Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have live in the flats of FL. A few rolling "humps" that we call hills. and a couple of bridges to train on.

I currently have a older set of Zipp 440's and a set of Bontrager race lites. Both sets are almost equal in weight. I do race in triathlons too, sprint, and Olympic distances on a Orbea Opal.

I would like to have just 1 set of wheels for raceing and everyday training. I'm going to get away from tubies.

What would you ride?

Neuvation....China carbon specials.....Mavic....ROL....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a set of Neuvation Carbon clinchers with over 8000 miles on them and they've been perfect for everyday training. The downside is that the hubs are not that great.

I'd recommend getting some built from Psimet. He uses the same rims as Neuvation (Gigantex) which are awesome rims for the price but he can build them up with some nicer hubs like White Industries or DT Swiss, etc for a good price

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I would look at Reynolds Assaults or Attacks. The Assaults are 46mm in profile and would be good for everyday use. They're light enough and have good aero for triathlons. If you are light weight then look at the 32mm Attacks.

I have Zipps(808's and discs) but won't buy any more unless they are a steal. Zipps are over priced.

If you can spend a little more then upgrade to the DV46 or MC32s. Unless you can get a deal then you are also in the same ball park as the Edge(now Enve). FWIW, I just bought some new MV32 ULs for $1k or 40% of retail. Deals can be found.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
Going custom would be a much smarter idea if you really want an every day wheel. You could get a wheel that is durable, stiff, and versatile while still being in the sub 1400 gram range.
And with custom, he could get a set tailored to his weight (which he plainly omitted) instead of buying a "one size fits all" set of wheels. Just who DO they fit anyway? 130 - 230 - 330lbs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zen Cyclery said:
Good point Mike. What is your weight/riding preferences OP?
I'm 175lbs. I ride on flat roads %90 of the time. Live on the beach, so cross winds are definitely present. I also race in more Tri's than any road races. Max distance is half IM for a road bike.

Does that help at all? :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
I second the Reynolds Assault option. Watch Bonktown.com. If they have the DV46CKT wheel again, it's an Assault without the Assault sticker. It has the KT hubs, DT Swiss spokes and the original DV46 rim, so it's really an Assault, not a DV46. I got mine for about 2/3 of the retail price of the Assaults and Bonktown is an authorized dealer.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
PsychoScott said:
Does that help at all? :(
Sure it does. Look at the set of wheels I tested for Zen Cyclery. They'd be perfect for you. They're custom and they have two rims lighter than the XR300 that I used but the 300's make for a good "one set" wheelset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts