Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am reluctant to admit it but it may be true...I think I have become a recreational cyclist.

I bought my first 10 speed bike, a Schwinn Varsity, at age 12. I joined an outdoor activity club for the cycling events. I traded up to a Schwinn Sports Tourer, then a Fuji Finest. At age 15 I meet guys that raced and I became hooked. I bought a pro road bike and joined a racing team. I then bought a track bike. I raced full seasons of road and track events for decades. Several years ago I began racing only partial seasons, then only local training crits and track events. Last year it was only a few of the training crits. This year nothing. I did roller training and weight work over the winter. I did spring training and continued to ride throughout the year, but never raced. Then, a few weeks ago I was doing some bike maintenance. I removed the computer and did not put it back on.

Have I become a recreational rider?! Will I have to let hair grow on my legs?! Will I need to get... a...oh God, don't make me say it...a...a...a mirror?!!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
RagbraiNewB said:
You should look at recumbents. They're really cool.
Also look into some SPD sandals.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
RagbraiNewB said:
You should look at recumbents. They're really cool.
And after you do that, look at this: http://www.ultracycling.com/

“Young has no meaning. It’s something you can do nothing about.....nothing at all. But youth is a quality and if you have it, you never lose it”. Frank Lloyd Wright

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
AlanE said:
Just call yourself a "retired racer"
aka - ol' phart. And that's ok.

I know one who's 92 and he rides our 50 degree indoor board track. And another one, 84, who hangs onto my back wheel on that track until 37kph (23mph) and that's ok too. I'm a young 'un of 62.

·
Registered
520 Posts
you know, my computer broke this spring and i have yet to replace it. i don't know my max speed, my total distance in kilometers, my average heart-rate... but damn if my legs don't look good and i do enjoy the scenery more it seems.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Welcome to Team OFFA. (Old Farts Falling Apart) I'm the vice president.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I won't say I'm recreational yet, but with 2 & 3 year old children the racing has took a backseat. Raced 4 times this year, had planned about 10. Still enjoy riding as much as ever. Just lost some desire to get up at 5 am, driving 2-3 hours and then race.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts