Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 110 degrees when I rolled out. About 1/3 of the way into my ride I noticed I was drinking more than usual. Then my "power" started to fall off. An hour in, I had wiped out two bottles and I still had 4-5 miles left. My mouth was completely parched and I was sort of loopy. I stood up to stretch my legs and someone rode up beside me and asked me if I was OK because I was "swerving a little bit". I told them I felt like I was about to bonk. The dude offered me some water and I declined (there was a fountain just up the road). He rode with me until I stopped for a refill.

Three miles to go I felt the slightest tingling of chill bumps washing over me. Bad sign. So it was close. I managed to back off my already anemic pace and then struggled mightily over the last couple of hills to get home. I promptly drank yet another full bottle of ice water which seemed to help. Dinner helped a little too.

I was restless the remainder of the night and did not sleep worth a crap. I still feel a bit off today. Thank God it wasn't worse.

Lesson: Hydrate really well during the day if you are going to roll out in 110 degree early evening heat.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
I think everybody has to experience this at least once before they really understand what it means to get dehydrated. I've been there a couple of times living here in AZ.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Last night was the most perfect riding weather I've ever experienced. 70 degrees with no wind. I took four compatriots on a 35 mile route that encompasses some of the normal routes we take but nobody ever strings these sections together like I did last night. Smooth pavement the whole way, a little climbing, a section of rollers. Everybody thought it was a pretty cool route.

BTW, glad you made it home without dying. :)

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
yah boy... was gonna do a recovery ride last night... walked outside, felt the baking heat, said 'ahhh fukkitt' and went and laid on the couch.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this happen before, but I was shocked at how quickly this came on yesterday. The other times have been after 3+ hours of hard riding so it's understandable. Last night I was feeling it after 30-45 minutes. I tried to pound in the water, but I was too far gone to recover so I limped it home. Barely.

Luckily I didn't get the full on, full body chill bump waves, but they were close. Those crush me for a LONG time afterwards. It is not fun.

Smart move to sit it out last night Creaky.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This last weekend really drained me (AZ was hot and humid). Rode 80 miles between Saturday and Sunday and was really pooped. Last year, I was coming home in the condition described by the OP and knew I was at my limit. So I stopped for a few minutes in some shade about 1 mile from home to cool the body down before the last hill (if you can cool down when it is 110). Took off, came to a 4 way stop, looked both ways and then rolled thru the intersection. A car pulled beside me going my direction and the driver starting yelling at me for not stopping, not to expect respect if you don't follow the laws, etc. It was so humorous to me at the time as I was so exhausted I couldn't even manage an expression or reply -- I know I must have looked like a zombie to the driver.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I've had that happen to me before, both running and riding. Its never a fun thing.

On the other end of the spectrum, Ejdo and I went for about 20 last night. It is finally a little cooler here, with the slightest drizzle every so often. He led the first half of the ride, then I led the second. Felt great.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maximum15 said:
This last weekend really drained me (AZ was hot and humid). Rode 80 miles between Saturday and Sunday and was really pooped. Last year, I was coming home in the condition described by the OP and knew I was at my limit. So I stopped for a few minutes in some shade about 1 mile from home to cool the body down before the last hill (if you can cool down when it is 110). Took off, came to a 4 way stop, looked both ways and then rolled thru the intersection. A car pulled beside me going my direction and the driver starting yelling at me for not stopping, not to expect respect if you don't follow the laws, etc. It was so humorous to me at the time as I was so exhausted I couldn't even manage an expression or reply -- I know I must have looked like a zombie to the driver.
Stopping usually helps some, but it's dang near impossible to get any power back at all. I've been there before too.

Re:drivers and zombie expressions - I was in a group doing a particularly hilly 3+hr ride in the summer a few years back. The pace was pretty quick and I was suffering up a mabye 6 minute climb dropping off the back of the group, as usual. I was deep in the pain cave and dropping quick. Maybe 2/3's of the way up a car full of HS girls pulled up beside me and asked me a question, "where's the entrance to the State Park" or something like that. I just kept going. They asked again. No response from me. Then they started honking the horn trying to get my attention so I could tell them this pressing piece of info. Then the cussing at me started. It was all I could do to turn my head and look at them. I must have had a seriously zombie look because they immediately shut up and drove off. They were at the top of the hill at the entrance to the park when I pulled in and almost collapsed. I think they finally realized what was going on when I could barely get unclipped and off my bike.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Nearly bonked myself. Doing the hill repeats and felt stupid-fast since there was less wind and the air was thinner(?). Half-way up the change in altitude was seemingly exaggerated. Mouth went so dry, lungs couldn't suck up anything, and my eyes were shutting for 3-5 second periods at a time. Nearly veered into some dog **** and a bush.

This was the first time the Bay Area as has felt anything north of 75 degrees in a while. I believe it's in the 90's today. IMO, I think it's the change in weather that hit me, not the well-being of it. Plan to get acquainted by the end of the week if it stays.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i bonked. and called wife for the rescue.

i bonked. and called wife for the rescue. i had played ultimate that summer morn, then movwed lawn. late afternoon, realized i had time for a 20-mile ride.

abt 3 miles from home, on no-shoulder street, i realized i was going about 1mph, and had no kick to get out of way if a car was comin' at me, or if I had to cross an intersection quickly. i have limped in before, but maybe at 10mph. I actually almost had too little brain power to figure out I was going 1mph not 10mph. it felt like 10mph.

I pulled over to a driveway, and bailed. called the wife to rescue me. she showed up pretty quickly, and was cool abt it. the crappy thing was having to disassemble the bike, with no energy, to get it to fit in a honda civic 2-door. that must have been funny to watch.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Now for the good news: yesterday the wind turned around... and started blowing from the NORTH!

YAAAAHHHHH!!!!! cool weather is here!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
That sounds more like heat exhaustion or dehydration than bonking. When you bonk, it's due to lack of energy from using up the available food supplies in your blood. That is unlikely to happen after only riding an hour or so. I have never bonked, but I have gotten dehydrated and suffered mild heat exhaustion on rides with similar symptoms and leg cramping.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was <------------------- this ---------------------> close to boinking last night

Don't forget the electrolytes.

All sorts of high temperature records here in the SF Bay Area yesterday, not 110 though.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
thats not bonking, that's heat exhaustion.
bonking is a complete out of body, mind disconnencting, experience.
I've done it once, about six years ago, I do NOT recommend it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bonked real bad last week - 3 miles into a 12 mile run home from work. Sometimes my blood sugar just plummets. Hands were shaking and everything. No cell to get rescued, had money but not near a store. This was on the path along Kelly Drive in Philadelphia. I needed help, and fast. So I went up to this couple enjoying a picnic and asked them for food. They gave me chicken, awesome fries, and a cold bottle of water. This got me to a store 3-4 miles further, where I bought a Snickers bar that got me home. That sucked. Nice couple.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Creakyknees said:
yah boy... was gonna do a recovery ride last night... walked outside, felt the baking heat, said 'ahhh fukkitt' and went and laid on the couch.
I was going to ride on Tuesday and went outside and said the same thing. Monday was a different story, nice temps in the low 90's at the end of the ride. Got 35 miles in.
I really haven't been riding enough, with just over a month away for the Livestrong challenge in October.

And bonking is when you run out of energy due to lack of food. Dehydration is what you meant, I'm sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts