Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bummed. I hopped off the new rig to field a cell phone call, leaned her up against a tree and the wind blew her over. Nice little bugger on the top tube. Do mfg's still give out touch up paint?

Dang cell phone, do you turn yours off when riding?

SOB I'm depressed.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
man up.

it's just a scratch, may more yet to come :D

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Andrea138 said:
If that's the worst that ever happens to it, you're a lucky person.
+11. And yeah, turn the phone off. It's there for YOU to make an emergency call, if necessary.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
its always good to get the first scratch outta the way. sometimes i go to shops and just key every trek i see.

cell phones...if you have kids, leave it on. if not, what can happen in three hours that you cant deal with when you get back? impact event?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I scratched the paint on my top tube within minutes of getting on the bike (custom color at that too!) in the bike shop. Damn shimano cleat hit the tube when I put my leg over to dismount.

That was the first of a few here and there. It's all good. It'll get more scratches in future for sure with road grime etc.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
weltyed said:
its always good to get the first scratch outta the way. sometimes i go to shops and just key every trek i see.

cell phones...if you have kids, leave it on. if not, what can happen in three hours that you cant deal with when you get back? impact event?
You WHAAAAAA??????

Bastid!!! So THAT'S why the folks who buy new Treks keep telling me theirs have scratches from the store! :devil:

I stopped carrying my cell as of late. But when I do, it's on. Although, I don't really care about any calls that come in etc. I only bother when I'm meeting a friend to ride.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
First one is the toughest.

Go to a auto parts store and buy some touch up paint......mix a couple of colors till it matches perfectly. Only you will know.

As to the cell. I have it with me. My wife & kids know that if it's an emergency, they dial, let it ring twice, hang up and dial again. If this happens, I'll answer on the second call....otherwise, I won't answer.

Len

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
1st scratch is a bummer, but oh well. it will get more.

·
Registered
896 Posts
wait till you crash it. i've laid down my race bike 3 times. its got the war wounds to prove it. its still goes just as fast.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
JustTooBig said:
+11. And yeah, turn the phone off. It's there for YOU to make an emergency call, if necessary.
meh. I wouldn't jump on his case, some people like being connected more than others. At least the OP had the decency to stop and take the call rather than continue on down the road with no hands on the bars like some dickwad who passed me last week.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Bummer on the first scratch, glad it is out of the way! Now you can relax a little more when you are out riding. At least you stopped to get the call like jsedlak said. I have kids and we have the same 2 ring policy. I will pick up on the 2nd call.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
When I did my Ciocc restomod I went with white powdercoat, it has some scratches on it already, I've heard of people using nail polish to touch up frames.

I usually turn off the cell or set it to vibrate so I can call them back when I'm not flying down the road.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
11 seasons, no scratches

saddle tramp said:
I'm bummed. I hopped off the new rig to field a cell phone call, leaned her up against a tree and the wind blew her over. Nice little bugger on the top tube. Do mfg's still give out touch up paint?

SOB I'm depressed.
Sorry about that. I've had my bike for 11 seasons and over 100,000 miles. Not a scratch on it. That's the beauty of 6/4 titanium :)

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Don't make me do my Grant Petersen rant again.

saddle tramp said:
I'm bummed. I hopped off the new rig to field a cell phone call, leaned her up against a tree and the wind blew her over. Nice little bugger on the top tube.
OK, just the short version, from something Grant wrote years ago: "It's a piece of outdoor equipment. It's going to get scratched".
As several other people have probably pointed out (I don't have the heart to read another whole thread about a scratch), you can get matching paint from a car parts place, or check the nail polish aisle in a drug store near a junior high school. Testor's model paints also are good (the green on my Atlantis is the same color as the interior of Russian military vehicles).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I agree with the Testors model paint, fingernail polish, and mixing a couple colors together. Keep in mind that it'll never be perfect. When this happens to me, naturally, I want perfection too. If you can reduce the contrast so it's not as noticible nobody will notice it's there unless you point it out to them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Uh, was mountain biking a few months back, My wife pulled her back out while I was gone. I have a 2 year old also that was with her. Leave your phone on. Set up special ring tones for people who may call in an emergency.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts