Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it was all for nothing. What a waste of time.

Readings show Four Corners marker off by 2.5 miles

(04-20) 12:47 PDT Salt Lake City (AP) --

Tourists who want to put a hand or foot in each of four states at the Four Corners area are apparently off the mark — by about 2.5 miles. According to readings by the National Geodetic Survey, the Four Corners marker showing the intersection of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah is about 2.5 miles west of where it should be.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/20/national/a124751D82.DTL&tsp=1

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
N36 59.999 W109 00.041 according to Mapsource Topo

according to the article N37 W109

that's about 199 feet

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
damn. guess i'll just have to go back to durango for some dert NNCing and stop off at the "new and improved" 4 corners along the way.

drat!

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
GPS handhelds have been available for over a decade; professional ones before that. Why is this just being discovered now?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I think it's California's fault.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
we;ve had accurate topographic maps for over a century. strange they just noticed

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
bring more opium next time

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I gotta call BS on this one. I've used different map data & coordinates for the monument, including NAD 27, NAD83 and WGS84. None put the monument more than a couple hundred feet off.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
jorgy said:
I gotta call BS on this one. I've used different map data & coordinates for the monument, including NAD 27, NAD83 and WGS84. None put the monument more than a couple hundred feet off.

Well, unless weeners can reach a couple hundred feet, that still makes it null and void for those who claim they've made love in all four states at the same time.

(thisisglassthreeofbirthdaymerlottalkingitsomaynotmakesenseorbefunny)

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
thisisglassthreeofbirthdaymerlottalkingitsomaynotmakesenseorbefunny)
Makes perfect sense to me. And it's funny as well. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts