Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 possible NCVC rider approaching, 3 fat teens walking on the bike path (mile ~1.5 W&OD trail) - taking up 3/4 of the path, I was approaching the teens from behind - the one in the middle walked behind his friend who barely gave the NCVC rider some room on the path and started to stutter step to make the rider flinch some ..

A few thoughts came to mine... yelling "GET the f* out of my way" or approaching fast and saying "oh s*!" (like how you would say when you are about to crash)...

Well, I approached slow - and threw on the brakes enough to give me a foot of slide - straight at him.. at least it got him out of the way and hopefully showed him we aren't playing the bike path and if you mess with one of us we are going to mess with you! :thumbsup:

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
It's an MUT, not a bike path. Give 'em a loud "on the left!" and if they don't give you room, buzz 'em close and smack the closest on the back of the head when you pass.

G

·
magnolialover said:
Just ride on the road where there are really no pedestrians, problem fixed.
Except when a panel truck decides that six inches of clearance ought to be enough for everyone (@#$%@!!). Or any number of similar 'real fun' scenarios...

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
The National Capital Velo Club, from the Washington, DC area. Where the W&OD trail runs from the Key bridge out to Vienna, VA, and beyond.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
my favorite path-clearer...

bas said:
or approaching fast and saying "oh s*!" (like how you would say when you are about to crash)...
similar...

If I'm riding towards MUT users, trail hikers, etc. and no one is real motivated to make room for a cyclist, I take my feet off the pedals, start dragging them on the ground and swerving the handlebars back 'n forth, all the while with a serious look of panic on my face, like I've just completely lost control of my bicycle. Maybe I'm mumbling "siht, siht, siht!" or something too.

Watch how fast they jump out of the way ;)

Works like a charm - but you gotta commit 100% and not laugh. Of course after I've passed them I've magically regained control of the bike.

I'm really not into physical confrontation, unless they initiate. Then the wheels are off.

hw

·
merckxman
2,217 Posts
On Your Left

A friend had a very serious accident after shouting ON YOUR LEFT. The person didn't know what that meant and moved to the left taking my friend down...broken leg.

KenB said:
It's an MUT, not a bike path. Give 'em a loud "on the left!" and if they don't give you room, buzz 'em close and smack the closest on the back of the head when you pass.

·
Registered
732 Posts
merckxman said:
A friend had a very serious accident after shouting ON YOUR LEFT. The person didn't know what that meant and moved to the left taking my friend down...broken leg.
Yeah, "on your left" really means turn and walk into me...

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
asterisk said:
... until they decide to just clothes-line the next cyclist they pass in retaliation.
yeah, like I would really worry about that. And this "on your left" sh*t aint gonna work either.

Just use a commanding voice to the little darlings, and be assertive. "Look out boys!!"

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
merckxman said:
Then your friend probably shouldn't have been flying down the MUT. If he gave warning far enough back, he'd have had plenty of time to avoid a crash, unless he was flying. I've had more than my share of peds move to the left instead of the right. Have never hit one though. As I pass, I usually say "your OTHER left". Everyone is a first time trail user once. If you don't wan't to give a vocal warning, then get a bell.

Pedestrians, even stupid ones, have the ROW on the trails. I find it incredibly ironic that cyclists refuse to pay the same courtesies to peds on the MUTs as they expect drivers to pay them on the road. Chances are that the rules of the trail are that you give warning before passing, yeild to pedestrians on the trail and keep your speed to 15mph or less. IME, cyclists are by FAR the worst offenders when it comes to bad behavior on the trails. That's why I try to stay off them or only ride on low traffic days.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Thorn Bait said:
Yeah, "on your left" really means turn and walk into me...
Yep,only works with other cyclist and not even all of them and you have to be on top of them before they hear you with the wind or talking with a friend.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I always make a honk noise like the car horns from roger the rabbit movies, some of my other friends have other made up whistles or honks they use and some with really clickly Dura-ace drivetrains just stop pedalling and let the clicking make the noise :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.