Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Phil Liggett says "he better have something special" one more time, I am going to tell Bob Roll to stop holding back and kick his a**. He has said it at almost every single flat stage, and even managed to say it today for the tt when talking about Boonen. I wish he would get something new, surely he has other words to describe this.
Matt
P.s. Bob Roll and Al Trautwig are great, COMPLETELY UNBIASED COMMENTATORS and I love it when they talk about "An American win in the tour"
P.P.S. Bob Roll is the man for calling Hushovd's prologue win

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Haven't been following cycling too long..

mpetersen16 said:
If Phil Liggett says "he better have something special" one more time, I am going to tell Bob Roll to stop holding back and kick his a**. He has said it at almost every single flat stage, and even managed to say it today for the tt when talking about Boonen. I wish he would get something new, surely he has other words to describe this.
Matt
P.s. Bob Roll and Al Trautwig are great, COMPLETELY UNBIASED COMMENTATORS and I love it when they talk about "An American win in the tour"
Haven't been following cycling too long have you?

Phil Liggett has more cycling knowledge, and has seen more pro races that everybody posting on this board combined. The man is a wealth of cycling knowledge and has been around for a lot of important events during the history of cycling.

Bob Roll and Trautwig completely unbiased? What? Hardly.

Commentary coming from Phil and Paul is about 20 times better than Bob and Al. I like Bob, but would love to shove Al out of the booth.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
You are overly sensitive. Phil Liggett is pretty good. Except for his strange call when Hushovd was protesting McEwen, I have no issues with Phil.

mpetersen16 said:
I am not sure if you are joking or being secretly sarcastic, but you better be.

G

·
You seem to be in a spot of bother.

I love it when Paul Sherwin says that. Bob Roll is great. The only thing funnier than Bob is Homer Simpson. Funny, they seem to seperated at birth.

· What the Hell is going on
6,025 Posts
Wrong 'em Boyo

mpetersen16 said:
It was Al Troutfish who picked Hushovd's prologue win (and Bobbke, Paul, and Phil snickered girlishly).

Phil & Paul are, by far, the best cycling commentators. I had the unfortunate experience to watch OLN's "Prime Time Extended Tour Coverage" one evening and Bobbke and Troutfish were talking about real estate prices on French castles. WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
JaeP said:
It was Al Troutfish who picked Hushovd's prologue win (and Bobbke, Paul, and Phil snickered girlishly).

Phil & Paul are, by far, the best cycling commentators. I had the unfortunate experience to watch OLN's "Prime Time Extended Tour Coverage" one evening and Bobbke and Troutfish were talking about real estate prices on French castles. WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
if i may: Phil & Paul are, by far, the best cycling commentators for the English speaking audience.

They don't hold a candle to Belgian, or even Dutch commentators.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was joking about the Bob and Al being unbiased, they are so biased it is not funny (actually it is). I love how they talk about a "win for America" and they seem to favor Hincapie, Landis and Leipheimer, whereas Liggett and Paul seem to be less biased, but still to be favoring the aussies. Phil might have more know how, but Bob gets my vote for favorite commentator because of his easygoing nature, and his goofy smile lol, plus his commentary is more fun and entertaining I think. Is there anyway I can make this into a poll without creating a new post?
Matt

· Registered
129 Posts
During the itt yesterday, I couldn't beleive that either Ligget orSherwin said that McEwen was going to pass boonen on the sprint, yeah it's a tt not a flat stage(that means there's no sprint). Thats pretty damn biased, Boonen catches him from two minutes behind and they think he's not going to drop McEwen. Come on.

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
asawlrider123456789 said:
During the itt yesterday, I couldn't beleive that either Ligget orSherwin said that McEwen was going to pass boonen on the sprint, yeah it's a tt not a flat stage(that means there's no sprint). Thats pretty damn biased, Boonen catches him from two minutes behind and they think he's not going to drop McEwen. Come on.
It was Sherwen, he was joking and it was funny.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
asawlrider123456789 said:
He was surely joking, but it did seem for a moment that there was a bit of rivalry going on and McEwen didn't like being passed like that. I was thinking the same thing before Sherwen said anything.

I can assure you Sherwen and anyone who watched more than one grand tour knows that ITT doesn't matter for sprinters. But I would have enjoyed it if they went for an all-out sprint in the end - with time trial bikes, no leadouts and all. That would have been awesome!

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
botto said:
if i may: Phil & Paul are, by far, the best cycling commentators for the English speaking audience.

They don't hold a candle to Belgian, or even Dutch commentators.
Flipping heck! They're WORSE than Herbert "Mumble" Dijkstra, Maarten "Ow Ow Ow" Ducrot and Mart "Sjappo" Smeets? :eek:

· Banned
3,317 Posts
Bob Roll sucks. He's a total Lance / Discover fanboy. I'm sick of his ass-kissing of Lance, Hincapie, or any other Disco rider. Man, Bob, STFU. Stop smoking that freaking weed.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
If you have any smarts, you'll watch or tape the morning coverage and miss Bob Roll completely.

I'm sure the Disco / American focus comes directly from the network. Tried to watch the Olympics in the past 20 years? If you ain't a bonified star or you aren't an American, you ain't on.

· Registered
38 Posts
FondriestFan said:
Bob Roll sucks. He's a total Lance / Discover fanboy. I'm sick of his ass-kissing of Lance, Hincapie, or any other Disco rider. Man, Bob, STFU. Stop smoking that freaking weed.
Bob Roll is on the payroll and the kool-aid. Disco owns OLN, Bob does Trek commercials, Bob rode with Lance on training rides in GA after his chemo. If you can just accept Bobke for the salary boy, cheerleader, eating the peanuts out and Lance's poop, he's rather entertaining to watch in a train wreck kind of way. The ONLY thing that I kinda like about Bob and Al's coverage is they are actually quiet for a bit, that's prolly because they have run out of stupid things to say, but it's nice to just have some natural sound sometimes, but still, Phil and Paul rock!

If you have ever seen Team America: World Police, you can just see Bob as one of them singing, "America, f*ck yeah."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.