Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitt'n in the ol' Taco's n Beer with the family....They had PGA Masters playing and Im thinking, dam-n, why did I not figure this out early in life....become a golf pro. I am watching this dude, dressed in whatever he wants, hitt'n a ball and people clap when he/she finishes a hole. All seems polite, and I assume most golfers do not ride bikes or run marathons....yet they get $$. Not to downplay the "sport" but geez.....these dudes/gals have a good thing. I am certain that if I were a golf pro, I would have been arrested, at some point in time, for something.......:blush2:

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I don't follow golf closely but used to play a lot and worked at a golf course when I was a kid. I notice Bernhard Langer is in 3rd today. He was a star and making bank back in the 80's. That's a nice career. There is a fair amount of pressure on these guys and at the bottom of the sport, I think it compares to guys scraping by in minor league baseball, NBA 10 day contracts and so forth. That being said if I got to choose one game to be the among worlds best at I would seriously consider golf.

Downside to golf. In the past few years, you have to get used to people yelling and cheering like a MMA match every - single - time you hit or putt the ball.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
+I had a friend who gave it a shot.

He more or less grew up on one the better local courses, played for the college team, and was seriously better than anyone I knew. (A bit like the friend who went on to play professional soccer).

He was working as a caddy at the course, hooked up with some local high rollers who agreed to stake him the cash needed to join the Tour (lots of travel expenses). He paid his dues, started to make the cut for tournaments and all--but never became a household word or made the big times--in short as hfc says, lived a life not dissimilar to the guys chasing their dreams in AAA baseball.

Still though--cool if you make the cut!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
There is good, and then there is PGA tour good. These guys are seriously way out on the edge if the genetic bell curve and then they work their butts off and then , only if they have nerves of steel do they make it to the tour.

Some if the things they do week in and week out are amazing.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
Same way with any pro sport. It looks so easy when they do it.

Crazy part is when some high school jock says "I could of made pro if I didn't knock up the cheerleader that became my first wife"

Yeah, sure you could.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I got down to a 1hcp... thousands of ppl still better, maybe 10's of thousands... kinda like cycling then. Having played with many Division 1 college players and some run of the mill pros.. it's no contest.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I got down to a 1hcp... thousands of ppl still better, maybe 10's of thousands... kinda like cycling then. Having played with many Division 1 college players and some run of the mill pros.. it's no contest.
Yeah, and a 1hcp is probably in the top 1 percent of all golfers.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
yea, a 1 hcp playing the members setup at Augusta would be lucky to break 80

Playing the course set up for the Masters, they would be lucky to break 90

Play the course on Sunday of the Masters w the crowds and the pressure and breaking 100 would be a good day

len

1 - 11 of 11 Posts