Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been road biking for about a decade now, and on a long ride the other day I hit some rough pavement and realized I still don't feel very secure riding on the hoods. I've tried various positions and angles of the handlebars and the hoods, but since they are essentially pointed away from the bike and I am not able to wrap my whole hand around them (I can get a few fingers wrapped around but others are stopped by the handlebars). This makes me feel like a rapid deceleration or some rough bumps are going to send my hands right off the hoods. In any case, it feels a lot less secure of a position than mountain bike style bars that are perpendicular to the velocity of the bike.

Using the brakes from the hoods also seems like a worse position compared to the drops since you can't get as much leverage. You're pulling from an angle as opposed to directly back.

Anybody else notice this? Any tips or suggestions? (I'm thinking about switching to a different style of bar like moustache or the One One Midge bars).

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Have you had an instance of going over the bars, losing control of the bike while in this riding position due to the factors you mentioned? You hit a deep pot hole, a rider goes down in front of you...those are instances that are tough to overcome. Otherwise, good bike handling skills come with being able to position your weight distribution for the terrain-situation present. It takes a moment to react but there will be instances that that moment is not going to matter...and you will go down. I've gone down my share and the thought about my hand position whether 2 fingers, whole hand grip would have been negligible. I've not thought about the hoods as being a poor hand position.

If you desire the whole hand grip, a flat bar or variations of it will be the better solution for your riding style.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The hand grip is actually one of the lesser reasons you would go flying off a bike in the event of a bumpy ride.

Body position and looseness combined with some body english if things get hairy, are what you should be concerned about. A death grip on the bars could make the feelings you are having worse. Loosen up, Literally as in your grip.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use Campy levers almost exclusively from the hoods. Even without the huge head that Shimano levers have, I never feel like I'm going to slide off.

Without gloves sometimes I feel like I'll slide off the sides, but that's a different problem.

Could you try raising your bars so you use the drops exclusively? Won't look pretty but it might give you the confidence you need.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You feel you are more insecure with hands on the hoods but your arguments are all based on incorrect assumptions. If you can't get over this, then change to flat bars but realize you have offered no valid reason for being afraid of riding on the hoods. Perpendicular to the frame or up and away from the frame means nothing. Not enough leverage from the hoods? I can brake hard enough to skid the tires with 2 fingers on the levers from the hoods, anything more is meaningless. Did you have a bad accident at some point? I can't understand how you could come to feel this way especially after riding for 10 years? Take some lessons in how to ride a bike, seriously, or switch to mtn biking. You should be more afraid of those little tiny skinny tires on road bikes than riding on the hoods. You just "learn" to ride on the hoods.
nonsleepingjon said:
I've been road biking for about a decade now, and on a long ride the other day I hit some rough pavement and realized I still don't feel very secure riding on the hoods. I've tried various positions and angles of the handlebars and the hoods, but since they are essentially pointed away from the bike and I am not able to wrap my whole hand around them (I can get a few fingers wrapped around but others are stopped by the handlebars). This makes me feel like a rapid deceleration or some rough bumps are going to send my hands right off the hoods. In any case, it feels a lot less secure of a position than mountain bike style bars that are perpendicular to the velocity of the bike.

Using the brakes from the hoods also seems like a worse position compared to the drops since you can't get as much leverage. You're pulling from an angle as opposed to directly back.

Anybody else notice this? Any tips or suggestions? (I'm thinking about switching to a different style of bar like moustache or the One One Midge bars).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Might want to try to relax when riding on the hoods. Slightly bend the elbows and do not have a death grip.
Also, have you had an experienced rider or shop take a look at your brake lever angles/positioning and at the effectiveness of the brakes? As stated by others, I am very comfortable on the hoods. I only use the drops for steep or winding descents, alternative hand position or for really putting the hammer down around other riders.
As for the brakes. Are they adjusted right? Most brakes can be used effectively with a finger or two from the hoods.

Good luck with the problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get your levers as high up the bars as you can and still operate everything from the drops. You should be able to have those two positions and still shift and brake from either one. When things get sketchy it should be automatic to hit the drops fast, as this is your most stable position that said the hoods are your most comfortable position. Flat bars have only one position while drop bars have three, two of which can shift and brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts