Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I am building a bike for street (75%), trail (25%) use and I would like your opinion on the parts I am going to use. Any suggestions as to better parts (for the money) would be helpful.

Some have seen the frame before as I posted it before in another thread.

This is the fork I am using, it's a Martec Carbon Cross fork. $69

The rest of the parts I have are...
Campagnolo sealed BB
Campagnolo Veloce Crank 52/42 (Thinking about a triple, but not too sure if I need it)
Cane Creek IS-2 - Short
Shimano LX RD-M580 rear derailleur
Shimano LX ST-M580 Levers
Avid Single Digit 7
Shimano 105 - Front derailleur
Mavic 500 Hubs 32h (I know these are old, but they are so nice)
Sachs 7 speed - New 12-26

So far I've spent $449.50 (including shipping and taxes/duties) on all these parts. I am going to use 35cx622 tires. A cheaper seat post and a low riser handlebar. Still a few parts to go, but not too sure about those yet. Any suggestion?

Thanks all,
Ian

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm wondering how your going to make Shimano 9 speed shifters work on a 7 speed freewheel. The spacing is completely different.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hayduke1972 said:
I'm wondering how your going to make Shimano 9 speed shifters work on a 7 speed freewheel. The spacing is completely different.
Hey, you're right.:cryin:

:idea: Anyone wanna buy a set of Mavic hubs and a Sachs freewheel.

Well, this is why I posted here. Now I'll look for a set of hubs. I liked the Mavic hubs because they had sealed bearings and were silky smooth. Any other hubs have sealed bearings that do not cost an arm and a leg? 105's OK. I think Ultegras are out of my price range.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blakcloud said:
Another problem might be the triple front shifter paired with the double front derailleur and double rings
Can't this just be adjusted to not go so far on one side? Or is it a matter of spacing again? I do not want not use the LX shifters/levers because I paid $59 for them and I know anything else similar in quality is a lot more expensive.

I guess I knew I was going to run into compatibility issues building a bike like this, price first (Usually).

·
Registered
232 Posts
It might, it might not

w98seeng said:
Can't this just be adjusted to not go so far on one side? Or is it a matter of spacing again? I do not want not use the LX shifters/levers because I paid $59 for them and I know anything else similar in quality is a lot more expensive.

I guess I knew I was going to run into compatibility issues building a bike like this, price first (Usually).
Shimano MTB shifters don't work well with Shimano road triple dérailleurs, so it would be interesting to see if they'll work with a double. You got a frankenbike going on here, so I imagine your going to run into a few issues.

Good Luck

·
Registered
772 Posts
Niagaracycle.com has a set of Acera 7 speed MTB shifters for $27. I have used these and they are decent as well as working with either V-brakes or cantilever. I have used one on a FD double and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smokey422 said:
Planning on riding any steep roads or trails? If so, that 42T ring may not be a low enough gear.
Nope, I'm just riding road and light trail riding.
The reason for the LX components instead of full road components, is [ricing. I was able to get good prices on the parts, and for the most part, they will work.

Is it possible to replace the spacers on the freewheel to the size used on 9 speed cassettes?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chas0039 said:
It seems it would be much more reliable to just switch to 9 speed.
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
That's exactly what I did. I got a used Ultegra rear hub ($30) and a new SRAM PG950 Power Glide 9-Speed 11-32 cassette, and it comes with a new chain ($34). I also got an FSA OS-115 stem for $20.48. I'm also trying to get a new Bontrager Carbon Fiber seat post for $40. All these prices include shipping.

So far I'm into the bike for $486, not too bad I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.