Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched from my STI set-up to Barcons. My FD is always creeping back to the inside, or towards the inner ring. It shifts great. But after a minute or so I can hear the inner right piece of the cage rubbing the chain. It does this on all 3 rings. I've fiddled with the limit screws and am at a point where I need advice. I have to constatly readjust the lever to push the cage outside away from the chain. I have an Ultegra triple set-up with Dura Ace bar-end shifters on my aero bars. Is this common? Is it a limit screw problem?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
cydswipe said:
I just switched from my STI set-up to Barcons. My FD is always creeping back to the inside, or towards the inner ring. It shifts great. But after a minute or so I can hear the inner right piece of the cage rubbing the chain. It does this on all 3 rings. I've fiddled with the limit screws and am at a point where I need advice. I have to constatly readjust the lever to push the cage outside away from the chain. I have an Ultegra triple set-up with Dura Ace bar-end shifters on my aero bars. Is this common? Is it a limit screw problem?
There was a recent post about using loc-tite on some screw on barcons. I think they were having the same problem. Try a search. - TF

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that was me.

That was me. So, the problem is tension to the FD?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
cydswipe said:
That was me. So, the problem is tension to the FD?
I knew I had seen it someplace. :)

It sounds to me like the barcon is slipping and letting the cable loosen. I don't use barcons to know how this could happen. Or maybe the outer limit screw is just a little too tight and putting too much tension on the cable??? - TF

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cables?

I'm not really familiar with the barcons - I only have brifters - but is there any chance your cables are getting hung up in the housing?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm.

golzy said:
I'm not really familiar with the barcons - I only have brifters - but is there any chance your cables are getting hung up in the housing?
I'm gonna look at it here in an hour or so. The cables and housing are new. The barcans allen into the ends of my aero-bars. I'm not sure how they could "slip". I'll follow your leads and see what happens next.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Try

tightening the screw that hold the friction lever. I Like turbos Idea of lock-tight.
i would use BLUE. The force of the spring on the frt derailluer is causing the friction lever to move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts