Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

We have a teacher from the boys' school watching them for the summer. Once a month we also have a cleaning service come in. When the cleaning service is there, the teacher takes the boys upstairs to give them unfettered access to the dirty and dusty corners.

When we came home yesterday, our 'nanny' said that she was sure that she heard the cleaning people in our laundry room (where we have another fridge) open the fridge, and pop open a can of soda. The soda in question was left over from a party last fall. We simply don't drink the stuff.

So here is the dilemma: we have made it clear that our nanny make herself at home while she's there. There's no reason why she would have to justify taking the last of a can of soda that we wouldn't drink anyway.

I wanted to call our service and complain but with no real proof of anything, I'm stuck. Obviously, I don't give a flying **** about a can of soda going missing but it appears that a line has been crossed here and I simply can't assume that nothing else will go missing if an opportunity doesn't present itself again.

PS - I'm trying to type this fast and am sure I'm not conveying my concerns adequately.

PPS - No, a former child star is NOT cleaning my house. :p

Thoughts on how to proceed are welcome at this juncture.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
call the service. "It appears your employees may be taking liberties....if this is going to be a problem, I'll need to do business with someone else" and let them handle it from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
How about buying some six-packs of assorted soda's and bottled water, put them in that fridge and tell them it"s OK to help themselves. You get the message across that you're aware of them going into the fridge and also give them some refreshments to drink while they're cleaning, which maybe is all they want anyway. If it progresses to anything else, buy a cheap NannyCam and take some video's, THEN call the cleaning service. My experiences with these folks is they are working for low pay, are glad to be working and generally are not stupid enough to jeopardize their own tenuous situation.

As side note, we had local owner of a landscaping business that was arrested recently. Seemed he had a side business of robbing some of the houses they did landscaping at. Now you would think that someone running his own business (he had recently inherited the business from his father, so maybe he didn't inherit his fathers smarts) would understand that the cops are not stupid and are going to make the connection.

SB
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Elitest!
 

·
No hero that's understood
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
I think I would start by asking them not to do that any more. Perhaps at some of their other clients homes, this is an accepted practice. Calling the service rather than providing them the opportunity to change their own behavior seems a little harsh.

Explain that there will be no strike two. Then call if the problem persists.
 

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the interest in not participating in a flame war, I should state again for any of you moreons who didn't manage to read my OP (RagbraiNewB, I'm looking in your direction) I don't give a **** that it was a soda.

I have to admit that I like SteveB's advice of buying extra cases so they can keep their fat asses well-sugarfied for the tasks ahead and to let them know I'm onto them.

View attachment 206820

The whole reason for my paranoia is that where is the line drawn? Is this something I bring up to the owner? If so, how?

Goddamn ******** are messing with my head.
 

·
Grey Manrod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
Antonio_B said:
Goddamn ******** are messing with my head.
No, you're just a closeted xenophobe. :D

Option 1: do nothing, but ask the nanny to let you know if there are any other concerns.

Option 2: if you're really that rattled, just find a new cleaning service. Don't file a complaint or confront them - you have no proof, and people don't need to lose their jobs based on allegations.

Option 3: Place hidden cameras around the house to capture hawt nanny-on-maid action.

Jeesh, must be tough living in the ivory tower, white boy. :D
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,094 Posts
If someone will take the chance to steal a soda, they are probably going to steal anything they want if feel they can get away with it.

Get a new cleaning person.
 

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brick Tamland said:
No, you're just a closeted xenophobe. :D

Option 1: do nothing, but ask the nanny to let you know if there are any other concerns.

Option 2: if you're really that rattled, just find a new cleaning service. Don't file a complaint or confront them - you have no proof, and people don't need to lose their jobs based on allegations.

Option 3: Place hidden cameras around the house to capture hawt nanny-on-maid action.
Works for me. Well...all except #3. :nonod: Seeing either party in a compromising position would ruin my dinner plans.

As for my ivory tower, perhaps I'll start cleaning that myself. :ihih:
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,192 Posts
Get a bottled soda, dump it out and replace it with antifreeze. That'll show them!

By the way, it'll kill them too.
 

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigrider said:
If someone will take the chance to steal a soda, they are probably going to steal anything they want if feel they can get away with it.
^^^^^^ herein lies the crux of the biscuit.
 

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
azpeterb said:
Get a bottled soda, dump it out and replace it with antifreeze. That'll show them!

By the way, it'll kill them too.
Is this how you offed the bunny on your morning commute?
 

·
done
Joined
·
3,293 Posts
azpeterb said:
Get a bottled soda, dump it out and replace it with antifreeze. That'll show them!

By the way, it'll kill them too.
The maid would likely be able to taste the AF and stop drinking, then sue. My suggestion is to boobytrap a can of soda w/ a claymore.
 

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
Joined
·
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love Commander said:
The maid would likely be able to taste the AF and stop drinking, then sue. My suggestion is to boobytrap a can of soda w/ a claymore.
I see blast-zone containment as being a major issue here. Not to mention, that the other cleaner would have to take time from her other cleaning duties to clean up what remained of her co-worker.
 

·
25.806975801127
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
Inject each soda, via a tiny hypo, with experimental drugs from work. Hilarity will ensue.

I agree with the basic premise... it's only a f##king soda, but soda is a gateway drug.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts
Antonio_B said:
Background:

We have a teacher from the boys' school watching them for the summer. Once a month we also have a cleaning service come in. When the cleaning service is there, the teacher takes the boys upstairs to give them unfettered access to the dirty and dusty corners.

When we came home yesterday, our 'nanny' said that she was sure that she heard the cleaning people in our laundry room (where we have another fridge) open the fridge, and pop open a can of soda. The soda in question was left over from a party last fall. We simply don't drink the stuff.

So here is the dilemma: we have made it clear that our nanny make herself at home while she's there. There's no reason why she would have to justify taking the last of a can of soda that we wouldn't drink anyway.

I wanted to call our service and complain but with no real proof of anything, I'm stuck. Obviously, I don't give a flying **** about a can of soda going missing but it appears that a line has been crossed here and I simply can't assume that nothing else will go missing if an opportunity doesn't present itself again.

PS - I'm trying to type this fast and am sure I'm not conveying my concerns adequately.

PPS - No, a former child star is NOT cleaning my house. :p

Thoughts on how to proceed are welcome at this juncture.
Did you notice the can missing or did the nanny just volunteer that info?

It seems strange to me that the nanny would even bring it up...
 

·
done
Joined
·
3,293 Posts
Antonio_B said:
I see blast-zone containment as being a major issue here. Not to mention, that the other cleaner would have to take time from her other cleaning duties to clean up what remained of her co-worker.
True, but the deep mental scars would serve as a deterrent for soda thievery in the future. I think the expense of reconstruction would be worth it down the road.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top