Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
141 - 160 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Hey JaeP:

Was out touring in the Muskokas (cottage country Ontario Canada) this last weekend. Stopped for lunch and saw this baby:

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Land vehicle

Talked to the owner who told me it's a 2011 and he loves it. It has given him zero problems and is a pleasure to ride.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Hey JaeP:

Was out touring in the Muskokas (cottage country Ontario Canada) this last weekend. Stopped for lunch and saw this baby:

View attachment 320611
Talked to the owner who told me it's a 2011 and he loves it. It has given him zero problems and is a pleasure to ride.
Well, I did it. After failing my first MSF class I retook the class and passed. Got my M1 endorsement in Oct. 2017 and on Jan 2018, as a late birthday present to myself, I bought my BIL's 1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2. For the past 9mos I barely touched my bicycles (all 12 of them).

Like a Bruce Springsteen song "She ain't a beauty but she's alright". From 10' away she looks fantastic but when you get closer she starts to look her age. Either way she's fun to drive. I should've gotten my M1 endorsement a long time ago!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Yay! She is a beauty. I love the classic look of them. Nice touch with the whitewall tires.

There is something my motorcycle instructor told me that I use on the road: "Keep something in reserve", meaning don't ride to the max of what you think is your potential, especially around corners. It's easier to avoid accidents that way and it's too late once a situation happens that you can't control.

Safe riding!

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
When you ride a nice 'road' bike and make the conversion to moto, if you select a 'hog' it is going to ride like a 'pig'. Get a moto that handles and it will be a more easier conversion. Don't get one that feels like your sitting on your living room couch.

·
5,155 Posts
Yay! She is a beauty. I love the classic look of them. Nice touch with the whitewall tires.

There is something my motorcycle instructor told me that I use on the road: "Keep something in reserve", meaning don't ride to the max of what you think is your potential, especially around corners. It's easier to avoid accidents that way and it's too late once a situation happens that you can't control.

Safe riding!
Chrome and whitewalls are a bane with this motorcycle. My thinking is, if I keep on polishing the chrome the sparkle will blind you from the rusted and corroded parts and whitewall tires don't stay white for very long. Weekly cleaning is a must.

I really wanted to get something modern but like a stray puppy I now want to keep her.

The one thing I got rid of was the stock seat. Recently I went on my first long distance ride to nowhere-and-back and my @ss (more specifically my coccyx) was in pain after about 20 miles. Great, I've got another 380 miles to go. When I got back I started looking for replacement seats. Man, are they expensive. Long story short, for the price of an aftermarket set I had a local upholsterer custom make me a new seat.

Can't wait to hit the open rode again.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Well, I did it. After failing my first MSF class I retook the class and passed. Got my M1 endorsement in Oct. 2017 and on Jan 2018, as a late birthday present to myself, I bought my BIL's 1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2. For the past 9mos I barely touched my bicycles (all 12 of them).

Like a Bruce Springsteen song "She ain't a beauty but she's alright". From 10' away she looks fantastic but when you get closer she starts to look her age. Either way she's fun to drive. I should've gotten my M1 endorsement a long time ago!
So this is what the dark side looks like...

Congrats--we only go around once and we should have some fun on the way. Be safe though (although as a long time cyclist, you already have a leg up on someone who just got started on two wheels...)>

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Chrome and whitewalls are a bane with this motorcycle. My thinking is, if I keep on polishing the chrome the sparkle will blind you from the rusted and corroded parts and whitewall tires don't stay white for very long. Weekly cleaning is a must.

I really wanted to get something modern but like a stray puppy I now want to keep her.

The one thing I got rid of was the stock seat. Recently I went on my first long distance ride to nowhere-and-back and my @ss (more specifically my coccyx) was in pain after about 20 miles. Great, I've got another 380 miles to go. When I got back I started looking for replacement seats. Man, are they expensive. Long story short, for the price of an aftermarket set I had a local upholsterer custom make me a new seat.

Can't wait to hit the open rode again.
Replacement seats are expensive, but I feel your pain and the price of them is well worth it. I bought a Corbin for my Vulcan S and LOVE it. I can't believe the difference in comfort. Mustang makes one for your bike as well.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Like 4himies said at slow speeds the Shadow has a tendency to snap into a turn, of course instinctually, I would compensate and thus my turns were going wide. Felt very different than the Yamaha 250 I used at MSF. My 21 yr old nephew, who is 6'1" and weighs all of 160lbs soaking wet, was able to demonstrate that the Shadow could weave through the parking lot islands, do a U-turn and figure 8. So I know it can be done. Can't practice on the Shadow until the floor board/foot peg is fixed. I hit the curb in such a way that the floor board is (permanently?) bent upwards preventing the use of the rear brake lever.

I understand that Honda has a good reputation for reliability and that with regular maintenance I should (if I buy) have many more trouble free miles. Is this correct?
My hubby could turn his Shadow and now his Vulcan 900 on a dime, I couldn't and so that is why I bought a lighter and more maneuverable bike.

·
5,155 Posts
Replacement seats are expensive, but I feel your pain and the price of them is well worth it. I bought a Corbin for my Vulcan S and LOVE it. I can't believe the difference in comfort. Mustang makes one for your bike as well.
When I started cycling Selle Italia Turbos were kinda the standard for cycling seats. I never got used to them. Then I found a $5 San Marco Regal at a veloswap and now it's the only saddle I use (they are also pricey).

