Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robbie V was show casing the jersey for warming up.. and saying they put ice in the back sleeve and keep the jersey frozen in cold water.

It looks like vande de velde has a big glob of ice in his jersey on his back..I'm not sure if it is a camel back or if he is using ice for the TT?

the other gerolsteiner rider, shumacher?, looked like he had a hump?

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
The hump in Vandevelde's jersey is the radio. The Garmin team has been warming up wearing ice vests. I guess Allen Lim did some research and found out that if they keep their core cool while warming up, they had better performances.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Racer C said:
The hump in Vandevelde's jersey is the radio. The Garmin team has been warming up wearing ice vests. I guess Allen Lim did some research and found out that if they keep their core cool while warming up, they had better performances.
yep... the same Dr Allen Lim that told Floyd Landis to pour lots of water on himself during a famous TdF stage a few years back.

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Creakyknees said:
yep... the same Dr Allen Lim that told Floyd Landis to pour lots of water on himself during a famous TdF stage a few years back.
I'm confused...do you mean that Allen Lim is full of crap, or that the ice vest thing is a thinly veiled doping thing? Or...?

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Racer C said:

I don't know who deserves the exact credit for cooler during warm up period but it is not a concept discovered by Allen Lim. The ice vest is something that was available to riders before like Lance, so even that was soemthing that perhaps was first reported today, but has been around too.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Oregon State uses a vest with a similar idea from Nike under their pads. Cold water is pumped while on the sidelines through their vest to keep their cores cool.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weltyed said:
ice vests are nothing new. however, these were jerseys with ice pockets. a tad different, but same idea.

that's what I thought I saw - skinsuits with ice pockets.

and it looked like vandevlde and shumacher had larger humps and weren't using camelbacks.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
These ice vest were first introduced by Nike for the USA team only, in the marathon and longer distance events at the 2004 olympics. You wear them to warm up- for a couple of hours even before you start. The americans had stand out performances because of these things, it really took the rest of the world by surprise at how well the americans ran.

The thought behind it is to reduce your core body temperature a few degrees so that you don't have to work quite as hard to keep your body cool. It is sort of like starting the race with a slower resting heart rate then normal- you have more room to increase in temp. then you normally would.

The thing about these things is that an ice cooler won't chill them. They have to be put into a subzero- like meat locker- to get them cold/frozen.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
bas said:
that's what I thought I saw - skinsuits with ice pockets.

and it looked like vandevlde and shumacher had larger humps and weren't using camelbacks.
I think that was Danny P with the hump- VdV didn't have that hump.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I just watched the VS coverage, VdV started the ITT on stage 20 with a huge hump, but finished with no hump. It must have been a camel back.

· More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
During the Philly race the soigneurs for Slipstream (Garmin) were filling socks with ice and handing them off to the riders in the feed zones. The riders would stick them down the neck of their jersey to help keep them cool. This could be what caused VdV's vanishing hump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.