Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am reluctant to admit it but it may be true...I think I have become a recreational cyclist.

I bought my first 10 speed bike, a Schwinn Varsity, at age 12. I joined an outdoor activity club for the cycling events. I traded up to a Schwinn Sports Tourer, then a Fuji Finest. At age 15 I meet guys that raced and I became hooked. I bought a pro road bike and joined a racing team. I then bought a track bike. I raced full seasons of road and track events for decades. Several years ago I began racing only partial seasons, then only local training crits and track events. Last year it was only a few of the training crits. This year nothing. I did roller training and weight work over the winter. I did spring training and continued to ride throughout the year, but never raced. Then, a few weeks ago I was doing some bike maintenance. I removed the computer and did not put it back on.

Have I become a recreational rider?! Will I have to let hair grow on my legs?! Will I need to get... a...oh God, don't make me say it...a...a...a mirror?!!!!

· Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
RagbraiNewB said:
You should look at recumbents. They're really cool.
And after you do that, look at this: http://www.ultracycling.com/

“Young has no meaning. It’s something you can do nothing about.....nothing at all. But youth is a quality and if you have it, you never lose it”. Frank Lloyd Wright

· Registered
520 Posts
you know, my computer broke this spring and i have yet to replace it. i don't know my max speed, my total distance in kilometers, my average heart-rate... but damn if my legs don't look good and i do enjoy the scenery more it seems.

· Registered
157 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I won't say I'm recreational yet, but with 2 & 3 year old children the racing has took a backseat. Raced 4 times this year, had planned about 10. Still enjoy riding as much as ever. Just lost some desire to get up at 5 am, driving 2-3 hours and then race.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.