Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that JaeP, it must have been terrifying. As long as you are OK, that's all that matters, the bike can be fixed. I crossed the centre line once when I first started, thank goodness there wasn't any vehicles coming, and now I take the corners easy. As my instructor taught me: leave something in reserve while riding.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ocuh! I'm glad I got bought my BIL 97 Shadow. Today I went down for the first time. Long story short, I went in too hot into a curve. Countersteered hard. Heard and felt my floorboards scrapping the pavement and panicked. I was drifting over the double yellow line. Instead of riding through the countersteering I grabbed both brakes and crashed into the side of a mountain.

I'm glad the only smart thing I do while riding a motorcycle is wear all the gear. Not a scratch on me person (just some charlie horses on my thigh and shoulder. Will probably feel worst tomorrow morning), two new dents on the gas tank and my throttle side handlebar is bent upwards a bit.
The value of wearing that equipment can't be overstated. (As you now if not before well know!) Glad you are generally OK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Motorbikes

Hi man

the bike you are considering is a monster in wheels - a sure shortcut to the grave for a beginner like you.

Start learning walking before running. In my days, the path to double the cc.
Begin with a 125cc to learn all the tricks of the trade then get a 250cc to master the more power bit then a 500cc and lastly a 750/1000cc.

Might sound old school, but in my eyes the safest.

So I can't afford a new sports car, and all my friends who ride motorcycles have been crippled... BUT

One of them bought a Kawasaki ZX14R and it's just so much better and faster than anything I've ever seen, it seems like a better buy than a sports car.

Only problem is I really don't know how to ride a motorcycle, so I'd have to take the classes, buy all the accoutrements like leathers, helmet, etc, and of course I'd have to work my way up to the beast that is the Ninja (friends are suggesting a used 600).

Any advice on doing this, or should I just ride my bicycle faster?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have wanted to buy an Royal Enfield for a while but I would not have time to ride it too may other things to do. Had a think about it and have a work car don't ride my bikes enough afternoons are pretty much full so no point still want one though

·
Eye of the Bobke
297 Posts
If you’ve got good scan and read of traffic, the situational awareness doesn’t differ much from road bike riding. There’s less speed disparity in traffic on a motorcycle (if you choose so) but you’re still non-existent to many drivers. Many scan for car-width conflicts, and you don’t register.

I’m used to being invisible on two wheels and not shocked when cars pull in my path. I feel like there are more options on a motorcycle just because I can pick my place on the road and be there with a slight throttle twist. I can also use other cars as blockers at intersections and position myself to be seen better compared to the speed and lane position limitations I have on a road bike.

For those who are not set on a cruiser, the 300/400 class of parallel twins (usually, but not always in sport bike clothes) are ideal for city commuting and spirited riding on the open road. Docile around town if your right hand wants, no overheating, and banshees past 9K rpm.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that you will probably become a better cyclist by learning two-wheel physics in the higher performance envelope of the motorcycle. Catching a side wind at high speed on a sport bike is often more eye-opening than the same crosswind on a 15-pound bicycle.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
thread Dredge Time

So, I've been riding for almost 3 yrs. I have racked up more than 37k on my Honda Shadow ACE 1100. I love my Shadow. It's everything I ever wanted in a motorcycle. Now that I have a little FU money i've been thinking of n+1 and I really want an early model (1997-2001) Honda Valkyrie. She's a brutal beauty but she has 6 carbs!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I am thinking of a new Yami T700, to replace my bmw supermoto. U, on the other hand have lost your MIND!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a Ducati Supermotard, absolutely the most enjoyable motorcycle ever. Not great for the interstate but it rips on country roads. Hyper... Dang spell check.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I went up to the NRim at the GC with my Kawa. On the way in was a Ducati on the side of the road, 7 days later when I left, it was still there. I was thinking I could ditch my Kawa in the trees somewhere (which was on the back of my van) and take the Ducati home. Hehe. But there probably was something major wrong, I'll keep my kawa for the way out there places.

·
5,143 Posts
I am thinking of a new Yami T700, to replace my bmw supermoto. U, on the other hand have lost your MIND!
Yeah, well. I originally wanted a Honda Fury (still do). That's what got me interested in getting my M1 endorsement in the first place. It's a fun ride around motorcycle. With my "advanced" age people assume I ride a Harley. I wanted something a little different and the Valkyrie caught my eye.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I know this thread is mostly about road motorcycles but I recently relieved more youthful days by renting a KTM 300XCW and riding offroad for a day. So much fun! I grew up riding 2-stroke mx bikes and they're a blast. I've owned a couple of Ninja's as well but never had as much fun on the road.

·
5,143 Posts
I know this thread is mostly about road motorcycles but I recently relieved more youthful days by renting a KTM 300XCW and riding offroad for a day. So much fun! I grew up riding 2-stroke mx bikes and they're a blast. I've owned a couple of Ninja's as well but never had as much fun on the road.
Cool. Never had a desire for MX even though I do like Mtn Biking (sometimes). It looks hella fun.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I absolutely love supermoto's, I've had an Aprilia SXV450, 2 Husaberg 650's, 3 KTM supermoto's and in the process of converting another.
I've had cruisers and even a KTM 990 Super duke for awhile, all great, but none bring back that feeling of my brother and I riding our dirt bikes on roads on the way to trails and being chased by cops back in the 80's.
To be young again...
Those G450X Beemers always looked interesting, are they 5 or 6 speed?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'm still looking as well.. but I may have moved away from Triumph Speed or Street Triples to the Ducati Streetfighter V4

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't say moron, I want an ADV bike pretty bad, I just don't get one because of the statistics. I can just see people waiting for organ transplants rooting for me to get one.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Are you a pedal biker or a troll? So you are in a lot better situation riding a bicycle? HA!

·
5,143 Posts
Thread dredge. I rode my motorcycle up Palomar Mtn. Man, it's much easier on my motorcycle than on my bicycle.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

161 - 180 of 205 Posts