Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ride the ibis silk frame. I have a set of elan aeros and a da10 setup that need a lower cost lighter frame.
How stiff is the ibis?
thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
mantraxl said:
Hah, ridden any of the softtail mtb's they put out that had the flat, flex-stays? Scary, despite being oversize aluminum.
You mean the Ripley? You can still buy essentially the same frame from John Castellano.

http://www.castellanodesigns.com/fango.html

I've never ridden one but this is the first time I've heard something negative about them. My steel Ibis Mojo is stiff as hell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ignorant my ass, I rode it. Wiggly as an old Slingshot frame with the downtube cable disconnected. I'm sure this caters to the ride preferences of some riders who dont mind, but dont you dare call it stiff.
I'm more than happy to admit that some riders like toptube flex as part of their handling package. I'll even gladly admit that it can be used in adantageous ways in low speed singletrack. I, as a person who LOVES torsional stiffness in a road frame will willingly admit that at low speeds, some maneuvers are easier to commit to when you can twist the bike.
That having been said, at racing speeds, I want a bike whose frame will hold it own against the forces at play; mine and those of the course.
I, as a 6'7" 230 lb rider, know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to stiffness. I'm not trying to cast dispersions on Ibis, in fact, I think they make some of the niceest bikes rolling. That does not mean that they cant make a flexible flyer, and they have. I'm sure some of their new carbon stuff is EXTREMELY cool, though costly, but dont rely on brand reputation to mean that its stiff.
Test ride anything you want to buy, unless youre sure its beyond the call of duty. Just dont complain when things dont measure up to legends.

Ibis makes nice bikes

Eli

1 - 6 of 6 Posts