will be another 20. Did I mention it was not a gran fondo?, oh yeah I did.
I'm awesome.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
It was no big deal. 4 people in my group and 4 in a slower group. Just a group of friends. We stopped twice to eat. Once for lunch, once for dinner. It took 3hrs longer than our usual 10 to 15 mile rides. There was no sag wagon, gran fondo fees, ride registration, crowds, questions to this forum about how to do it, just another lazy Sunday ride. It was not a race. Tomorrow I have an 18 mile ride, same deal. If I ride to the start it will be another 20. Did I mention it was not a gran fondo?, oh yeah I did.
I'm awesome.
Snark Delivered! :thumbsup:

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I have to say, I'm kind of impressed that the OP is going for another 80-100 miles today. I've done a couple of centuries but have definitely needed a rest the next day.
If you normally ride 50 to 60 miles - your recovery time will most likely be less than a week-end warrior who tops out at 20 miles maybe twice a week. Really not that unusual. Don't know the age of the OP rider - but that might be a factor in recovery as well.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
What a great story. I've only ridden a handful of centuries so far this year, no organized rides ($$$) yet either. I won't bag on organized rides too much, the missus wants to do a ride this weekend as a challenge, and I will go along to support her, even though it's only a metric century. It's been awhile since I've mingled with wanna be racers and 300lb dudes riding hybrid bikes with aerobars.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeepers, you guys are a tough crowd. You can't let anything get by without over analyzing it to death.
I was just trying to show another side of the coin and say that some people do it all of the time because they ride a lot and it is just another ride. Not an event.
I am not superior to anybody.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
....most serious cyclists would agree that the first time you do 100 miles it is a big deal. After that if a normal ride is 50-60 then doing a 100 is no biggie.

to me doing 80 the next day is pretty impressive though

·
Registered
557 Posts
Jesus, what's up around this place?? The guy rode his bike. For quite a while. Is there some back story that I missed, or are some of the regulars getting old and grumpy?

Reactions: Eretz

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Jeepers, you guys are a tough crowd. You can't let anything get by without over analyzing it to death.
Usually the regulars are programmed to answer or respond to questions, not read statements.

I was just trying to show another side of the coin and say that some people do it all of the time because they ride a lot and it is just another ride. Not an event.
Many riders take an entire season to get in shape for a metric or mile century. An experienced licensed road rider usually is in great shape by this time of year. But an experienced licensed rider wouldn't be posting in General about the ease of a fellowship ride because they'd be out training or racing weekends. Some would be in between events and take a weekend to get time in the saddle readying for an upcoming race...

But you brought up some very interesting points. Back in the olde days many local cycling clubs had several long rides during a season with club members. Matter of fact, just about every touring club had a mile century in Septembre, they'd be grouped into coalition or chapter rides. Pay a small fee for a sag wagon and you're off. Picnic half way through the event or at the end.

What's surprising is, almost all those events are gone and replaced with fund raising events. You can't go on a club ride around these parts unless you're raising money for an event and forking out $50-$75 for entrance fees, more for a two day event. It becomes a part-time job to raise the donation doe and prepare everything in advance. Many people are drawn to the cause and support ...so my thinking is, many participate thinking about "cycling" as a byproduct, not the main event. The main event is the cause -raising money for the cause.

So, I can understand someone who has a tight group of friends who goes out on a double century every once in a while being under-whelmed ...that they're doing it just for the comradery ...without the drama of fund raising, knocks on doors for donations, emails and telephone calls to friends and family for a pledge or two, and ....half a paycheck for an entrance fee.

I completely understood/understand what you posted but you're in an arena where many here take all year to get into shape to do a metric/mile century, and most will be knocking on doors looking for pledges and support for some worthy cause perhaps too.

I am not superior to anybody.
I sometimes really miss those summers where a club went out for a couple really long rides all together for comradery, and nothing else. Times have changed, haven't they.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well said! I'm only on my second season of riding and I'm very frustrated that so many of the flagship events here in MN are fund-raisers that require larger donations/commitments than I can afford. I want to go on some legit, well-organized group rides (because I still want SAG support and an "experience") but I don't want to have to pimp my friends and family to support my hobby - no matter how noble the cause.

When I was a kid in Boy Scouts, we traded badges from different troops. I enjoyed building a collection based on the people I'd met and places I'd been. I seriously want to do the same with cycling jerseys and rides I've been on, but not at the cost of pestering people to sponsor me all summer long.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.