Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been having foot/shoe issues for the last few years now and I think I finally solved it after realizing SIDI shoes just don't fit my forefoot anymore.

In the last few years my forefoot as widened with age. I always had a low-volume and normal to slightly narrow foot. Now my forefoot as widened a bit and having some large Flintstone like big toes does not help either.
My feet are still on the narrow side form mid-foot to the heel. Finding running shoes has been tough, but not like this. There are SOOO many more options with running shoes.

After going through several brands/sizes of shoes and insoles I seemed to have found a shoe that were great in the Northwave Revenge and Aerator Pros. But the 2 revenge shoes has issues with the cleat interface. The screw holes cracked. So I returned them to STP for a refund.

Now my Aerator Pro fit just about perfect from forefoot to the heel. Now they were a bit higher volume than I liked, but Specialized insoles helped. But fiddling with cleat position and what not, I would still get HS and calluses on my big toes.

I talked with a few fitters and a podiatrist and we came to the conclusion since I had really long toes, I really need to get my cleats all the was back. I loose a bit of power and it feels weird, but the HS seem gone.

Then a week later my Aerator screw holes cracked. NW replaced the shoe ASAP with the New Aerlite SBS. This was one of the BEST shoes I have ever slipped on my feet. They were slipper like my old DMT and SIDI shoes I loved with the Italian feel and fit I longed for.

BUT NW changed the fit of their shoes. They no longer have the wider toe box many NW fans enjoyed. They are more like DMT and SIDI with a more traditional shape. So off to eBay they went. Amazing feel and fit overall, but not for me.

So off to some Shimano R215 and the R151 fit ok. But after a few weeks, they are not for me. Not wide enough for me. Comfortable, but I need just a bit more width as these are a tad too snug.

So giving up on Italian shoes, I decided to get some Shimano R220E shoes.

After 4hrs in them I can say BINGO! The fit is just what I need. I have the room in the toe box I need, normal volume and towards the heel. They are a tad, I mean a tad loose in the heel, but the customer heating of these will completely solve this issue.

I will know for sure after getting a long 60+ mile ride in this weekend if I finally found bliss. If so, then I am going to also get some R300E on closeout.

Those will be custom fit after the heating to give me a perfect fit. MY LBS who fit the R220 on my said they will feel even better (R300) after the baking and vacuum process.

If this all fails, then I will have to go a custom route. But those D2 and Rocket shoes are ugly. But life is to short to have foot pain like I have been having.

I hope this helps others with similar issues.

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
Once you get them shrunk and have a few hundred miles on them let us know. I've been having shoe/foot problems forever. Fat feet, mortons neuroma and the like. Definitely interested in you longer term review.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If those don't work out for you. You should give LAKE a try. Their normal width shoe is a little wider than the norm. And they do make shoes in wide too.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Moontrane said:
Nicely done, DB. Now about those Shimano R215 and R151: If memory serves, you’re close to my size, so what became of those Shimanos? Size 42?
151 went back to performance as the soles delaminated. 215s sold to a buddy, sorry.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, congrats on finding something that works for you. My issue is with my knee and it was solved with my Lake mountain bike shoes and Candy pedals. I tried Sidi and Specialized shoes and they oth caused significant knee pain. I am going to get some D2's to address any type of shoe issue I might be having. The Lakes are very wide compared to the Sidi and Specy. The D2 are pretty funky in the styling department, but I figure it is function before fashion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.