Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I ever rode a road bike was on my friend Corsa with full carbon fiber and I was charging on flat road and uphill without really breaking a sweat. At that time I had a mountain bike so riding a road bike was like night and day.

Fast forward a year later and I have recently bought my first road bike, a 2012 GT series 4. I am struggling to even ride the bike at an even pace much less a fast pace. Every cyclist I know has pass by me and I feel like I'm riding as fast as a mountain bike. I'm riding on flat bike road and I can't even ride fast for more than a minute. I also don't actually understand the microshift shifter and it constantly has that clicky cranky sound no matter what gears I'm on. My saddle also is very harsh and stiff and it hurt just sitting on it. After 25 minutes of riding my leg are dam tire and I'm exhausted.

I don't know if it my bike or if it me or if the wheels aren't fully pump, need to degrease my chain, etc.. There probably a host of reason and I'm completely clueless.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The first time I ever rode a road bike was on my friend Corsa with full carbon fiber and I was charging on flat road and uphill without really breaking a sweat. At that time I had a mountain bike so riding a road bike was like night and day.

Fast forward a year later and I have recently bought my first road bike, a 2012 GT series 4. I am struggling to even ride the bike at an even pace much less a fast pace. Every cyclist I know has pass by me and I feel like I'm riding as fast as a mountain bike. I'm riding on flat bike road and I can't even ride fast for more than a minute. I also don't actually understand the microshift shifter and it constantly has that clicky cranky sound no matter what gears I'm on. My saddle also is very harsh and stiff and it hurt just sitting on it. After 25 minutes of riding my leg are dam tire and I'm exhausted.

I don't know if it my bike or if it me or if the wheels aren't fully pump, need to degrease my chain, etc.. There probably a host of reason and I'm completely clueless.

Any help would be appreciated.
I think that this is a problem that results from not taking the time to visit many LBS and test riding a wide variety of bikes. However, that said, in order for you to arrive at a solution to your problem, I would suggest that you now visit a number of LBS and test ride a few bikes in order to get the gist of how your bike performs, by comparison. That will at least let you know how much of your problem is a direct consequence of your own physical contribution.

If the problem turns out to be the bike, I would recommend that you convert to either Sora or Tiagra shifters and drivetrain. Alternatively, you could just sell the bike and buy another one, that fits properly and has better components.

Change your saddle to something more comfortable, immediately! However, you probably need to get a proper fit as well.

Join a bicycle co-op, so that you can maintain and upgrade your own bike at your own leisure.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When you say everyone you know passes you, are you talking about every stranger you see on the road or specific people? If it's specific people, maybe they're just fast? Maybe you're not seeing the forest for the trees.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the quick reply!

I found out what the problem is. My chain doesn't ever reach my front large gear so I was peddling very hard and not going very fast at all. Once that is fix, I'll update and see if it make a huge differences.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
You need to train smarter not harder. Simply Google: Interval Training for Cycling, and start working on doing intervals and your performance will increase.

And if you really enjoy cycling and want to dedicate a life long passion of doing so then you probably going to need a better bike someday, in the meantime take your bike to an LBS and have them figure out why it's making the noise your hearing. Probably all you need is a tune-up which may cost you around $120 and the bike will ride a lot better.

·
Hold on I'm watching this
360 Posts
Have you considered perhaps draining off a few pints of blood a few days before a ride and then pumping it back in right before your ride? I have heard it can give you an edge.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Have you considered perhaps draining off a few pints of blood a few days before a ride and then pumping it back in right before your ride? I have heard it can give you an edge.
I wondering, if I drain off a few pints of blood and pump pure oxygen into the blood via a pump with a bubblier, will I get an edge?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay people are no longer passing me by in a flash, but riding the bike is still exhausting. Some guy on the Cervelo pass me by easily and he wasn't really peddling hard. Is this the different between a 3K and a 1K bike? I know that 95% is the rider skills and only 5% is the bike though he did have huge leg muscles.

I only been riding on gear 2 and that alone took out most of my energy. The bike is probably just as fast as the other bikes but I don't have the strength for fast speed at the moment.

Can't believe how out of shape I am for not riding a bike for a year. I used to ride uphill on my mountain bike everyday and would race other mountain biker on the road, and now I can't even beat a guy riding a mountain bike on my road bike.

Oh the bike still have that clanked sound but I don't really want to pay $120 for a tune up at the moment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay people are no longer passing me by in a flash, but riding the bike is still exhausting. Some guy on the Cervelo pass me by easily and he wasn't really peddling hard. Is this the different between a 3K and a 1K bike? I know that 95% is the rider skills and only 5% is the bike though he did have huge leg muscles.

I only been riding on gear 2 and that alone took out most of my energy. The bike is probably just as fast as the other bikes but I don't have the strength for fast speed at the moment.

Can't believe how out of shape I am for not riding a bike for a year. I used to ride uphill on my mountain bike everyday and would race other mountain biker on the road, and now I can't even beat a guy riding a mountain bike on my road bike.

Oh the bike still have that clanked sound but I don't really want to pay $120 for a tune up at the moment.
Rider is probably 90 %, bike 10%. Keep riding (heaps) and you'll be keeping up with Cervelo guy in a bit. It never gets easier, you just get faster. Persist!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rider is probably 90 %, bike 10%. Keep riding (heaps) and you'll be keeping up with Cervelo guy in a bit. It never gets easier, you just get faster. Persist!!
First thing first, got to get a speedometer tomorrow along with some Tifosi sunglasses. Might need a trainer too cause in 25 minutes of riding my whole water bottle is empty.

Thanks for the encouragement! Not sure how long it would take for me to get back in shape like I was a year ago?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
First thing first, got to get a speedometer tomorrow along with some Tifosi sunglasses. Might need a trainer too cause in 25 minutes of riding my whole water bottle is empty.

Thanks for the encouragement! Not sure how long it would take for me to get back in shape like I was a year ago?
When your pedal is all the way down, in its 6:30 position, the ball of your foot should be centered upon the pedal and there should be a very slight bend at your knee. So slight is that bend in your knee, that your leg should almost look straight (but it's definitely NOT straight).

Adjust your seat to that point, in order to get the maximum torque from the energy that you apply.

Join a bicycle co-op so that you will be able to repair and upgrade your own bicycle. Take the bus and visit some biycle shops. Test ride other bicycles so that you can better tell if the problem is you or the bike.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Why do I get the feeling this post is nothing but a massive troll.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.