Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of grabbing a new frame set. I'm currently on a 14' Focus Cayo Evo Team. The frames that I'm looking at are (in no particular order):

Giant Advanced Pro:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.pro.frameset/22170/84111/#technologies

Cervelo R3:
https://www.cervelo.com/en-us/road/r-series/r3

and Franco Balcom S:
Balcom S / Pro Competition Road Bike / Franco Bicycles / Franco Bicycles

Why the Franco you ask? I get a team deal on the Franco, and have heard nothing but good things about them, and have spoken to one of the owners a few times. They have amazing customer service to boot.

I started racing this year, and this bike will be used to race, train, and just have fun on. All have close enough geometries that I would be comfortable on either. I've been trying to find real world weights for the Giant and Cervelo but haven't found much. Any insight to any or all of these is greatly appreciated. If it matters I will be transferring everything from my Focus to new said frame.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I started racing this year, and this bike will be used to race, train, and just have fun on.
I'd just buy a 105 or ultegra level bike to race. No need to drop $2K on a frame for racing.

You can spend about $2K and get a very serviceable bike to race on. Then you end up with a back up bike and an extra wheelset (which you need).

CAAD12 105 = $1700
CAAD12 Ultegra = $2250
Allez sprint frame = $1100

That is just new stuff. Ebay is full of great deals for slightly used bikes that I would rather crash than a $4-5K ride.

A good reliable bike (105, ultegra) is not going to hold back your racing development.

As for the bikes you listed, you have to ride them or make your own choice. I never rode my two favorite bikes before I bought them. It is difficult to buy a crappy bike anymore. But, it is not as difficult to buy not the best bike for you.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
What don't you like about your current bike? What kind of riding and racing? What kind of rider are you? "I started racing this year" is not very informative.

Franco's web site is terrible- it puts up a popup over the page that demands your email address and there's no way to dismiss it. I'd dismiss them just for that.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I'd just buy a 105 or ultegra level bike to race. No need to drop $2K on a frame for racing.

You can spend about $2K and get a very serviceable bike to race on. Then you end up with a back up bike and an extra wheelset (which you need).

As for the bikes you listed, you have to ride them or make your own choice. I never rode my two favorite bikes before I bought them. It is difficult to buy a crappy bike anymore. But, it is not as difficult to buy not the best bike for you.
I tend to agree with this. Don't buy anything without riding it first. It can be the greatest bike and receive the greatest ratings, but that does not guarantee that you will like it.

However, if I had to pick one you mentioned, I would choose the Giant. IMO, Cervelos are overrated. I know a few people who bought a Cervelo because of the bling factor, then bought a more mainstream bike they liked better! Don't know anything about the Franco. I did not have the problem with the website that Eric did, possibly because I have a good pop-up blocker. :p

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
They don't all have similar geometries. The Giant is the closest to a long and low race frame in terms of stack/reach across various sizes. The Cervelo is exceptionally short and high. I don't know why they started doing this on their 'race' frames because they turned them into middle aged gran fondo frames. For me at least it would require a 140mm -17 stem to even start getting close to my position. If you can make the geometry work, then I'd consider it but I'd put it below the giant.

If you can get a great deal on the Franco, I'd consider it but it would have to be at a substantial savings for me to consider it and would have to include some serious fitting sessions with them - that's the part of their business model that makes lots of sense to me. I'd also consider finding a frame heavily discounted somewhere (even planet x) with racing and the possibility of crashing/breaking it.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you just think you need a new frame, you may not really need one. This would be especially true if you can't quickly name a few things that are seriously wrong with the old frame. Now if you just want a new frame--that's a whole different thing and merits serious consideration of which one you'd love to have.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
You already have a frame pretty much the same level and purpose as what you're looking at. If there's nothing wrong with it but if you're just dying to get something new I'd suggest something different too. Like a CX bike so you can expand the possible ride types you can do.
Of course if you think you can improve on the fit and/or handling to fit your desires by all means get another middle of the road carbon frame. But if there's nothing in need of improvement with what you have already it seems like a waste and will boil down to getting a different paint job.
If there's any trails or gravel roads around you having a bike better suited to them is a blast so a bike to add those to your riding choices may be the way to go.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you just think you need a new frame, you may not really need one. This would be especially true if you can't quickly name a few things that are seriously wrong with the old frame. Now if you just want a new frame--that's a whole different thing and merits serious consideration of which one you'd love to have.
Haha ok you got me! It's certainly more of a want than a need. I don't really need anything, but I love new gear.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can get a great deal on the Franco, I'd consider it but it would have to be at a substantial savings for me to consider it and would have to include some serious fitting sessions with them - that's the part of their business model that makes lots of sense to me.
Well the deal is pretty substantial and a Retul fit is part of the process. Not to mention that they are close enough of a drive to personally take advantage of it. Their business model does make sense.

I have also thought of getting the Giant Advanced Pro 1 complete bike and then swapping my components to it. That way I'd have a nice frame (lighter and stiffer than mine), carbon wheels, and my Chorus. Plus lifetime warranty and crash replacement is a plus.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I tend to agree with this. Don't buy anything without riding it first. It can be the greatest bike and receive the greatest ratings, but that does not guarantee that you will like it.
I couldn't agree more with that. Test ride everything you can OP and make the final decision based on which bike is the best fit for you.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Well the deal is pretty substantial and a Retul fit is part of the process. Not to mention that they are close enough of a drive to personally take advantage of it. Their business model does make sense.
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Franco and do not need any advice. I like that Giant frame and think it is one of their best ones. I have never been a big fan of Cervelo but that is extremely subjective. They build nice bikes, I just did not find them to my likening when I looked at them. The Franco is a beauty but I have never heard of them or seen them before. If you can see one at their facility as stated than that would probably get my vote. Although, I love your old Focus Frame. Those are great bikes.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Franco and do not need any advice. I like that Giant frame and think it is one of their best ones. I have never been a big fan of Cervelo but that is extremely subjective. They build nice bikes, I just did not find them to my likening when I looked at them. The Franco is a beauty but I have never heard of them or seen them before. If you can see one at their facility as stated than that would probably get my vote. Although, I love your old Focus Frame. Those are great bikes.
I'm definitely on the fence about it. The Cervelo is sold at my LBS while the Giant is at another shop in town, while the Franco is out of town. The Franco would be the least expensive if I got just the frame, while the Giant would be the most and the Cervelo in the middle of the road (this is taking into account the sale of my Focus frame).

If I bought the complete Giant and swapped parts and sold my Focus as a complete bike (I'd keep the carbon wheels), it would be the least expensive, while the Franco with added Mavic carbon wheels, would be more expensive as I wouldn't have components to add to my Focus.

It is certainly a pickle for sure, as I like them all. I plan on riding all of them before any decision is made however.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
A bunch of guys at the shop I bought my Allez X2 from race the Giant and love it. They say it is super stiff and fun to ride. If you are racing crits, I would give the Allez X2 a serious look as well. I had a 2012 Cervelo R3 and it is a really nice bike, but I'm not sure it is the ideal race/crit machine. You can't go wrong with any of the bikes mentioned here, so I say test them and/or get the one you like best.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
It is certainly a pickle for sure, as I like them all. I plan on riding all of them before any decision is made however.
If you like all 3 of them the same than go with the least expensive option. If there is one that you are leaning towards but it is a price issue than figure out of you can afford that price. If so, than go for it as you may have buyers remorse if you do not. To me, I like the Franco because it is different. However, if you were to resell the bike down the road, it would be easier to sell a Cervelo or Giant as they have name recognition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts