Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It certainly looks interesting...

https://www.ft.com/content/edbafd98-7193-11e7-aca6-c6bd07df1a3c

"I think it’s very, very hard to believe in the concept of clean sport, as this is a constant cat-and-mouse game,” [Fogel] says. “Science and medical technology and human evolution are always going to be trying to outsmart the system to catch them. One only needs to pick up any scientific journal on any day and go, well, jeez, clearly the athlete of the future is going to be genetically engineered, because the science is there to do it.”

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I just finished watching it. That was an excellent documentary. I highly recommend it. Seriously, watch it.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
moral of the story: don't race with Di2. LOL

but yes, it is an important documentary.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Still mulling much of the content, although most of it has been published and verified over the past year. IMV, the IAAF (including Coe) gets off unduly lightly. Wrt the IOC.... well no surprises there.

As for Rodchenkov, I'm not sure. His behaviour during the whole period seems odd and he is at least a little bit eccentric. I sort of feel sorry for him in some ways but he didn't appear to think the whole thing thru especially the impact on his family

Definitely worth a watch and I largely agree with the Guardian (so it must be correct and balanced :) ) review

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/04/icarus-review-netflix-doping-wada-russia

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Just watched it a little while ago ... Fascinating documentary.

Interesting how it goes from an amateur cyclist doping to show how easy it is to beat WADA, and to see how much he can improve (20% improvement in FTP in his mid 40's is dang impressive for an already well trained cyclist) ... to the Russian doping scandal, it's explanation and how they were busted.

It's well worth the watch and is better than most of the espionage movies out.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
(SPOILER) I was like .. OK where is this little cycling doping story going. He has basically grenaded in the mountains in his big event. But there remains 90 minutes in this movie somehow. Does he come back the following year go all Lance Armstrong on those Alps?

.. and then the story makes a big heavy turn in a fascinating new direction

·
Registered
675 Posts
Meanwhile in London, Bolt is beaten into 3rd place by Gatlin in the 100m or as one observer commented
"Athletics got what it deserved tonight - Russian athletes are banned indefinitely and sit at home watching an American double drugs cheat take gold."

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just watched it a little while ago ... Fascinating documentary.

Interesting how it goes from an amateur cyclist doping to show how easy it is to beat WADA, and to see how much he can improve (20% improvement in FTP in his mid 40's is dang impressive for an already well trained cyclist) ... to the Russian doping scandal, it's explanation and how they were busted.

It's well worth the watch and is better than most of the espionage movies out.
I'm not sure it did show how easy it is to beat WADA, unless you have the state facilities that the Russians operated. They had to do the "hole in the wall" bit and even then it was (eventually) spotted that the tampering had taken place.

The Cycling bit in the drama/documentary just fizzled out. Was he tested, did he avoid getting caught and why with an improved FTP did he do worse even allowing for other things?

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
I'm not sure it did show how easy it is to beat WADA, unless you have the state facilities that the Russians operated. They had to do the "hole in the wall" bit and even then it was (eventually) spotted that the tampering had taken place.

The Cycling bit in the drama/documentary just fizzled out. Was he tested, did he avoid getting caught and why with an improved FTP did he do worse even allowing for other things?
Well, based on what I saw... the "race" claims to test but doesn't.... but, even if they had tested him, the Dr. was claiming there'd be no positive. I believe that was supposed to be the story. I also think that the initial part of the movie did a good job of pointing out that even with all the drugs and the big FTP number, you still gotta win the race. Your equipment can't break. You can't get a flat. You can't crash.

I thought the film was great... what a twist.

I was really interested to see what was going o happen after the second attempt at Haute Route. The Dr. seemed to be implying, "Ok, now we know how your body reacts to this program... now we adjust and turn it up a few notches." He said something along the lines of, "You were in the lobby and I took you to the first floor, but we have many more floors. Next we go to the second floor." but then the whole WADA Olympic scandal exploded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts