Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older 600 ultegra 9spd rear der of 10 year old vintage gave up the ghost the other day and would not keep the chain tensioned. So i took it to the shop and figured what the hey, try one of the new SLX shadow rear ders on my rig. So far after two rides it is working fine. However, FRED that i am, i may have to upgrade it to something sexier, like XTR for the "good looks" My moto, if you cant be fast, at least look good. LOL LOL LOL

But honestly it worked wonders with the 12/27 cassette and 34/50 compact crank.

Bill

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Nope. MTB rear derailleurs are tougher than road ones. I ran XT short and long cage with Ultegra 10 speed for a long time. Got a stick caught one night on a trail ride that flipped the r/d all the way around backwards, past the stop. Pulled out the stick, flipped the r/d around and rode it home...and for another year or so!
Shifting performance is fine. The difference is feel is negligible. Someone will pop on here to say that it's slower, or that performance suffers, but it's just not true.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Nope. MTB rear derailleurs are tougher than road ones. I ran XT short and long cage with Ultegra 10 speed for a long time. Got a stick caught one night on a trail ride that flipped the r/d all the way around backwards, past the stop. Pulled out the stick, flipped the r/d around and rode it home...and for another year or so!
So what happened when you replicated that incident with a road RD?

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Sure, cross is rough on parts, but you don't exactly catch and flip up a stick on a grass section during a cross race. Nor are the rock gardens in the middle of a CX race to crash on.

I've raced the Ultegra SL and crashed the sh*t out of it and had no issues.
If I was building a monster-cross bike, I'd go w/a mountain r/d everytime. Tougher attachment point and tougher pivots with no downside other than a little bit of weight...no brainer.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Sure, cross is rough on parts, but you don't exactly catch and flip up a stick on a grass section during a cross race. Nor are the rock gardens in the middle of a CX race to crash on.
I've raced in three series in two states where sticks on a course are a matter of, uh, course. I'm sure that my experience is relatively mundane in that respect.

Plus the mud, which is hell on drivetrains.

No rock gardens in CX, but there are no wooden barriers in XC.

backinthesaddle said:
Tougher attachment point and tougher pivots with no downside other than a little bit of weight...no brainer.
I'd be interested to know your basis for citing this extra toughness. And have you adjusted for the additional leverage created by the longer cage?

The only functional reason I would choose an MTB RD is if I wanted a cog that a road RD couldn't clear.

· Registered
2,370 Posts
Road and MTB derailleurs are about the same for durability from what I can tell. Another thing to consider is that MTB and Road derailleurs have slightly different travel angles to match the intended cogset type(MTB cogsets have always been far broader range than Road). Shadow derailleurs usually don't shift as well either since they're more flexible at the mounting point on the frame. If you replaced a clapped out road derailleur then it probably works great by comparison but a short cage road derailleur should be sharper shifting.

· Registered
74 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Sure, cross is rough on parts, but you don't exactly catch and flip up a stick on a grass section during a cross race.
I wish that were true. At a Livermore race one time I got a stick caught that ripped my XT derailleur out of the threads of my Kelly dropout. The derailleur and chain were toast, and the dropout was barely saved with a helicoil.

Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.