Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
E5 is not carbon.

And did you just make up that true story about not buying used carbon?
What is your basis for this opinion?
My bad..

Of course, it's fairly common knowledge by now, that CF is notorious for having the ability to conceal structural damage. Even ultrasonic detectors have failed at detection in some cases.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So is it a good deal? I am new to cycling.
I say, relax and take your time. Buying a bike is not like buying a bag of charcoal. It's something that you should expect to enjoy and have access to its services at your convenience, for many years to come. Hopefully, it will be a source of much future happiness. It's kinda like getting married. Now first of all, it must test ride very well. If it doesn't fit, or feel really good when you're riding it, it's NOT going to work, so don't even bother. Next, you don't want to over spend and get cheated. That's especially so when buying an older aluminum framed bike that may have been ridden to death and abused over the years. However, the good thing about aluminum, is that if it's been abused, it usually shows it on the frame in the form of scratches, dents, gouges, and such. If an aluminum bike looks like its in mint condition, it most probably is worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The 2005 model retailed for $3,800!

If you like how it feels to ride, and if it looks to be in even half as good of a condition as the seller claims, I would buy it if it were me.

Get yourself some nice red tires! And you'll be red-t'go ;-)
If I had a choice between a used 8 year old S works E5 and a brand new Jamis Satellite Comp or a Jamis Coda Comp, I'd get the brand new bike. I'd hate to own a bike for only five or six years, before the frame fails. That's the risk with used aluminum. If it was a brand new aluminum bike, it would be quite a different story. I see aluminum bikes as having a time meter attached to 'em...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Awesome bike. I used to have 2005 and it was easily one of the best bikes (definitely one fo the best looking bikes IMO) I've ever owned. I darn near cried when I sold it but the other half said I had too many bikes. That bike was very responsive and it didn't beat me to death (contrary to the reputation about aluminum) on long rides despite deing a race bike. It set me back a cool $4,000 when I bought it, but it was worth every penny. I still think it's one of the best looking modern bikes ever made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.