Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm not talking baby cows.

I just finished the longest ride I've done in close to a year. 83 miles. 20 on a MUT going to and from the meeting place, and 63 with a BB group, who averaged about 18.5 mph with over 4600 ft of climbing.

I didn't hydrate enough. I only went through about 3-4 bottles of water, one 20oz coke and a couple of clif bars. About 1/2 mile from the end, I got my first real leg cramp, even though I could feel them coming on about 20 miles before that, so I was doing a lot of soft pedaling.

Now that I'm at home, and recouperating, I was laying on the couch watching today's TdF stage, and my calf muscles looked like my wife's stomach a month before she gave birth to our triplets. A bunch of different muscles were involuntarily, slowly firing. It's quite a show. If I bend any of my leg or foot joints too much, the muscles will almost instantly (withn 1-2 seconds) start to twist up and cramp.

I've been sucking down water, had a banana and am now eating come salty tortilla chips, trying to hydrate myself. Luckily, I never got too bad of a headache. I popped 3 advil when I got home.

For days like this, when I screw up and don't hydrate enough, what's the best way to recover as quickly as possible?

· Registered
783 Posts
On real hot days (not Many in Seattle area) when I'm in Eastern or central Washngton and any ride 2.5 hours or more I use Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes they really help from preventing me from cramping both in the legs and stomach. BTW congrats on the long ride.

Ray Still

· Registered
304 Posts
JohnnyTooBad,

Go to WalGreen or GNC and get a bottle of Potassium Tablets. They will stop the cramping; take with Gatorade to help push more electrolytes to the system.

Lastly, those muscles need to be fed because they are experiencing micro tears so drink a good 16 oz. 28 gram or greater protein shack. (I mix my own American Whey brand with ice and non-fat peanut butter - 1 Tablespoon)

Take 3 Ibuprofen which will equal prescription strength dose.

Your muscles experienced lots of heat during the exercise; take a nice 1 mile slow walk to help stretch.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
One thing extra: Knock yer head so you remember to hydrate enough man! Jeez!!!!

Gatorade, sports drinks, all these will help.

But the damage is done so you'll still feel the effects for awhile actually. Good luck. Moreon :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.