My BIL's touring BMW has a Corbin seat and he swears by it. Can your ride comfortably for long distances with your Corbin without any discomfort? My new seat feels better than stock but after some miles I feel the need to "re-position" my butt cheeks from time to time (no more pain in my coccyx). I don't know if this is because of being stuck in one riding position or not.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
When I started cycling Selle Italia Turbos were kinda the standard for cycling seats. I never got used to them. Then I found a $5 San Marco Regal at a veloswap and now it's the only saddle I use (they are also pricey).

My BIL's touring BMW has a Corbin seat and he swears by it. Can your ride comfortably for long distances with your Corbin without any discomfort? My new seat feels better than stock but after some miles I feel the need to "re-position" my butt cheeks from time to time (no more pain in my coccyx). I don't know if this is because of being stuck in one riding position or not.
Motorcycling requires frequent stops to stretch the legs. The stock seat on my Vulcan S was horrible and am now able to ride for longer periods without pain. Some riders get "Highway pegs" on their crash bars to enable them to stretch out their legs while riding on the highway. Hubby or I are not tall enough to require those.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I had never ridden a motorcycle until recently. I'm 43. My wife bought a 150 cc Bajaj a few months ago. It looks like a crotch rocket but the position is more upright. She still can't ride it. I got the hang of it but I do not like it. After riding bicycles for so long, motorcycles feel heavy & dead. And it's too much multitasking with all the controls plus looking out for idiot drivers. Not for me.
scooters always make more sense other than they usually have too small gas tanks for road tripping.

Been riding moto off and on for 30 years now. 2 years ago I was riding a 600CBR and picked up a 250 Piaggio. The scooter just made sense and got used, and the CBR just sat. So much less noise and vibration, upright seating, no gears, more efficient, a real fairing etc. Though I'd scrape the centre stand while cornering in the many twisty roads here

·
Registered
942 Posts
scooters always make more sense other than they usually have too small gas tanks for road tripping.
There was a day when a scooter was a Vespa, and they all were about the same. That's not so true anymore. Some scooters have much bigger wheels and bigger engines, so they are basically automatic transmission motorcycles. For instance, the Burgman 650

I've never been a fan, as they appear to be mostly geared for zipping around a city with lots of stop and go, at low speeds.

I own street legal dirt and adventure motorcycles that can handle unpaved mountain roads, which is where I mostly ride - i.e. in the middle of nowhere, where there's also usually almost no cars. I have a DRZ-400S and V-Strom DL-650.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hopefully you guys register them and have visible plates.. a lot of tools in my area with street legal dirt bikes, but never registered them and have no plates and have a tendency to do stupid **** (DC MD VA area). Not saying all, but a good number of them.

Sadly, we don't have too many places to take bikes offroad, I think Shenandoah Nat Park is the closest if memory serves me. Use to ave Greenridge too, but they killed that off during a gov shutdown and never came back.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Sadly.. my wife is firmly in the "I will divorce you" category if I come home with a bike.. which is really stupid.. because the roads I use to commute to work (if it was not a 45 mile commute I would cycle it) in a car are also the same ones I would use with the motorcycle. And lets be fair, you are probably safer on a MC then on a bicycle (well assuming you don't ride like a tool.. lane splitting is not legal yet.. although there are no laws in DC for or against it.. grey area, but they are trying to make it legal)

Simple fact for me, same roads.. MC would probably be safer.. even tried the getting a bike with all the safety features (one of the reasons I picked the Triumph Street or Speed Triples, and the Aprilia Tuono, both have all the std ABS, Traction control, ride modes etc, but also have cornering ABS, not to many have that currently), and airbag clothing.. even upped my insurance through my company (can do # of years * salary, I I work in IT security as a consultant, for 11 years.... I'm worth more dead than alive :) )...

And she still threatened divorce lol

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Decisions, Decisions.
I have a kawa KLX 350 for my dirt work and a BMW Xcountry set up as a super moto for more pavement. But I live way out in AZ.
Like I said, Decisions, Decisions.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hopefully you guys register them and have visible plates.. a lot of tools in my area with street legal dirt bikes, but never registered them and have no plates and have a tendency to do stupid **** (DC MD VA area). Not saying all, but a good number of them.

Sadly, we don't have too many places to take bikes offroad, I think Shenandoah Nat Park is the closest if memory serves me. Use to ave Greenridge too, but they killed that off during a gov shutdown and never came back.
Both my rides are plated, inspected, insured. That's the point, so you can legally ride them to where you want to play. Around me, I need to go 10-30 miles to find the mountains, so usually plan all back road routes.
I don't ride in places designated off road vehicles only. I ride on public roads, many of which are closed in winter. And in nice weather are barely passable by 4WD Jeeps. Many are old logging roads that are barely maintained, in the middle of nowhere. These are pretty common anywhere there is steep rugged terrain.
For me that means Vermont, Western MA, and NY east and north of Albany.

·
5,155 Posts
I would encourage you to get a "beater" bike to master things first before getting your dream bike. As it's been mentioned several times; "There are 2 types of riders, those who've been down and those who are going down".
Ocuh! I'm glad I got bought my BIL 97 Shadow. Today I went down for the first time. Long story short, I went in too hot into a curve. Countersteered hard. Heard and felt my floorboards scrapping the pavement and panicked. I was drifting over the double yellow line. Instead of riding through the countersteering I grabbed both brakes and crashed into the side of a mountain.

I'm glad the only smart thing I do while riding a motorcycle is wear all the gear. Not a scratch on me person (just some charlie horses on my thigh and shoulder. Will probably feel worst tomorrow morning), two new dents on the gas tank and my throttle side handlebar is bent upwards abit.

141 - 160 of 205 Posts