Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ciao Tutti!
My first posting to this awesome site.
Why do I suck, you may ask.
I just do.
Got a Bianchi aluminum custom job as my first bike back in Italy in 1998. I sucked then and I still do. Even with my new Madone SL 5.9, I still suck.
I suck because I average 20mph in the flats, but the second I come in the vicinity of a road grade greater than 0%, I slow down to a crawl. I have retirees passing me. I can handle that, but its the German tourists here in San Diego with the hairy legs, fenders, on their Ross 3-speeds with the right pants leg in a clip passing me on hills that really makes me realize how much I suck. It's the grandparents on the tandem in matching his/hers CycloVets jerseys kicking my arse that brings my suckiness home. A runner passed me the other day going up the Torrey Pines hill (inside the park, thank you very much). Boy, was I sucking then.
But you know what the thing about sucking is? Makes me want to get back out there and suck less.

Ci vediamo doppo
 

·
Coco Puff
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
poiano said:
Ciao Tutti!

Makes me want to get back out there and suck less.

Ci vediamo doppo
Great post, I've been trying to suck less for years, I just wish some of it would stick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
you can't buy speed, even if you can afford it.

Be a little modest and only buy what you require, nothing more.



I'm 21 and I plan on riding my first and only road bike into the grave at the ripe old age of whenever-I-feel-I-have-lived-a-full-life years old cuz I'll prolly suck for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
ciao
if a bike makes you think you are faster or better and as a result you begin to ride more or are inspired and start to bike faster, you in turn would become faster, now wouldn't you? buy what you can afford and what makes you happy, thats why we do it, no?
arrivederci
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I hate the how dare you be slower than me but have a nicer bike attitude I hear so often here. There will always be someone out there faster than you with a cheaper bike. Who are you or for that matter who is anyone to judge what bike is appropriate for another rider?

Ride what you like, what you can afford and what gets you out there more often. And keep for envious mouth shut if you have nothing nice to say when you pass a slower rider on a nicer bike that you can't afford on your "keeping it real" salary.
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,888 Posts
*uck!

poiano said:
Ciao Tutti!
My first posting to this awesome site.
Why do I suck, you may ask.
I just do.
Got a Bianchi aluminum custom job as my first bike back in Italy in 1998. I sucked then and I still do. Even with my new Madone SL 5.9, I still suck.
I suck because I average 20mph in the flats, but the second I come in the vicinity of a road grade greater than 0%, I slow down to a crawl. I have retirees passing me. I can handle that, but its the German tourists here in San Diego with the hairy legs, fenders, on their Ross 3-speeds with the right pants leg in a clip passing me on hills that really makes me realize how much I suck. It's the grandparents on the tandem in matching his/hers CycloVets jerseys kicking my arse that brings my suckiness home. A runner passed me the other day going up the Torrey Pines hill (inside the park, thank you very much). Boy, was I sucking then.
But you know what the thing about sucking is? Makes me want to get back out there and suck less.

Ci vediamo doppo
Wow! You do suck!
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Ride more and cry less.
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,513 Posts
wks9326 said:
I hate the how dare you be slower than me but have a nicer bike attitude I hear so often here. There will always be someone out there faster than you with a cheaper bike. Who are you or for that matter who is anyone to judge what bike is appropriate for another rider?

Ride what you like, what you can afford and what gets you out there more often. And keep for envious mouth shut if you have nothing nice to say when you pass a slower rider on a nicer bike that you can't afford on your "keeping it real" salary.
It ruins it often for people who are serious too...
If I pass someone on a DA or Record bike, or Colnago, Seven, et cetera, I'm in awe of the bike. They're pretty!
But if you say "nice bike" it comes across as really sarcastic and harsh, because of the people who declare that a slow rider shouldn't have a nice bike.

Ride a bike that is comfortable and works for you. If a 35 pound steel fixie is what you like, ride it! If a 8 pound Ghisallo is what you like, ride it!
Biking is about having fun. And you can go as fast as you want, or as slow as you want, as long as you're having fun. And the bike should be part of that fun. My take at least. Cuz frankly, 99% of us aren't going to be pros, aren't going to do anything great with a bike, all we can do is have fun. So we should!
Should a retiree not be allowed to buy a 400HP or whatnot Benz? They LIKE it! So what if they got it in automatic and are never going to race...
-estone2
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
662 Posts
Oh hell

Look, personally I would rather be in a custom machine going slow than a piece
of crap going all out. In a car is the sound of the engine and the handling.
In a bike, its a smooth drive train, transmission, feel of the rode, etc.
Forget the speed on the flats, inclines, you will get that on the downhills.
Cycling to me is being confident and knowing your machine such that you can
handle different situations.
 

·
Downhill Juggernaut
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
I thought the post was entertaining...

I too suck on anything that has a grade.
 

·
your god hates me
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
poiano said:
Having a bike that's better than me makes me want to be better

Ditto. I *never* want to be able to point to the bike as my excuse for why I can't do something...even if that something is climbing 20% grades at 20mph, or riding 300 miles a day, or maintaining 45mph into a headwind, I want to be able to look in the mirror and say "You -- and only you -- are the reason you couldn't do it."

And then I'll say "Because you suck" for good measure.

And then maybe, just maybe, I'll add "but damn, you are one handsome son-of-a-*****" though I'm not sure if that will help with the headwind thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I'm with you Brother

Funny but I was on a small group ride this morning that I always get shalacked on. The pace is usually pretty good on the flats leading to the climbs. As the climbs start I just watch as they get seperation on me. My excuse? I suck, just like you. But I enjoy nice bikes and being on the road with my pals.

Enjoy!
 

·
Racial Profiler
Joined
·
371 Posts
poiano said:
Ciao Tutti!
Why do I suck, you may ask.
I just do.

But you know what the thing about sucking is? Makes me want to get back out there and suck less.
I sucked a little less last night, but I still suck. My goal for this season is to suck less every week.

I upgraded to a higher "Club" group ride, and it's like the transition from High School to College. You go from the top of the heap back to the bottom.

But the upside is that I am now getting my azz handed to me by some of the sport's top riders, instead of the bourgeoisie.
 

·
Alien Musician
Joined
·
4,542 Posts
Ah!

I also once sucked as you did.

Still do, but less now.

But here's how I got better at climbing. I've been taking these spin classes and
the Wednesday guy is a total fire breathing monster. It's really helped.

So, what I really do is when I'm still on the flats I hurl myself at the hill like an
enraged banshee at full speed. I try not to get into the big ring because it
will hurt like heck during the climb but I might use it right up to the point
where the pave goes from flat to angled upwards.

I roar towards the hill pushing 30 miles an hour and then once I hit the hill
proper I keep spinning and get out of the saddle and start roaring like an
enraged howler monkey (that last part is optional).

By the time I hit the top I'm totally winded but the howler-monkey imitation
has gotten everyone else riding with me keeping their distance so they've
dropped behind out of fear.

By the time they catch up to me I've caught my breath and all is okay.

My wife watched me do this technique last night and she admitted that
it seemed like I went up a particurly hateful hill around here very fast.

If climbing seated doesn't help, try it out of the saddle.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top