Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that i am a paid member of zwift for the past month, i want to give some feedback that may or may not be useful to you all.

Zwift has real potential to be great. In the sense it is become a bit more interactive. No longer are riders constricted by one route or a type ride.

So zwift has released a couple options:
Flat Course
Hilly course
Figure 8: Long course which a lot of turns and better variety of terrain, i think figure 8 is the best option for "group rides".

The mobile app is vastly improved. If you are an iphone user, you get the benefit of the bluetooth bridge. The blue tooth bridge i think is a game changer, in terms of setting your zwift rig up.

Now they added follow members, so if your following them you can drop in on there ride.

Workouts: going in the right direction, however what would make zwift awesome would be if it partnered up with trainerroad. Trainerroad has the best library and functionality for workouts.

Training peaks is now connected with zwift. So i guess at this point, more platform integration to come.

The best option though is they now added 3s power averaging to the display. I would use my garmin to display the 3s power so now i can look at the screen.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does that work? Do you drop in right at their location?
On the intro screen, you see the list of riders. You have your following to the top of the list. You check this box and click ride. You start slightly ahead to build up a bit of speed, so you can follow.

You start within close enough proximity, that you can slow or speed up to adjust. Additionally on the mobile app you can text directly to them.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
So now that i am a paid member of zwift for the past month, i want to give some feedback that may or may not be useful to you all.

Zwift has real potential to be great. In the sense it is become a bit more interactive. No longer are riders constricted by one route or a type ride.

So zwift has released a couple options:
Flat Course
Hilly course
Figure 8: Long course which a lot of turns and better variety of terrain, i think figure 8 is the best option for "group rides".

The mobile app is vastly improved. If you are an iphone user, you get the benefit of the bluetooth bridge. The blue tooth bridge i think is a game changer, in terms of setting your zwift rig up.

Now they added follow members, so if your following them you can drop in on there ride.

Workouts: going in the right direction, however what would make zwift awesome would be if it partnered up with trainerroad. Trainerroad has the best library and functionality for workouts.

Training peaks is now connected with zwift. So i guess at this point, more platform integration to come.

The best option though is they now added 3s power averaging to the display. I would use my garmin to display the 3s power so now i can look at the screen.
I haven't done much with the workout mode yet. If they develop an easy to use workout editor than they may put TR out of business. I think its going to be a painful transition getting back on the road this spring. I am a lot faster on Zwift than I am in real life.

Things I'd like to see added
- spectators (possibly scantily clad females) cheering you on
- A longer climb (I hear that is in the works)
- ability to block all the PR, chat and rider data from the screen

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done much with the workout mode yet. If they develop an easy to use workout editor than they may put TR out of business. I think its going to be a painful transition getting back on the road this spring. I am a lot faster on Zwift than I am in real life.

There is a work around for editing workouts.

On your computer there is a folder in the documents section. Open zwift documents, then open workouts. Copy and paste a trainerroad workout file into that section.

The longer climb is going to be on watopia. If your riding the flat course, after the aquaarium look for a mountain sign, it will be placed there.

Zwift in terms of speed, i have noticed its better on richmond, than watopia. I think alot of the issue is that it is a pain in the ass to model wind accurately.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been on Zwift for about a month. Still in my free trial period they offer to Strava Premium members. Initially was on a base mag trainer with my power meter. That was a pretty good experience. But I got a Kickr smart trainer last week and WOW! I've always hated trainer rides, but with Zwift and Kickr I found myself almost forgetting I was stuck indoors. Did 3 hours on it Saturday which was a record time for me.

The workout editor seems pretty easy to use. I've built a couple and it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been on Zwift for about a month. Still in my free trial period they offer to Strava Premium members. Initially was on a base mag trainer with my power meter. That was a pretty good experience. But I got a Kickr smart trainer last week and WOW! I've always hated trainer rides, but with Zwift and Kickr I found myself almost forgetting I was stuck indoors. Did 3 hours on it Saturday which was a record time for me.

