Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to upgrade my wheels, I am currently riding Mavic aksyum race 2010

I am looking for some light wheels but not sure how light i can go

I am about 176 pounds 5" 10 and climb hills regularly and and love heading down to beach road in melbourne and going on group rides with fast average speeds of 20 plus miles. the roads in my area are generally in good condition but there are the odd ones that are provide a few good bumps here and there

I love Decending and I would love to hit 60 mph one day. And I am currently training for the ride around Port Phillip bay here in Melbourne which is a 128 miles

Price is an issue would love to stay around the $1000 range

so here is my question how light can i go ?? and what would you recomend

Have had a good look at some AM Mags and Rolf elan but what else is out there

Thanks

Twiggy

·
Registered
788 Posts
At the top end of your budget, you could get:
Kinlin Xr 270 or Xr 300 rims
Alchemy Elf/Orc hubs
Sapim cx-ray spokes or DT Aerolites
Maybe a 28/20 build. I'm not sure which rim a builder would suggest, but the above could be anywhere between 1,400-1,500 ish grams depending on spokes and rim choice.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
with your weight (though its not too bad) i wouldn't really want to go under 1500, if they're everyday wheels. If their race day wheels then shoot for 1300-1400. i ride weighing 150lbs, and my wheels are 1550g. super upgrade from aksiums. Can you afford the SRAM S40's? If you ride a lot of flats, aerodynamic wheels will help you more than lightweight. If you ride more hills, lighter wheels will help more. If you dont mind hauling it slow up the hill and bombing down, the deep dish aero wheels will get you a higher top speed.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
I'm 5'8" and 170-ish. I sold my custom AC CR-350 wheelset which was 1323g. Wanted a stiffer wheel. Bought Shimano DA WH 7850 C24 CL carbon clinchers. They're still sub-1400g and also have the superb DA hubs. They can be found on eBay for around $700 total. Not sure why folks still think it's good to buy heavy wheels for a ton of $ when there are better options out there, be they production or customs.

·
791 Posts
ewitz said:
The easy answer is to get a decent set of tubular wheels. They are considerably lighter than clinchers.
Until you have a flat on the road.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
been200mph said:
Until you have a flat on the road.
Tubulars are less prone to flats with the higher TPI count and almost no chance of pinch flatting. Plus, it's easier to change a tubular on the side of the road than it is to replace a tube. Especially if you are using tubular tape.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
stevesbike said:
I noticed bicycle wheel warehouse has a good price on their Pure Race SuperLight, weighing 1425g, built with 24/28 Sapim CX-ray spokes. Sounds light but a set that would hold up well. Price $599 + 10% off
http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=149
I don't think they will ship to Oz though.

Edit - woops that's not so. Their Int page is here -

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=8

On 2nd & third reading of that International page, I'm not so sure of where they will ship to!

Yes, the Race and the Pure Race are great deals; great wheels. I have the Race with CX-Ray. 1410g. And 24/28 too.

·
791 Posts
ewitz said:
Tubulars are less prone to flats with the higher TPI count and almost no chance of pinch flatting. Plus, it's easier to change a tubular on the side of the road than it is to replace a tube. Especially if you are using tubular tape.
Just curious... so you carry a spare tubular with you? It's not too tough to carry a spare tube and one tire lever. And I can change out a tube pretty damn quickly. Especially with heat, humidity, and mosquitos for motivation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
been200mph said:
I'm 5'8" and 170-ish. I sold my custom AC CR-350 wheelset which was 1323g. Wanted a stiffer wheel. Bought Shimano DA WH 7850 C24 CL carbon clinchers. They're still sub-1400g and also have the superb DA hubs. They can be found on eBay for around $700 total. Not sure why folks still think it's good to buy heavy wheels for a ton of $ when there are better options out there, be they production or customs.
These are a great option - one of the riders in my group who has a set of Carbonsport Lightweight tubulars prefers these wheels in the hills (for their improved agility on bumpy descents) and on long rides when the LW's stiffness starts to tell on the body. You can regularly pick then up at an internet shop that shares its name with four guys in coloured skivies who do a kids show down here in Oz for around $750 including shipping to your door.
Readily maintainable by local bikeshops also.
To beat this wheel for weight, stiffness and maintain durability for a normal/bigger rider there aren't many production wheel options that can be had in Oz for under $2.5K to $3K+ when you start looking at the better carbon wheels.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
been200mph said:
Just curious... so you carry a spare tubular with you? It's not too tough to carry a spare tube and one tire lever. And I can change out a tube pretty damn quickly. Especially with heat, humidity, and mosquitos for motivation.
Yes, you keep a folded tubular strapped under your seat, not much bigger than a tube if folded correctly.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
dadoflam said:
four guys in coloured skivies who do a kids show down here in Oz for around $750 including shipping to your door.
That's a bargain if they'll come up here to Canada for that price. Are they good?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replys! You have given me some more home work to do, so keep them coming. I am hoping for a sub 1400grm option if possible

