Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start cycling again for my health. A major study found those who cycle at least 20 miles a week are half as likely to have
heart problems as those who don't cycle at all.I want to cycle to help lose weight effectively and healthily.Also want to do a charity ride and raise money for a good cause.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To sound like a broken record: just ride.

For the first summer, 2 years ago, my usual routine was to ride a 3-ish mile loop near my house 2, maybe 3 days a week. Then a 15-20 mile ride with friends on Saturday. For a good while I felt absolutely murdered after my Saturday ride. I would flop in front of the TV and snack and nap.

Nowadays I commute to work (9.5 one way) maybe 4 times a week (there always seems to be some errand I need a car for), a 20-25 mile ride with friends on Saturday, and a 10 mile ride to my parents with my 8 year old daughter for Sunday dinner. I feel almost nothing after my Saturday rides these days. Afterwards I mow the lawn, run through a couple loads of laundry, and play around with the kids.

Just make sure you get out there and keep going out there. Start small, start slow, start comfortable, and just enjoy it. You'll find you will be able to pile on the miles in a surprisingly short amount of time.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
do it. it is useful for exactly those reasons

I got the heart issue regardless (bad luck, an infection), but the cycling helps ensure it doesn't kill me before I am 55

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
a girl on a little bike without foot retention left me in the dust on a hill today. usually when i see that kind of thing happen, the person is on an electric bike. not so today. she was just pedaling like crazy in a high gear on her tourer. i caught up to her at a light, and she turned and smiled. a little later, she started standing and mashing to pull away again. it was so cool.

point: almost anyone can bike to nearly any level given time and earnest desire.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I want to start cycling again for my health. A major study found those who cycle at least 20 miles a week are half as likely to have
heart problems as those who don't cycle at all.I want to cycle to help lose weight effectively and healthily.Also want to do a charity ride and raise money for a good cause.
I hear you.

A number of years ago, close to my 37th birthday, I got on the scale and saw 195 lb. I had two young children for whom I wanted to be around, and for whom I wanted to be active and able to play (and, eventually maybe, able to play with their children). I started riding (and working out on a Nordic Track when I couldn't ride because I had to watch the kids). I could barely finish my first ride - it was about 10 mi and it took me almost an hour. I don't want to think how high my heart rate must have been at the end of the ride (we live at the top of a climb that, today, takes me 8 - 9 min. at around 8 - 9 mph).

After about a year, I saw a charity ride (MS ride, across the Tappan Zee bridge - one of my sisters-in-law has MS), it was 62 miles. That became my goal, and I was eventually doing 60+ mile rides to Harriman park and back to train for it. I did the charity ride, raised some money, finished the ride. I eventually got down to about 160 lb, and I've mostly kept the weight off (my weight fluctuates some, like most).

I've been cycling ever since, sometimes more, sometimes less. I hope that you find cycling is for you, but even if you decide it isn't I hope that at least it breaks your inertia, you'll probably be happier and healthier as long as you keep your body moving - that's been my experience, at least.

---------------

·
δanned
7,005 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
It doesn't take a lot of chum for the sharks to start circling, I think I smell some bait :0

·
Registered
191 Posts

I already have heart problems. I ride 100 miles a week so they don't get worse and kill me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts