Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a big ride on Sunday with lot's of climbing, other than being toast I thought all was well until Monday when I found I had some pain behind my upper thigh. I took a short/flat ride to spin out my legs and this made it hurt worse. So IF I hurt a hammy, what does one do? I did not ride today and have been iceing it down from time to time but what else can you do?

· Banned
92 Posts
I noticed on your profile that you also asked in another thread about blood in your urine.
Have you ever heard of a doctor. jeeeeez...

Here is my advice, dont't use a cycling message board for medical advice.

Still want medical advice from me ok here you go. When I pull a hammy I invite a close friend over to shave my kak. It really helps. You should also put the bike down for a couple of days and do sprints up a tall hill on a hot day while drinking large amounts of your fav beer.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
Geez Johnie....

You expect the guy to run to the doctor because of a pulled hamstring....Come on....

Plus, some doctors are good and some aren't and therefore it is nice to go in loaded with some info and at times the message boards are a good place to get info...Trust me...My wife was dealing with blood in her urine also, and she hooked up with a doctor who gave her way more info then her own doctor did...It allowed her to have constructive discussions with her doctor and make sure all necessary tests were performed...

Sorry, but a person needs to be informed and a good place to start is message boards...

Rich

· Non Non Cyclist
5,779 Posts
You've got the first half of RICE down...

The Rest and Ice part...now add the compression (Ace wrap) and possibly the elevation, although I'm not sure how much elevation will help will a hamstring. Also, ibuprofen is your friend.

· Registered
602 Posts
Happens to me from time to time

I like to get in some tennis during the summer as well as summer. This does nothing for my cycling but does contribute to the occasional muscle pull. I think it has to do with using the whole muscle in running rather than just a portion for cycling (IDK). Anyway, my remedy is as follows:

First, I take one day off the bike. The next day I get a massage to iron out any knots and take a short easy spin in the afternoon. The next day I'm back to normal.

Of course, consult your doctor before proceeding :D

· Registered
2,643 Posts
sounds like a sore muscle not a pulled muscle

A pulled muscle is a traumatic injury that hurts like hell as soon as it happens. If it had happened to your hamstring, you would have stopped pedaling if not riding.

Your description sounds much more like delayed onset muscle soreness which should, with R.I.C.E., as described by a previous poster, get a little better every day. Ibuprofen and lots of water help me when I get this. If you're a believer in these kinds of things, Arnica, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C also help me recover but many insist that they are of little or no value. I'm pretty suggestible and very willing to be cured by placebos, so ymmv.

· Incredibly slow
581 Posts
I agree with the others that this doesn't sound like (much of) a pulled hamstring. There are different degrees of pulls, the most serious being when you hear and feel the muscle tearing, and your entire hamstring ends up black a day or two later. There are three treatments I know of: RICE, RICE and RICE. In the meantime figure out how and why you ended up with the pull in the first place, so that you can prevent future problems. I figured out that I am no longer in my 20s, so I need to stretch more before taking on my daughter in a footrace.

· Registered
1,469 Posts
if your ham or upper calf is sore after climbs then I think....

Rondo said:
I had a big ride on Sunday with lot's of climbing, other than being toast I thought all was well until Monday when I found I had some pain behind my upper thigh. I took a short/flat ride to spin out my legs and this made it hurt worse. So IF I hurt a hammy, what does one do? I did not ride today and have been iceing it down from time to time but what else can you do?
your saddle may be too high. Drop it 3mm-5mm and see. This is what happened to me. I ended up dropping the saddle (very gradually, 2-3mm per week over ~5 weeks) by ~10mm in total. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.