Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend turned me on to a small shop somewhere (i think) in the midwest where they sell their own brands starting at about $100. electric guitars and bass guitars, and a few small amps. said they were good quality for the $, in his and others' experience. they ship cheap and prices are right. but i've lost the site...??

anyways, wanna get an el cheapo bass that's fairly decent to start back, and try to keep the gigging/practice amp to around $350 or less. we're not talking about anything virtuoso on stage or even something that needs to be crisp or super-clean; we're talking about metal and punk rock covers in a smoke-filled bar the size of my 3br house or smaller.

been looking at musician's friend online, but it's been 15ish years since i've played with a band, and i'm clueless as to what i'm seeing or need...:(

hizzook me up. pa-leeze.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
a friend turned me on to a small shop somewhere (i think) in the midwest where they sell their own brands starting at about $100. electric guitars and bass guitars, and a few small amps. said they were good quality for the $, in his and others' experience. they ship cheap and prices are right. but i've lost the site...??

anyways, wanna get an el cheapo bass that's fairly decent to start back, and try to keep the gigging/practice amp to around $350 or less. we're not talking about anything virtuoso on stage or even something that needs to be crisp or super-clean; we're talking about metal and punk rock covers in a smoke-filled bar the size of my 3br house or smaller.

been looking at musician's friend online, but it's been 15ish years since i've played with a band, and i'm clueless as to what i'm seeing or need...:(

hizzook me up. pa-leeze.
I don't know shizzit about basses and am just learning about electric geetar twangers, but this looks OK for 2 bills:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=518523

or here's a whole setup for 3 bills:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=517236

//with all the professional and semi-pro musicians we have on this board we should have a music get together where everyone brings and instrument and jams.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Woo!

Glad to hear you want to get back in to bassing! I remember you saying that yuou were a gigging bassist from back when in my bass thread.

Anyway, i think the site you're probably thinking of is www.rondomusic.com the makers of SX basses.

I've owned an SX bass an I'll vouch for the quality as such a rediculous price. They're innexpensive, but they're no worse in my opinion, than a Mexi. Fender, and that'll run you about $400, whereas the SX's are about $100, and they have all different models and copies of popular brands.

As for an amp, I'd say get a combo and go used for the best deal. Too bad you're not in So. Cal, as I've got a SWR Workingmans 15'' combo amp on the block. I doubt you'd want to pay shipping on it, though I'd be willing to sell it to you for less than you listed that you wanted to pay. If you're looking at something new and innexpensive, check out SWR's LA series. They're crazy cheap for what you get, and I've heard good things about them. I don't know how long they'd last under really heavy usage, but at the very least they'd be able to get you back into the mix till you decide that you'd like to really dig back into it.

http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?cat=laseries

Good luck with everything man, and if you've got any questions about anything, lemme know.

joe

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES! rondo is the one!!!

yeah, don't wanna pay shipping these days, gotta go with a place that has a package deal and cheapo shipping. then again, the workingman is what a friend highly recommended...

THANKS for the URL!!!!!!!!!!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see, i don't even know SWR. that's how pathetic my situation be.

is this enough for gigging small places, miked?

and practicing unmiked, with a drummer?

and how about rep and reliability? etc?

thx.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Now you got me looking...would something like this be better than a Epiphone or Squier? Looks like a hell of a guitar for $200....

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500csbp90.html

There is actually quite a bit of respect for SX basses, as far as affordability, value, and bang for your buck, I'm sure it has to flow over into their guitars, but I don't have any personal experience.

I would absolutley buy a SX over a Squire, speaking in terms of basses. As far as Epi goes, I've nor really had much experience with them personally. But I'm assuming an Epi Les Paul would run you quite a bit more than that SX you posted there.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

thx.

SWR is a really popular company. They are bass specific, which I think is a good thing. They were also bought out by Fender pretty recently, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it. In one view a lot of people think that cheapens the products being made, in another view, that's probably the reason they're able to do things like the LA series.

the bummer about the LA series though is that, as far as I know, they don't come with a DI, which can be a drag when playing live if you can't get the volume you want. You can always mic it, but I've never had a good experience with that, as every "sound guy" i've met has been a jackass who doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

As far as volume goes, I've played an LA 12 at Guitar Center before, and it was a lot louder than i expected it to be. The 15'' will push some more air, and has a few more watts behind it. Depending on your drummer I'd say you'd be okay for jamming, but if you live next to a GC, they generally have them that you can check out.

I'd say go in to the GC and try out everything you can. GK has a Backine series that is pretty popular as well, and GK has their signature growl that a lot of people like. Go to GC and crank everything up and have fun with it. if they tell you to turn down, just growl at them and tell them that you're not going to buy something till you've had a chance to put it through the tests.

joe

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
YES! rondo is the one!!!

yeah, don't wanna pay shipping these days, gotta go with a place that has a package deal and cheapo shipping. then again, the workingman is what a friend highly recommended...

THANKS for the URL!!!!!!!!!!
Can't beat this: SX SPB-62K Bass Guitar & Amp Package for $139!!! Is it just me, or does the headstock on this thing look ridiculously big?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Now you got me looking...would something like this be better than a Epiphone or Squier? Looks like a hell of a guitar for $200....

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500csbp90.html
A word of warning on this one--P90 pickups sound awesome, but they are kind of midrangey, and are definitely one-trick ponies. And they're single coils, so they are prone to buzzing.

I've got a guitar with P90s, and it sounds fat and fantastic, but you can't do clean chiming sounds with it, and you have to turn the guitar volume off when you're not actually playing (like between songs).

Just so you know.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

thx.
SWR is a very good brand, and they're reaching down a little into the budget ranges now, which is nice.

According to my bass player, you want as much power as you can afford--the more you have, the better it'll handle the bass signal. And if you don't need all the volume, you can turn it down--you can't turn an underpowered amp up past 10, generally. 100 watts seems pretty low-powered to me for trying to play unmiked in a club. Even in a small club, you'd be maxed out, I'd think. You could definitely practice with 100, though.

Most bass amps have pretty effective EQ sections, so any of them can be made to sound good for what you're talking about doing. Bill's amp is some crappy old Peavey 400 watt head from about 1980--just like Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth used to use--through a 1975 Fender cab. A snobby player would probably say it was crap, but you know? It sounds pretty good. And this is a guy who has access to a VERY nice rig his wife toured with in Jawbox. He prefers the funky old Peavey.

Speaking of old gear, you're in Memphis! Get thee to a used instrument store or a pawnshop--I'm sure there are dozens in town. Used bass rigs are a dime a dozen, and since you're looking for basic function and not anything fancy, I'm sure you can get some cosmetically challenged but fully functional amp for a song. The old Peaveys are f*ucking rock solid, and the Ampegs from the 80s are really something too. Get solid state for trouble-free operation, by the way.

I'd buy more carefully for the bass itself, though. I'm out of the loop on those, so I'd defer to others on that.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
The three pronged gigs are the best for gigging.

OOPS, I just realized we are not talking about the same kind of gigging.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Three letters...

SVT... 300 watts with 8 x 10" speaker cab.

Now you've just gotta find an ape for hire to move it.

But seriously, I love Ampeg amps. I had an SVT and a B-15S Portaflex combo amp at one time. Actually if you can fine a B-15 that could be good amp for you. That's the amp that Motown session man James Jamerson used and I think Duck from Booker T/Stax house band used that amp also if I'm not mistaken.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Woo!

Glad to hear you want to get back in to bassing! I remember you saying that yuou were a gigging bassist from back when in my bass thread.

Anyway, i think the site you're probably thinking of is www.rondomusic.com the makers of SX basses.

I've owned an SX bass an I'll vouch for the quality as such a rediculous price. They're innexpensive, but they're no worse in my opinion, than a Mexi. Fender, and that'll run you about $400, whereas the SX's are about $100, and they have all different models and copies of popular brands.

As for an amp, I'd say get a combo and go used for the best deal. Too bad you're not in So. Cal, as I've got a SWR Workingmans 15'' combo amp on the block. I doubt you'd want to pay shipping on it, though I'd be willing to sell it to you for less than you listed that you wanted to pay. If you're looking at something new and innexpensive, check out SWR's LA series. They're crazy cheap for what you get, and I've heard good things about them. I don't know how long they'd last under really heavy usage, but at the very least they'd be able to get you back into the mix till you decide that you'd like to really dig back into it.

http://swrsound.com/products/search.php?cat=laseries

Good luck with everything man, and if you've got any questions about anything, lemme know.

joe

SWR makes some nice bass amps.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
rocco said:
SVT... 300 watts with 8 x 10" speaker cab.

Now you've just gotta find an ape for hire to move it.

But seriously, I love Ampeg amps. I had an SVT and a B-15S Portaflex combo amp at one time. Actually if you can fine a B-15 that could be good amp for you. That's the amp that Motown session man James Jamerson used and I think Duck from Booker T/Stax house band used that amp also if I'm not mistaken.

I've got myself a Mesa 400+ on top of an SWR Goliath III. Sounds amazing. About 300 all tube watts. Absolutley amazing.

joe

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
A word of warning on this one--P90 pickups sound awesome, but they are kind of midrangey, and are definitely one-trick ponies. And they're single coils, so they are prone to buzzing.

I've got a guitar with P90s, and it sounds fat and fantastic, but you can't do clean chiming sounds with it, and you have to turn the guitar volume off when you're not actually playing (like between songs).

Just so you know.
hmm...that doesn't sound all that great for an only electric guitar--

would these pickups be any more versatile? What should I look for in pickups that has a relatively fat, crunchy sound, but still can play the single notes?

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000flmtops.htmlhttp://www.rondomusic.net/al2000csb.html

1 - 20 of 32 Posts