Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BJII's credit card thread got me yearning to buy something so I drove all the way across town to the Apple Store figuring I'd buy a 17" Mac Book Pro with that great green battery (yes, I am susceptible to advertising.)

I got all excited when they said they had one in stock, even had my medical insurance card in hand to make sure I got my 6.31592% employee discount. But they lied, they only had the anti-glare version.

The Apple Genius' suggestion, "We get a new shipment every day, just be here tomorrow when we open and you might get one."

Should I sleep out front in my car tonight?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Then get a Dell....and save some money. Even though I like I iphone, I still like my Dell that is 1/3 the cost of the 17" Pro....

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I like the glossy screen but disagree about the color rendition. All of Apple's cinema display are non-glossy, and they're considered the most color accurate monitors in the consumer market. And the glare on the glossy is pretty obtrusive. IOW, that would never be the deal-breaker for me.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
hey Terry, as long as you're driving all over buying stuff, how about remembering your low-BMI internet friends?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put both side by side, loaded the same web page and the difference was marked. White was pale blue, the rest of the colors were all washed out.

I'm the worst kind of consumer when it comes to stuff like this, when I want it, I want it now and I'm often perfectly happy to compromise on things like this.

But I walked, it was that bad (to my eyes).

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creakyknees said:
hey Terry, as long as you're driving all over buying stuff, how about remembering your low-BMI internet friends?
I picked up a 50 roll pack of extra soft quilted TP for you at Sam's. What's your address?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MCF said:
Then get a Dell....and save some money. Even though I like I iphone, I still like my Dell that is 1/3 the cost of the 17" Pro....
It's not about needing a new computer, it's all about OS, I am trying to Mac-a-fy.

I work for Wintel, I need a change.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Wait, MacPros now come with a display already?

I never thought they did. But then again, I don't ever have a use for one as yet and would probably get the iMac (do these come in glossy and not glossy?) in time now that prices have dropped and graphics are better.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
terry b said:
17" Mac Book Pro.
You already failed at the naming of the device. D'oh!

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I'll never buy a glossy screen. EVER. Simple as that. My 24in HD dell monitors are matte and I never have ever have problems seeing what I wanna see. Having 2 24's side my side at work is a beautiful thing.. and coming home to 1 24 at home isnt that bad.

I would just show up by 10am and get your mac pro. I want one pretty bad but I haven't paid off my desktop yet. haha.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts