Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine will be bring a Dremel tool tomorrow to trim down my steer tube. How do I move the star-nut further down the tube and keeping it level below the cut?

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carbon fiber. It's a 3T fork.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
If it has a carbon steerer, you can just use a pen/pencil to punch the compressor plug out of the fork. As long as you don't press against the compression sleeve it should come out relatively easily in multiple parts (usually 2 or 3).

If it's a starnut, use a starnut tool to hammer it down as you cut the steerer. Brute force is best.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Before you start trimming, have you ridden the proposed configuration for a while (by shuffling your shims)? Once you cut it you can't add it back in.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
I am sure the OP did not mean 'star nut' as in star nut ... Any pictures?

Do take the bike out for a few rides (same distances as you would normally) with the stem in the lower position before you decide to cut.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have been riding in the current configuration for about 8 months. And yes, no compression plug, just a star-nut just like this one.
View attachment 281207
I will do some measuring to see the spot where I want to cut will be over or under the star-nut. Then I will make the appropriate adjustment.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
If you have that STAR NUT in the carbon steerer, do not reuse it. You need a compression plug for carbon steerers. Whoever installed that on your bike just f----3d you.

Compression plugs not only are more expensive, they also don't score the carbon thus weakening it and putting you in danger.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,668 Posts
If you have that STAR NUT in the carbon steerer, do not reuse it. You need a compression plug for carbon steerers. Whoever installed that on your bike just f----3d you.

Compression plugs not only are more expensive, they also don't score the carbon thus weakening it and putting you in danger.
Yea...whomever put that starnut in his steerer gets the Asshat Moreon Wrench of the Day award.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Great advice given by all here. I recently cut my ENVE 2.0 fork when completing my Lynskey R230 build and didn't tape the fork with blue tape prior to cutting. Next time I will and I suggest doing so. That's my two cents. Go luck with the project. It's not near as difficult as I made it out to be :)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,670 Posts
while everyone here has provided good advice, i'm wondering if the OP has a fork that might have come w/ a Cervelo. these had a glued-in aluminum tube w/ a star nut pre-installed. if the OP can confirm or deny there is a silver alloy tube glued inside his steerer all of use can either calm down or continue telling him is fork is f'd.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it's a 3T Cervelo fork. It has the aluminum tube with carbon fiber glued on the outside of the tube. I'll be using a mask as precaution that's is for sure. I do plan on taping it in order to mark it with a pen. I saw on the mtbr forum that stated it's safe to use a long M6 hex bolt threaded into the star-nut and hit it with a mallet to push down it down with caution on the tapping. I really down want to drop $25 for a nut setter and use it just this one time.

·
15,670 Posts
Yes, it's a 3T Cervelo fork. It has the aluminum tube with carbon fiber glued on the outside of the tube. I'll be using a mask as precaution that's is for sure. I do plan on taping it in order to mark it with a pen. I saw on the mtbr forum that stated it's safe to use a long M6 hex bolt threaded into the star-nut and hit it with a mallet to push down it down with caution on the tapping. I really down want to drop $25 for a nut setter and use it just this one time.
ok, everyone can calm down. the star nut is ok as it's installed in the alloy tube that's glued inside the steerer. your hit-the-bolt-w/ a-hammer thing will work just fine.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for their concerns and inputs. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If you haven't cut it yet, make sure you wear a mask when you do. If I recall correctly, the dust is rather bad for you.
A few thoughts (I've dealt with all levels of PPE, full face respirators, supplied air, HEPA)
A good clean fine tooth hack saw is all you need to cut a carbon steerer tube. The dust generated isn't of the size that is going to go airborne, it will drop to the table and you can wipe it up. If you really had a concern put shop vac next to your cut location while doing it.
I see no advantage to cutting with a dremel, it will typically generate a finer particulate, and the spinning blade and fan motor will toss things into the air. Putting on a mask won't contain the particulate, it will just stop you from inhaling/ingesting it for the moment. Not to mention if you F up with the dremel you will do it real quick. You'd have to do this over a vent hood or down draft table to contain things (if concerned).

I splurged on a PT clamp guide, use a hack saw with some lube, break the edges with a metal file and face it off on a vertical belt sander.

·
15,670 Posts
A few thoughts (I've dealt with all levels of PPE, full face respirators, supplied air, HEPA)
A good clean fine tooth hack saw is all you need to cut a carbon steerer tube. The dust generated isn't of the size that is going to go airborne, it will drop to the table and you can wipe it up. If you really had a concern put shop vac next to your cut location while doing it.
I see no advantage to cutting with a dremel, it will typically generate a finer particulate, and the spinning blade and fan motor will toss things into the air. Putting on a mask won't contain the particulate, it will just stop you from inhaling/ingesting it for the moment. Not to mention if you F up with the dremel you will do it real quick. You'd have to do this over a vent hood or down draft table to contain things (if concerned).

I splurged on a PT clamp guide, use a hack saw with some lube, break the edges with a metal file and face it off on a vertical belt sander.
^ this is excellent advice from someone that sounds like they definitely know what they're talking about. no need to go crazy w/ equipment, just grab a fine tooth (32tpi) hacksaw blade and cut. it's very easy.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have any saws. Thus why I ask my friend for his assistant. Btw, do I need to deblur the edge?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.