Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I have been waiting and waiting for somebody to post a video on YouTube or elsewhere that showcases their Chris King R45 hubs. In particular, I want to hear the freehub sound. To date, no one has stepped up. How about someone posts a video and provides a link here?
Thanks in advance!
LB

· Registered
838 Posts
likeybikey said:
Hi Folks,
I have been waiting and waiting for somebody to post a video on YouTube or elsewhere that showcases their Chris King R45 hubs. In particular, I want to hear the freehub sound. To date, no one has stepped up. How about someone posts a video and provides a link here?
Thanks in advance!
LB
I will be adding a R45 hub to my hub sound video on youtube but it won't be until sometime next week. I can tell you that they are about half the noise of the King Classic hub.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
Ligero said:
I will be adding a R45 hub to my hub sound video on youtube but it won't be until sometime next week. I can tell you that they are about half the noise of the King Classic hub.

:cryin: I love the sound of my CK mtb hub. I coast a lot less on the road, but when I do, it seem weird that the buzzing isn't there.

When I do up a wheel set, I going to go custom with CK hubs.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
They need to get to making some Campy hubs dammmit. :mad:

· Registered
4 Posts
I have King Classics on my MTB and I just got some R45s today with some Edge tubulars. I can tell you right now, they seem just as loud when I spin them in my hands. I still have to glue up the tubulars so that will take several days before I will know what they sound like on the bike but if you are looking for a stealthy hub, these aren't it but if you love the angry bee like I do, these are perfect. I don't see putting 'em on YouTube but if anyone wants to hear them badly enough, PM me and I will send you a video.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Yamabushi said:
WOW, that's quite a racket from the Chris King's!
They are loud when brand new, but quite down a bit when run for a while. I don't have the R45s, but was on a ride with someone who did and rode with her most of the day and I can tell you that the R45s are much quieter than the Classics from that perspective. They were a great looking set of wheels.

Ligero: Great video. The ORC and your new hubs are almost silent. Great work on the design of your hubs.

· Registered
813 Posts
I ride both hubs, and the R45s are quite a bit quieter. While you can always hear the Classic, I don't notice the R45 over the wind noise, at all. In fact, my chain noise while pedaling seems louder than the R45 when coasting. It's still more of a high-frequency buzz than a typical hub with pawls, though.

I have had to regrease the R45 ring drive once, already (I started having engagement issues after one extremely wet ride). I used Super Web Grease, since that's what I had. No issues in another 1k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.