Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weight is noticble under me
The way the bike flicks is noticbily lighter, something about the hubs/rotors/caliper center mass in the middle of a wheel [email protected]?!?!

Excited to smash it this season after a couple years of injury recovery!

Hahahahah underbraked bikes are fasterrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy 420!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Weight is noticble under me
The way the bike flicks is noticbily lighter, something about the hubs/rotors/caliper center mass in the middle of a wheel [email protected]?!?!

Excited to smash it this season after a couple years of injury recovery!

Hahahahah underbraked bikes are fasterrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent point. Brakes can only slow you down.

Happy 420!
Happy hitler's birthday to you, too!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
all you need to do is modulate speed. In all my years of cx racing I don't recall having to slam brakes to stop

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Disc brakes are fine on my MTB. Overkill half the time, but fine. I cannot imagine wanting them on my CX bikes, let alone on a road bike.

Even on an old steel tandem that must weigh 40 lbs, rim brakes paired with a drum in back mean I can descend fully loaded almost endlessly without a problem. Why would I want disc brakes?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I'm new to CX riding so my bike skills most likely really suck compared to anyone with any real experience yet I've done some rides on woodsy trails that are about as steep, rough and challenging as it would be possible to ride on without a full mountain bike.
In other words if anyone would have an issue with the supposed inferiority of cantis it would be me. But, they are perfectly fine and give all the power and modulation I'll ever need.

I'm really glad I stuck with my instinct and didn't listen to the 99% that told me I really should get disc brakes for a CX bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm new to CX riding so my bike skills most likely really suck compared to anyone with any real experience yet I've done some rides on woodsy trails that are about as steep, rough and challenging as it would be possible to ride on without a full mountain bike.
In other words if anyone would have an issue with the supposed inferiority of cantis it would be me. But, they are perfectly fine and give all the power and modulation I'll ever need.

I'm really glad I stuck with my instinct and didn't listen to the 99% that told me I really should get disc brakes for a CX bike.
Yeah the ONLY drawback is wet conditions and if you bend a wheel with disc you can keep rocking if its not rubbing the frame or fork on a disc bike. I actually had that happen in a race once when i had my disc crux. But since then i learned not to run into the barriers lol.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
For off road I prefer disk brakes. Sure you can use cantis (my first single speed bike used cantis and I survived plenty of races) but disks are superior. It is not the stopping power, but the easy control in really rough stuff.

I never even considered getting a CX bike without disk brakes. And I ride the damn thing on the same courses where we race mountain bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
I usually race on my SS cross bike, but sometimes on the geared cross bike, both have Canti's and are nice steel frames, even a great steel fork on the SS, and they both work well, though yea in really muddy races or rides it has limitations, along with causing not insignificant wear to the wheels brake track. But having Canti's on a good steel bike also allows you to have a steel cross bike as light as most aluminum and some carbon cross bikes with disc brakes, and have the great ride quality of a well made domestic steel frame. Canti's and mini V's work great for cross racing and gravel ridding, though I would like a disc road/gravel bike as a rain bike, for actually ridding on wet days, which happen in western Washington.
Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.