The workout editor seems pretty easy to use. I've built a couple and it only takes a few minutes.
Yeah 3 hours is my absolute limit on the kickr. I tried to do an indoor century when the blizzard rolled into town, about 2 weeks ago. I just couldn't take any more than 3 hours straight peddaling.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts

They have an extremely easy to use workout editor... my guess is you have't tried it if you're think its hard... I can't imagine how they could make it easier.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have an extremely easy to use workout editor... my guess is you have't tried it if you're think its hard... I can't imagine how they could make it easier.
Here is the thing, about the editor:
You dont need to be a computer wiz to create a workout
You do need some patience
It can slow down a bit
Visually it has a unique style
Bars are color coded for zone visualization

What i wish is there was to enable/disable the erg support during the wokout.
Allowing certain segments of a workout to have erg support would be great to have.

The ramp segments odd. there ramp is more like a step, where a ramp in trainerroad is a progression.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
The ramp segments odd. there ramp is more like a step, where a ramp in trainerroad is a progression.
Well, in reality, in actual use... resistance isn't a gradual ramp, its a step because resistance is a function of the gear ratios. You click the next gear and it steps up, it doesn't gradually ramp up.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, in reality, in actual use... resistance isn't a gradual ramp, its a step because resistance is a function of the gear ratios. You click the next gear and it steps up, it doesn't gradually ramp up.
Not necessarily, as long as wattage is concerned it can be a gradual ramp. You dont have to gear up to increase wattage it can be subtle increase in cadence until you feel you need to shift up.

A flat that gradually goes parabolic upwards can be best represented by a parabolic curve or even linear, i dont see many steps in a power profile.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I guess I will have to look into it some more. For now I find I always get a good workout with Zwift. Even when I want to take is easy I end up getting caught in in chasing a new PR or latching onto a fast group

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
OK. I created a workout this morning. Now I have some questions I hope someone can answer. When you create a set of intervals, how do you pick what zone they are in? They always came up tempo for me and I could not change it. I ended up not using intervals and just doing each one manually. Also, is there any way to display text during the workout like you can in TR?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Now that it has BLE support, I setup an account and gave it a try, 10 miles in Richmond. I have to say, it was pretty fun and I worked a helluva lot harder than usual compared to my Spinerval trainer sessions. Looking forward to doing more.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
OK. I created a workout this morning. Now I have some questions I hope someone can answer. When you create a set of intervals, how do you pick what zone they are in? They always came up tempo for me and I could not change it. I ended up not using intervals and just doing each one manually. Also, is there any way to display text during the workout like you can in TR?
just grab the block and stretch it higher... You can also click in the text field and type in the number.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
just grab the block and stretch it higher... You can also click in the text field and type in the number.
Thanks. That worked. I could have sworn that tried it the first time. I'm blaming my cheapo wireless keyboard/trackball setup. I did my workout today and tweaked it a bit afterwards. I shortened the warm up/down, raised the starting % and added an interval. I agree, its pretty easy

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those who want the sufferfest and other workouts for zwift. The below link has direct downloads to the files to copy and paste in your zwift workout file.

Zwift Workouts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
How does that work? Do you drop in right at their location?
Wait, this could work well...... If I open zwift and see my buddy getting a better time for a hill ride, I can drop in with my virtual frame pump and drop him to the asphalt in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

Humm, I just have a KK road machine and looked at Zwift. So, no smart trainer.

Are there any tips for getting the most out of my KK Road machine?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Humm, I just have a KK road machine and looked at Zwift. So, no smart trainer.

Are there any tips for getting the most out of my KK Road machine?
Zwift will estimate power with the Kurt. You will need a sensor that provide wheel speed and cadence or you can use the Kurt inRide sensor. You will also need a computer with reasonable graphics performance and an ANT USB stick to receive the data

1 - 20 of 24 Posts