Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the market for a new road bike, i have an old steel clunker now.

i'm hoping to get out for around $1000

i would use the bike for sprint triathlons and training and whatever else

thinking of going titanium like from XACD but really don't know much about them or any other manufacturer.

i'm a clydesdale - 6'3" and 230, so i need something strong (increased tube diameters?)

any ideas?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Get a Raleigh. God I love saying that.

If you know your size, Ebay always has a good deal. Raleighs from full carbon DA to aluminum with tiagra are all steals.

The team frameset with EC90 fork went for like 400 bucks! Good thing they were selling a 56cm rather than a 54cm otherwise I would have won it.

You can get a nice Supercourse in 56 or 58 for ~1000 bucks new or used depending on your luck.

Or... you can do the LBS and other routes (and brands). But honestly, Raleigh is a good deal especially when you're on a budget.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Every clydesdale should look into Cannondales first. The CAAD5 is an excellent frame and a complete R500 costs about $1000. At that price, you will find none better.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you know for sure that cycling is your passion...take out a loan for about $5000 or more and get exactly what you want. that way you wont have to worry about upgradeitis or anything like that.

im not kidding. i wish I would have done it.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
wilberforce said:
i'm hoping to get out for around $1000...i would use the bike for sprint triathlons and training and whatever else...thinking of going titanium
That's a big order, but bring $1,000 cash to your local store and see what happens

·
Registered
832 Posts
Beware of "internet" bikes with dreamy prices. You may get a really nice bike with a MRSP of $2995 for $999 - but you get no support with it. This may be a good option if you are a qualified bicycle-mechanic with proper tools. If not - you've got a headache to haul to your LBS. I'd charge at least $200 to build a boxed-bike up from the frame correctly. This means cleaning & greasing & adjusting all bearings, truing wheels and checking for proper building/tensioning. Cables installed just right, brakes adjusted...so forth. Most LBS's would tell you a much lower cost for the build. But they wouldn't do as I described. Building a bicycle (new) is, or should be, the same as a complete overhaul of everything.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just bought a new ride a couple years ago and imho don't have a preconcieved idea as to brand. I rode 6 different brands and it was very enlightening, I rode bikes from 800 - 4500 and I found that the difference in ride was astounding (personal perception) the higher price wasn't necessarily correlated to a better feel on the ride. The components varied but it was Ultegra or higher so quality was certainly good. I even rode each one at least twice and on different days just to see how I felt on a given day. I ended up with a carbon frame with ultegra (triple crank) and I'm very happy with my choice. btw it was about middle of the pack in price (2500). The other option you then have is that if you can't find the bike you want at the price you want then you may have somewhere like Craigslist to find an originally higher priced bike at a significant discount. And don't be afraid to try and dicker on prices; business is slow. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts