Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has contracted an unfortunate click. It happens only when I apply a good amount of pressure to my LEFT crank and only at about the 10/2 oclock position, whether i'm using cycling shoes or not; standing or not. The sound is akin to a brake or shifter cable tapping against my aluminum frame.

So here's a list of what I've done: relubed/retightened bottom bracket and lockring (twice), replaced bottom bracket with spare, replaced pedals, replaced wheelset, tightened/lubed chainring bolts, tightened derailleur dropout, and lubed: chain, crank splines (octalink bracket), front derailleur clamp, pedal-crank interface, stem/handlebar joint, headset, seatpost/collar, quick releases, cable housings. I've checked all the cables and made sure they aren't in the way, took off the bike computer/cadence monitor, waterbottle cages, and seat bag.

Kerry Irons - I've searched through your posts and done everything that you normally prescribe for noises.

And the click continues unabated, with none of the above even quieting it. I'm beginning to think that I may have a crack in the frame, but I cannot find one on the frame's exterior. If anyone has had any experiences with unordinary causes of clicks, please let me know. I can't find anymore bike parts to lube, replace, or tighten. :mad2:

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't click on the stand. It only clicks when I apply force to the left crank while pedalling.

Already greased the seat post.

Teflon tape is on (with and without antiseize...neither worked)

Clicks even when I pedal using regular street shoes. I replaced the pedals themselves and the click is still there. But once again, only when pedalling with the left crank.

Chances are, if you can think of a metal-metal interface, I've already tightened/greased/taped/replaced it. If you name one and I haven't, I'll go to it asap. I'm beginning to think it could be a crank problem, but I cannot think of where it would be b/c there's not much to a crank.

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mersault said:
Left side? is your leg hitting the rear brake housing loop, and that taps against the frame?
I've got rubber beads on the cable so it shouldn't make any noise. I made sure they were spaced out also so that there wasn't a section that could easily tap against the frame.

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mersault said:
I was talking about the HOUSING, not the cable. I had to trim my rear brake housing by the brake caliper once because it stuck up to high and my leg kept hitting it.
Didn't read closely enough, but no, it's really not possible for my leg to hit the rear brake housing the way it is set up (especially while standing).

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
saddle rail-seat post clamp interface...

Check your saddle rails and seat post clamp... or switch them out to see if itis coming from there. I've had a unilateral click emanate from a bent rail flexing within the post clamp....

I hope you find it...

joe

edit: sorry, i just remembered you said it clicks whether you are in the saddle or not. Hmm...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Going through the same type of thing

I demand silence from my rides. I have a tick/click noise coming from my Ti frame. I have tried all the usual suspects, 2 at a time. First was the easy stuff, then I went a little harder(bb and headset). After yesterdays ride, I noticed that the noise was not happeneing when I stand, it was not there last year, but is now there when I repositioned my saddle this year. Today I took the post/saddle apart, cleaned and lubed as that seems to be the only culprit with the exception of the bar interface. The noise seems to be underneath me and to the rear. I don't recall you mentioning seat rails.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try this:

Remove all grease from the seatpost/seatube.

Apply green Locktite (penetrating, very liquid kind) onto the seatpost and into the seatube. Be liberal, spread it around.

Slide the seatpost into the seatube, pump it a few times and then insert it as much as you can. Tighten it down. Lie the bike down on its side overnight. The bike has to be lying down so that the locktite doesn't creep into the BB threads.

The next day, remove the seatpost. The post will feel tighter and if your lucky, the noise gone.

This solution has worked more than once for me.

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bg. said:
Try this:

Remove all grease from the seatpost/seatube.

Apply green Locktite (penetrating, very liquid kind) onto the seatpost and into the seatube. Be liberal, spread it around.

Slide the seatpost into the seatube, pump it a few times and then insert it as much as you can. Tighten it down. Lie the bike down on its side overnight. The bike has to be lying down so that the locktite doesn't creep into the BB threads.

The next day, remove the seatpost. The post will feel tighter and if your lucky, the noise gone.

This solution has worked more than once for me.
It's not the seat, seatpost, or seat rails. I just rode it standing up without the seat/seatpost included and it clicks. I like the idea though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.