Not a fan of switching wheels that oftern but i do understand the Benifits of race day and main ride wheels
I ride 2 to 3 times a week and one major ride every 2nd sunday one sunday hills (40 to 60 miles) and then the next flat (40 to 80 miles) distance varies as to weather and riding level of others who join us.

And I have never had tubulars before so would prefer to stick to clinchers!! sorry no offence to tubulars

What are the cons of swapping wheels every now and then ??? would there be chain and cassett issues ???

Twiggy

And unfortunately Bicycle wharehouse only delivers to the states and Cannada

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
ewitz said:
Yes, you keep a folded tubular strapped under your seat, not much bigger than a tube if folded correctly.
quite a bit heavier though. Have fun with the high speed turns after the new tyre is on :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
twiggy73 said:
Thanks for all the replys! You have given me some more home work to do, so keep them coming. I am hoping for a sub 1400grm option if possible
My daily riders (@170lbs) have been Alchemy hubs, Kinlin XR200 rims, and CX-Ray spokes, 20f and 28r, 1267g. They've been perfect for ~7k miles til I was hit by a truck.

But... if you want customs, I know that I can't ship to OZ for <$300. Larger companies might have a deal with Fedex though, that allows them to ship at a much lower rate.

A word about light wheels... the sweet spot IMO is in the 1400-1500g range for someone your size. You can go lighter but the $/g savings goes up quite a lot, and it really doesn't make sense unless you are intending to pare weight from the other parts of your bike as well.

·
Registered
627 Posts
1. Remove flat tire
2. Replace with preglued tire
3.Inflate
4.Ride Away

No worrying about pinch flats, if there is glass/rock in the tire casting going to cause a second flat, or if it was caused by shifted rim tape. Also no problem with booting as you are changing out the whole tire.

Changing a tubular on the side of the road is very easy the pain is when you get home and you have to open the casting, patch the tube and sew it back up. Even then it is not that bad, can be done in under an hour while watching TV and drinking a beer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Soul Bike's S2.0 is what'd I'd suggest. Strikes me to be about as a good bang for the buck as anything you can get. It's well reviewed too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rruff said:
My daily riders (@170lbs) have been Alchemy hubs, Kinlin XR200 rims, and CX-Ray spokes, 20f and 28r, 1267g. They've been perfect for ~7k miles til I was hit by a truck.

But... if you want customs, I know that I can't ship to OZ for <$300. Larger companies might have a deal with Fedex though, that allows them to ship at a much lower rate.

A word about light wheels... the sweet spot IMO is in the 1400-1500g range for someone your size. You can go lighter but the $/g savings goes up quite a lot, and it really doesn't make sense unless you are intending to pare weight from the other parts of your bike as well.
So how much would a set of wheels like yours cost apart from the postage ?? cant believe it would cost $300 to send them to Australia?? sounds like a bit rich from the UPS. Would it be cheaper to build it here??

So would the Rolfs be ok ???

Twiggy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts