Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to tell you guys about an incendent that happened to me tonight. I was heading up to a restaurant up a canyon for dinner and went up past it and turned around up the road a bit and headed back to park in the parking lot. As I went to make the left turn I see a flash of something and it hit the front of my FJ. It was a guy on a road bike. He proceeded to ricochet off my FJ and fly into a park bench and then into a stone fence post. I thought that this guy was dead as he had riden and flown about 60 feet. As I just found out he is actually fine. No broken bones just some stitches and lots of bruising. He recieved a reckless driving ticket and a broken bike. It was a reminder to me that I need to be careful not only of others actions but also my actions.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Police did get involved and he recieved a reckless driving ticket for passing on a double yellow line and excessive speed. I had no damage to my FJ as I think he must have hit my tire as I was turning and I do have much larger than stock tires on it. I may go help him get his ticket reduced but I have not decided yet. Looking at the grade and what I think my guess is he was going in excess of 45 MPH

· Registered
2,358 Posts
No way. The only way he could've launched that far without causing any damage to your truck is if those "much larger" tires were Cooper STT 285/75/17s and that assumes an OME 3" lift. Otherwise, I'm not buyin the story.

· banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
SKIBUMM said:
Police did get involved and he recieved a reckless driving ticket for passing on a double yellow line and excessive speed. I had no damage to my FJ as I think he must have hit my tire as I was turning and I do have much larger than stock tires on it. I may go help him get his ticket reduced but I have not decided yet. Looking at the grade and what I think my guess is he was going in excess of 45 MPH
Stay out of it. That ticket is helping to protect you from liability.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
SKIBUMM said:
I would like to tell you guys about an incendent that happened to me tonight. I was heading up to a restaurant up a canyon for dinner and went up past it and turned around up the road a bit and headed back to park in the parking lot. As I went to make the left turn I see a flash of something and it hit the front of my FJ. It was a guy on a road bike. He proceeded to ricochet off my FJ and fly into a park bench and then into a stone fence post. I thought that this guy was dead as he had riden and flown about 60 feet. As I just found out he is actually fine. No broken bones just some stitches and lots of bruising. He recieved a reckless driving ticket and a broken bike. It was a reminder to me that I need to be careful not only of others actions but also my actions.
What the hell is an FJ?

· Premium Member
3,495 Posts
JohnStonebarger said:
What the hell is an FJ?
The FJ Cruiser is an SUV made by Toyota - kinda like a cross between a 4Runner and a Jeep.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OldZaskar said:
No way. The only way he could've launched that far without causing any damage to your truck is if those "much larger" tires were Cooper STT 285/75/17s and that assumes an OME 3" lift. Otherwise, I'm not buyin the story.
Do you know me becasue that is exactly to the letter what lift and tires I am running?
I did find a little mark on my sliders this morning that looks like skin but nor sure.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
Just so I understand, you were turning left into a parking lot, and he came from behind you and attempted to pass on the left- thus hitting you as you turned? It doesn't matter really, but I'm just trying to figure out the scenario.

Glad he's ok, I'll bet he'll learn a lesson. When I was a young traffic-jamming roadie in the city, it took me getting hooked by a (legally) right turning car to learn the big "DUH": don't pass cars on the right at an intersection, dummie! Luckily I didn't get hurt and neither did the car. (I was pretty quick to slow and turn the same direction, so I more or less hit the side of the car/window area with my shoulder - both window and shoulder can take quite an impact w/o damage). Those lessons are the best - the ones that scare the be-geebers out of you w/o real damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.