Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm still stuck in the 1980's when it comes to motorcycles ;)

View attachment 480631
The 80's had some great bikes, took my road test on a friend's 80-something 750 Interceptor and then bought '83 and '84 V65 Magnas when I got of the service...Rode the '84 hard until the late 90's without a hiccup.

I just got a KTM 790R, it's a blast.
I've had so many KTM's/Husaberg's it's not even funny, great bikes.
Enjoy and be safe.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,127 Posts
I just got a KTM 790R, it's a blast.
Is that what's called an adventure bike? What's the appeal? I mean, would this be in the same class as Harley's Pan American (I think the Pan American looks "unadventurous", if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Is that what's called an adventure bike? What's the appeal? I mean, would this be in the same class as Harley's Pan American (I think the Pan American looks "unadventurous", if you know what I mean).
Adventure bikes are go anywhere for the most part in comfort, and are designed for environments that are harsh.. think sand, water, mud, snow, dust. Regular touring or sport bikes would choke and grind their parts to death.

That said, I would not trust a Harley.. for anything, I think they are garbage, but we'll see how well the Pan American handles and long term viability. Then again, based on the average Harley customer, I doubt the Pan American will see anything other than tarmac, and maybe a dirt driveway... Just like most pickups never see dirt, never haul anything, overpriced grocery getters.

·
5,127 Posts
ps.. Go Triumph.. or even Indian... anything but Harley...
I'm partial to Honda (ya' know, she's my first and all). I do like the looks of the new Harley Sportster (what's up with the high exhaust pipe though?) but the Honda Rebel 1100 is a much better value in a modern cruiser.

I do like the Indian Scout but my wallet says get a used Honda VTX 1800.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,787 Posts
Hey Grouch. Are those yours? Nice. I hear good things 'bout the Magna 750.
Yes. I purchased the 1984 700 Nighthawk S last year. It needs a bit of a refresh and the petcock rebuilt. The 1988 750 Magna has been with me since 2005. It's a great little cruiser with lots of peep. It still amazes me how it starts right up and runs well, despite how little I use it.

·
5,127 Posts
I'm still new to the motorcycle culture in the 80's was the Magna classified as a cruiser? With today's nomenclature wouldn't that Magna be classified as a nekid bike? I don't see that as a cross country motorcycle but there's no real place to put saddle bags, for example. Still, I bet it'll still run rings around most Harley's and modern bikes!

I still want a 1997 Honda Valkyrie!

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,787 Posts
The Yamaha GTS1000 is still on my bucket list. So ahead of its time when it arrvied in 1993. It touted fuel injection, ABS and fork-less suspension.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I like some older bikes, but I do prefer the more modern ones. When it comes to cars.. I hate all the nannies, when it comes to motorbikes.. I want them all.. Traction control, ABS, Corner ABS, you name it.. I want it... Sadly, most of the base, or even middle tier models tend to not include Corner ABS, or in some cases ABS at all, so if you want those features, you tend to have the buy the model that will most likely kill you..
Which for me.. if I can ever convince my wife.. is this. Ducati Streetfigher V4

or this Triumph Speed tripple RS (because the non RS lacks the safety features I want)

·
5,127 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,268 Posts
Hey Grouch. This is local to me. What do you think?

I was curious, and it seems only 8 turbo motorcycle models were ever made. Probably a reason for that.

See if you can find "known issues" with it, so you know what to look for. There was a timing related recall (did a quick websearch) for example.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,787 Posts
Hey Grouch. This is local to me. What do you think?

The asking price seems to be within what other CX500Ts have sold for on Bring a Trailer. Albeit, given how rare and short a production run it was, replacement parts might be a challenge. Definately a weekend cruiser and still appreciating in value. If you got the scrilla, go for it!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
5,127 Posts
Hey Retro,
I'm kinda happy with the cruiser style riding. Lay-Z-Boy style with hands in the air and feet out front. All those "fast" motorcycles look like you're riding in a fetal position. Besides, if I ever got one of those "fast" motorcycles I might be tempted give it some gas.

I'm getting older and the heft of a crusier might be troublesome. I hear good things about Suzuki Versy[?]. They're light, good for long miles and comfortable (so I heard).

·
5,127 Posts
What other types of motorcycles that are light and good for long distance? I may have to drop down to a 750cc I guess.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I dunno about good for long distances.. but I have another one to add to my list of potentials.. not a 750 though, Indian 1200 FTR
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

181 - 200 of 205 Posts