Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of getting yelled at and having things thrown at me by passing cars. I am scared I am gonna getting maimed or killed on some of the back roads that I ride.

I don’t like reading here about how I'm a pusssy because I use a third chain ring, or I can't be a real rider cause I have a compact frame geometry, or if I'm still ridin' using my MTB shoes, and I don’t wear the lycra shorts than I’m a friggin’ moron.

Why can't I be accepted into the sport simply because I enjoy it. I am contributing the advancement of the sport by flowing dollars to the various manufacturers of cycling stuff? If new people are discouraged from entering into the sport because they are intimidated, then dollars are not infused back in, and technology and R&D efforts are scaled back to an absolute minimum.

I am simply frustrated to the point that I want to quit, sell my bikes, and join a gym.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can understand being upset at getting hassled by cars and trucks when you are on the road. It never ceases to piss me off royally.

However to threaten to quit riding (like who here really gives a damn wtf you do) because people on this forum may think you are a moron because of what/how you ride or what you wear is insane.

·
Registered
99 Posts
thegarzacomplex said:
I am tired of ...<pissing, moaning>
I am simply frustrated to the point that I want to quit, sell my bikes, and join a gym.
Dude. Get a grip.

You're giving up a sport you enjoy because some trolls on the internet don't think you're cool enough? They say your triple chainring and MTB means you aren't man enough for this sport. Maybe they're right this time, but it isn't because of your gear selection.

thegarzacomplex said:
Why can't I be accepted into the sport simply because I enjoy it.
You can. You just need to grow up, possess some tiny amount of self-confidence and everyone will leave you alone.

·
Rec Rider/Commuter
203 Posts
Sounds like cycling is not for you...

if those issues are enough to dissuade you from riding.

I'm with dawg on this one; sounds like the obvious solution would be to (a) quit visiting this forum, and (b) find better routes to ride.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
thegarzacomplex said:
I am tired of getting yelled at and having things thrown at me by passing cars. I am scared I am gonna getting maimed or killed on some of the back roads that I ride.

I don’t like reading here about how I'm a pusssy because I use a third chain ring, or I can't be a real rider cause I have a compact frame geometry, or if I'm still ridin' using my MTB shoes, and I don’t wear the lycra shorts than I’m a friggin’ moron.

Why can't I be accepted into the sport simply because I enjoy it. I am contributing the advancement of the sport by flowing dollars to the various manufacturers of cycling stuff? If new people are discouraged from entering into the sport because they are intimidated, then dollars are not infused back in, and technology and R&D efforts are scaled back to an absolute minimum.

I know how you feel. I guess I've already learned to just tune all the crap out so it doesn't bother me anymore. Don't quit, ride how ever you feel more comfortable and screw what people think. If anything just go to mountain biking. At least trees won't try to jump in your way or throw stuff at you (except for that one ocasion where a tree almost fell on me).

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Do you need an antidepressant or what?

Ok, either you don't really like cycling and are just looking to make yourself look like a victim so you can get out of the sport, or you are too thin skinned to realize that most of these things are normally said in jest. If you are here enough you HAVE to realize that there are several different categories of riders. Those that ride a little, those that ride a lot, and those that ride little that want to look like they ride a lot, and those that ride a lot and dont really care. Of which one you belong it doesn't really matter.

You either like riding or you don't. And hopefully the monthly fred thread that pops up, does not offend you. It is mostly humorous, but if you take it personally... you have your own demons. If you like riding, then ride. If you are worried about what a few people on the internet that have a 99.9% chance of never seeing you on the road are saying about your shoes or your shorts... then by all means, give up your hobby and all of your bikes </sarcasm>.

As for your back roads, as a person that has ridden most of his miles on rural roads (central and southwest missouri), I too know how it is to have things thrown. But, find a group to ride with, or find a less travelled road... or heck, just keep riding them and show these derilicts that their childish pranks will not stop cyclists. Once again, stop taking things so personal.

Ride for yourself, not others. Cycling for most is in the spirit of the bike, the road and the rider.

Give it some time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...I 'lost it' last night on my ride (almost got hit)...

I guess I need to focus on the fact that I really enjoy cycling. When I get a ride in without any run-ins with cars etc. there is truly nothing better-it’s almost spiritual. Maybe today will be better.

Sorry for the rant. After reading my post again it’s sounds like I really am a pusssy.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
This is a joke................right ?
Ps. You're not a real man unless you turn a 12-21
Pss. An 11-21 is even better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Or Go Rural Riding In PEI (Prince Edward Island)

Since we are on the topic of getting hassled by cars while on the road I must tell the group about a magical place for cycling. Prince Edward Island Canada. It's Canada's smallest province and largest farm. The whole island is one big farm with rolling terrain, and more than 1,000 miles of paved coastal roads in pretty good shape. And the nicest people you have ever met in your life.

There is a 400km (not sure of exact distance) inland dirt trail (Heritage Trail?) that follows the old railroad bed that tons of people do on any kind of bike that can handle gravel and packed dirt. It's mostly inland and misses what I think are the nicest parts of the island, but the benefit is that most of the bike trips and tours go there leaving the roads realtively empty.

We drove there last summer and went camping and I took my road bike with me and did about 6 rides in different areas. The locals make sure they pass you by moving over to the oncoming lane. Even when they dont really have to move at all they always pass with tons of room to spare, usually accompanied by a friendly wave. The only people who honk and pass you with 6 inches to spare and nothing in the oncoming lane are out of provincers.

And the beauty of the sea. Did a 90 km ride and 65 of em were on the ocean. Doesn't matter where you go really the whole place is nice. And always a good breeze and rolling, the people who say it's totally flat and boring have never ridden there much. Plus when I got back to any of the campsites we were staying at I just hopped into the sea that was about 15 feet from my tent. Oh ya lobster, oyster, mussel, scallop and other seafood paradise.

Just thought I would share.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Well, only if it is a 64t chainring.

MR_GRUMPY said:
This is a joke................right ?
Ps. You're not a real man unless you turn a 12-21
Pss. An 11-21 is even better.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
First of all, forget about the world. You will never be able to live up to the expectations of the faceless, nameless crowd, whether here in the ether or out on the road. There will always be jerks to judge you on something - your equipment, your clothes, your car, dog or haircut. I get it about my Camelbak in the summertime, I get it about my team jerseys, I get it because I'm a middle-aged guy riding $5000 bikes. It will never end because people are people, it's trite but it's true.

Secondly, I know it's a pain to get harassed by motorists. It happens to me and I don't like it either. For me though, the sheer positive effect I get is enough to blow away the negative crap that happens. I tune it out and I pick places to ride (like MUTs where there are no cars.) Maybe MUT riding is not pure enough for some (back to the judgement of the faceless/nameless) but if you don't like getting hassled, then trade that in for the problems associated with MUT riding. If you don't have a MUT, then figure out a way to deal with the environment. If you can't, then yes, it's time to join a gym.

However, it's probably not as dramatic as you may be feeling right now. Think about it, find a place to have a positive ride, ignore the idiots here on the web and decide for yourself if the benefits don't outweigh the liabilities.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
After that, head over to Cape Breton NS and ride the Cabot Trail! Hills, cliffs over the sea, great ride.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Outing Myself

Until I got my new bike, I had a triple, and expected that I would in the future. I then saw a deal on a nice bike, but it had a double. I did the math, and decided that, with a lower freewheel, I could get by the the double. Had I gone out and custom-spec'ed a bike, I would probably have a triple (but with a lower grade of components). No shame in the triple--it's all in what you like. Do I care if people smirk at my triple? No.

My shoes are Specialized Sonomas. Though they aren't exactly montain bike shoes (not gnarly enough of a tread), they aren't the classic image of road shoes. I like to be able to walk around off the bike. And, you know what, I have Mountain bike pedals. Do I care if the think carbon-sole folks mock me? Nope (in fact, one or two have asked about the shoes).

If you enjoy riding, don't worry about perceptions regarding your kit. Make sure it works for you. I'm a fast recreational rider--a triple crank and mountain bike shoes work great for that. If my riding needs changed, I would get a double (well, I got one, but, again, that was a deal), road pedals, and traditional road shoes. Or, I might get a rack and fenders.

