Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got into cycling and after paying a bike shop $45 to put on some clipless pedals, I decided to buy my own stand (Park Tool PCS-10) and tool kit (Park Tool AK-37).

I recently switched out my handlebars (old ones got bent in a fall) and rewrapped my bar tape using youtube videos, but I'd like to learn how to do a basic tune-up. I'm sure I can check out articles and watch videos, but I figured it'd be better to just ask for help on here first.

Does anyone have time to show me how to propoerly tune up my bike and make other minor adjustments? I'm in Frisco, but more than happy to travel anywhere in the DFW area.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I got Zinn's art of bicycle repair on a recommendation from this forum and it does not disappoint. Also, Park Tools has a manual and Bicycling has one. Invest $25 into one or more of these and start wrenching. I'm sure there are some things better handled by a LBS mech tho.
There are lots of threads on here about drivetrain maint.
I recently checked my teens wheels and they were wobbly as hell so I acquired some spoke wrenches, hung the bike on my new Park Tools hangar and proceeded to true them back into form.
Very gratifying.

·
Ride for the day!
111 Posts
Takes time. Read a book or 3. Throw your bike on your stand and play with it. See how it works while it working right as compared to after it brakes. Join a local club or group.

Charged you $45 to swap peddles? my 1st thought was, did you buy them from them? Hope that included checking the placement of the clips on your shoes.

If I still lived in Fort Worth, I would be more then happy to help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up buying the Big Blue book of bike maintenance. I'll grab another one too if this first one is confusing.

I didn't even think to check with RBM! They offer a basic repair group course for $25. Unfortunately, they're booked up for their October class already, but I'll prolly do it in Nov.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Park tool website also has great information too. You'll learn it's a lot easier than you might think. The main thing is having the right tools.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I can't believe someone would charge you $45 to put on some freaking pedals.

I am lame and got an illustrated book from Borders before they kaputted. I think I paid $5 cause of the sale. It's awesome. I also got this tool kit at the REI garage sale a couple years ago for $25. It's got everything I need for now that I can forsee...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I just joined up on bicycletutor and watched about 10 videos. As others have said..it doesn't seem hard at all, just need the proper tools.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Do all your stuff it is eaaasaaay. buy some books. look at videos in youtube, and parktool web page.

Changing pedals is like soooo easy.
and your bikes is in good hands, everything torqued to spec. and you can always check everything is fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts