Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
And why wouldn't he be? Sagan is the infant terribel (French sp?) of the peloton these days. You would be a fool not to be aware of the threat posed by that certain young Slovak - especially if you have been injured and have had less than stellar results lately.
Spartacus will rally - but he is not alone in feeling a certain amount of angst when a kid comes along and shows every sign of being the next great champion of our time - hell if I were in Fabu's cycling shoes right now I'd be less than happy about facing Sagan in a one-day event. Boonen's is hurting - Sagan is just warming up. Intimidating indeed.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Everyone is speaking of him like he is a classics god. Just looked at his palamares, and I don't see a single win in a classic. Lots of placings but no wins. What does that tell me? He has no team to win. You can scrap to get placings, but it takes a team to get the wins. In his wins have you ever seen Cannondale deliver him to the line? If he can get a solid team, he will be unstoppable.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Had not had to protect Nibali in the past, he would probably had more wins and less placings.

But this year there's no Nibali to protect on his team...

·
your text here
13,195 Posts
Wrong read.

Spartacus is angry that his move has been identified and kept him off the top block. This is more him airing his grievance that nobody works with him, they just hitch a ride on his locomotive.

It's also a heads-up to all other riders. Basically, if you get in a break with me, expect to work. If you get in a break with Sagan and me, expect to work and be beaten by my motoring skills or sagans sprint.

It's also setting fanspectations, as well as going on the excuse offensive.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I don't think Sagan was held back by his team last year - seems he attacked a lot and featured well in most races - I suspect it"s more about maturity and just increasing strength and endurance.

Also, I suspect we are in a transitional stage - a generational shift with a new crop of younger stronger riders emerging and eclipsing the veterans. Spartacus has been covered and his wheel stuck to like crazy glue since he went on his classics rampage - it's to be expected - always happens to the most feared riders.

Sagan may not have the long list of wins of a veteran, but he has all the hallmarks of becoming one of the top riders of his generation. People would clamp on to his wheel as well - if only they could keep up!

·
your text here
13,195 Posts
Also, I suspect we are in a transitional stage - a generational shift with a new crop of younger stronger riders emerging and eclipsing the veterans. Spartacus has been covered and his wheel stuck to like crazy glue since he went on his classics rampage - it's to be expected - always happens to the most feared riders.

Sagan may not have the long list of wins of a veteran, but he has all the hallmarks of becoming one of the top riders of his generation. People would clamp on to his wheel as well - if only they could keep up!
/\this.

just like the new qb and offensive schemes in the nfl.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Fabian's comments worked. Sagan did a lot of work in the finale. Fabian himself was not quite able to take advantage but I bet Gerald Coileck is pretty happy about it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It almost always sucks being first loser, but in those conditions after a long day that must suck. Being a marked rider makes it almost impossible to win in yesterdays senario, no one is going to give Sagan a chance to rest behind a wheel. As far as Cannondale not having a team to get him up there, I'm not sure I agree. Besides Sky showing superhuman strength, Cannondale has been working for the start of the gun when Sagan is favored. A few hours of work keeping him safe before they leave him near the front. Not bad if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Sagan made a simple mistake in jumping for the line too early--that's on him, not his team. Too bad for him, but he will learn from it. Everyone in that front bunch rode a heroic race.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Sagan made a simple mistake in jumping for the line too early--that's on him, not his team. Too bad for him, but he will learn from it. Everyone in that front bunch rode a heroic race.
I wonder if Sagan and Spartacus knew that that was Ciolek and that Ciolek is one of the fastest guys inside 250m. Were they hoping to shake Ciolek? It didn't work. Ciolek played this one to perfection, holding wheels while Sagan and Cancellera exchanged attacks. Good on him

MSR is always a great race.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
It almost always sucks being first loser, but in those conditions after a long day that must suck. Being a marked rider makes it almost impossible to win in yesterdays senario, no one is going to give Sagan a chance to rest behind a wheel. As far as Cannondale not having a team to get him up there, I'm not sure I agree. Besides Sky showing superhuman strength, Cannondale has been working for the start of the gun when Sagan is favored. A few hours of work keeping him safe before they leave him near the front. Not bad if you ask me.
yeah Sagan is a marked man. Guys ain't gonna let him suck wheels anymore. And no doubt the fact that he didn't win might have had something to do with him not being able to suck wheel and actually had to work.

I wonder had Sagan been more friendly and behaved nicely and be amicable, I wonder if Cancellara might have let him sucked his wheels. I tend to think so.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I wonder if Sagan and Spartacus knew that that was Ciolek and that Ciolek is one of the fastest guys inside 250m. Were they hoping to shake Ciolek? It didn't work. Ciolek played this one to perfection, holding wheels while Sagan and Cancellera exchanged attacks. Good on him

MSR is always a great race.
Exactly, like on the old days,your worst nightmare would be if you let Oscarito or Zabel to get into de head group over the Poggio

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.