The point is, don't let a**holes on the internet scare you off--they aren't worth it. Likewise, if it is the people you ride with...well, my mom would say, "maybe they aren't really your friends." Keep riding, look for your local club, and you find people who match your desires.

Getting yelled at is, unfortunately, part of the sport. I do my best to deal. I have been fortunate in that I haven't had too much actual violence against me, though I prepare for it as best I can. I know, however, I won't be chased off the road because of them--I don't want this ******* fools to win. I don't know what to tell you--if it really can't be mitigated gosh, I'm sorry. Again, look for your local club, and ride with them. There's safety in numbers (if only to provide alternate targets. :) ).

Finally, if you really want to get out of cycling, own that decision. "I tried road cycling, and it's not for me." Aside from the "a**holes in cars" part, you are blaming others (well, you are in the case of the car thing, but that's more of a true risk rather than self-image). You need to decide what's right for you, and embrace it. I'm actually going through a similar thing with one of my other hobbies. Decide if what you like about it is worth the true bad things (car risk in your case; opportunity cost and ability to learn in my own), and go with it.

However, posting in this forum will get a lot of "who cares." That just makes me think you want to blame someone for your problem.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
one more thing...

Just one more tidbit...

Every 'serious' cyclist, if they have been around for a bit will have the same story to tell. The specifics will change, but all should own up to some "FRED" showing up on a group ride or meeting one by chance on the roads and getting their freaking clocks cleaned at least once.

So... if you are a Fred, be proud. Fred or not, you are still a cyclist and the LBS loves you all the same.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Keep using toe clips and see how you feel.

Jeez, by that standard I should have quit 30 years ago. I did 4000 miles on the road last year, every last one of them in mountain bike shorts, toe clips and $40 mountain shoes without cleats. Most of the time I was in a T-shirt, not a jersey that makes me look like a NASCAR Pontiac.
One person yelled at me--first time in about 10 years--but nobody's ever thrown anything at me, not in three decades of riding. I'm not even sure I believe people who say they get things thrown at them all the time. I mean, why would they lie? But if they're not lying, why hasn't it ever happened to me?
My bike came with a triple chain ring with a 30-tooth granny, and I swapped it out for a 24. The cassette was an 11-24; I changed to a 13-30. WTF do I care what other people think? Especially other road cyclists--there are certainly exceptions, and I'm sure everybody on this board is one of them, but in general roadies tend to be the biggest jerks in sports except for downhill skiers. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and ride the bike.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
thegarzacomplex said:
I guess I need to focus on the fact that I really enjoy cycling. When I get a ride in without any run-ins with cars etc. there is truly nothing better-it’s almost spiritual. Maybe today will be better.

Sorry for the rant. After reading my post again it’s sounds like I really am a pusssy.
You're not a wuss for being afraid of cars. They are heavy and in general are driven by inattentive morons. Do you live near good trails? If so, try mountain biking. No cars. Triples and mtb shoes are accepted. If I was surrounded by good mtb trails I wouldn't bother with the road bike much anymore. Unfortunately for now I'm stuck on the pavement.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
My advice is.....

You cannot absolutely protect yourself from the verbal abuse of the unenlightened. You can pick your routes. Find routes with low traffic and wide lanes or shoulders that lessen the instances of negative reactions from auto trolls. Perhaps bike (MUT) trails are an option for you. I do much of my weekday riding (commuting) on paved MUTs.

As for criticism from bike forums: I would give up participation in bike forums before I quit riding my bike. Of course, being a civil servent, I am pretty thick skinned.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No Worries...

<I>Sorry for the rant. After reading my post again it’s sounds like I really am a pusssy.</i>

It happens. As I mentioned in my post, I'm currently re-evaluating one of my hobbies (Irish dance), due to some changes in how my group is structured. If you aren't having fun with what you're doing, it's just going to make the time worse, spill over into other parts of your life, etc.

<i>Thanks...I 'lost it' last night on my ride (almost got hit)... </i>

*sniff* I wish I could have ridden last night. Dark too early, and too cold.

That's actually some of my issue: tomorrow is going to be the first "nicely-above-freezing" (>37 (it is targeted at 45)), but I have a performance right in the middle of the afternoon. Sunday (nothing planned), we'll be back down at 28! When will winter end?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts