Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's not a cyclist. I do get her to ride when were on vacation, like renting casual type bikes, and riding around town. She has a mountain bike, but that experiment was a dismal failure. Recently, she's expressed interest in doing some charity type rides. She said she would do like the some of the 20 mile routes or so.
Sooo,
I just recently bought a TCR 1, and I have an 2000 Allez Sport I need to sell. Watching the classifieds, I could only get maybe $400 for this bike. A new comfort bike for her, even with a Sora spec is going to cost me $600, maybe more.
What I was thinking was, Strip the Allez,(it has 105) sell the frame, buy a smaller frame,
Put the 105 stuff on, get an adjustable stem and flat bars with rapid fires. I'd also ad a suspension seatpost and confy saddle.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
That makes no financial sense

You won't get squat for the Allez frame, will have to buy another frame AND rapid-fire shifters, and the only reason to do that is for the sheer joy of cobbling your wife's new ride together yourself.

Much better deals are had in buying a used entry level (or mid-range) bike in the proper size. Especially if you are willing to look at something a few years old (even mid-90s RSX) there are GREAT bargains for the new rider.

Are you selling her short by insisting on a comfort/hybrid setup? More effort for the same speed and miles. Get the right fit and right saddle, and there is no reason she can't do the same distances with less effort and be happy as a clam on a drop-bar (or flat bar but they are harder to find) road setup.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
What was wrong with the MTB?

Unless it was a horribly bad fit, terribly heavy and/or had a lousy drivetrain, I'd clean it/tune it and put on a good set of skinny, high-pressure street tires and have her ride that until it's obvious that her interest in riding isn't just a whim. Why go to the trouble/expense of building up the second bike until you know for sure?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Old_Bashturd said:
Recently, she's expressed interest in doing some charity type rides. She said she would do like the some of the 20 mile routes or so.

Did she ask you to help select a bike for her? My wife would probably not ride whatever I selected for her. She prefers to do her own research and selection. I would start this by gently asking her if she would like a little assistance in the selection of a new ride. She might surprise you and welcome suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.........I'm re-thinking the buildup...........

I might indeed go through all this trouble, and she hates what I built for her. Oh, I love building up bikes, but I'd hate to present it to her and she doesn't like it.
Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
282 Posts
yeah, you have to be careful on this one! when i met my wife, she wanted a bike. so i got her a trek road bike for her birthday, and it sat in the basement for 8 years. i finally broke down and bought her a cruiser (a bianchi milano...i still can't believe that she liked the celeste bike the best!). i know that cruisers are not "real" bikes and i still don't quite feel right on mine (i couldn't ride with her on her cruiser on my roadie with clipless pedals, lycra, etc.!), we have had a lot of fun <i>together</i> on the cruisers. i bet we have been for more rides in the last year than in the previous 8.

now, this is not to say that your wife won't pickup and like road riding, but i think that there are those who love riding and those who don't and it isn't necessarily possible to switch categories! just make sure to find out what she wants and make sure to listen to her concerns. if you put her on a roadie and she complains about it being uncomfortable and not a lot of fun...that might not ever change.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Bonked said:
i know that cruisers are not "real" bikes QUOTE]
Bite your tongue! Cruisers rule. Much cooler getting around town on a cruiser than a racing bike.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
definitely include her in the selection process

My wife had an old Huffy MTB when I met her, didn't ride it much if at all.
Found a nicer used Schwinn commuter style bike that she liked for a great price, so it's in the basement waiting for a spring tuneup and possibly tires/tubes.
She was out rummage/garage saleing once last summer and came home with an older cruiser, step-thru frame, headlight, fat tires, old and worn down, but she liked it. It's in the garage waiting for a major spring tuneup and new tires/tubes.

The Schwinn commuter will be used for local bike trail rides, and if we head cross-town in the car to go for rides with her kids/families.

The cruiser will be freshened up for more local rides around town, which is just fine with me since I've got an old mid-1960's Schwinn 2-speed cruiser to ride along with her with.

The Huffy will most likely fade away into the shadows of the garage.

For longer stuff and for training I'll just hop on my road bike or MTB while she does something else or goes to visit her kids and their families.

The bottom line is to go with the flow, keep her happy, and if she'll ride with me then I'll adapt to her pace while riding together. That's good for both of us.

My biggest problem will be with the tandem and keeping my cadence at her pace as well. ;)

YMMV, but I say to include her in the decision/setup process. She'll be happier, and you in turn will be happier with her being happier.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Novara Big Buzz

This is a sweet ride, from REI's line. I have one and have to admit, it is the funnest bike i own - 700C wheels, disc brakes, SRAM shorty grip shift, slate gray Alu frame with removeable decals. This bike is stealthy, fast, confortable and fun. My GF is in the same boat as your wife, and she really likes my Big Buzz. I think I might get one for her too.

I put a triple chainring and some cyclocross tires on mine and packed it off to Sri Lanka for a month, where I toured the mountains. It was the perfect bike for that, and for urban adventures, like going for cafe rides....

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...productId=47677187&parent_category_rn=4500775

·
I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED
181 Posts
Bonked said:
cruisers definitely rule...here are ours...
I'm looking into getting a cruiser for riding with the GF as well and looked at a
18.5 Milano but it was to small. I'm 5'11". What size is yours and how tall are
you? Thanks.

Veni Vidi Vici

·
Registered
282 Posts
god...don't even have the slightest idea what size my milano is. i'm 6'1" and ride a 57cm top tube road frame and fit on my milano just fine. there are two sizes larger than the 18.5, so you should be able to find something that fits. good luck!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My wife decided she wanted to ride. I know from experience tha she's pretty independent. She asked me to come with her when she shopped. We went to 4 bike shops together. I didn't say a word unless she asked me what I thought. She picked out the bikes, rode them, and narrowed it down to two. She asked me what I thought & what the pros & cons of each bike were. She went with the one I suggested without making her feel like I picked it for her. Indeed - I didn't. Same thing with car shopping. Sales people & husbands tend to be over patronizing towards women buyers. Often the man will pick the car and the wife will be allowed to pick the color. My wife knows I know much, much more about bikes than she does. That doesn't mean she shouldn't be the primary decision maker. It is, after all, her bike.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
My wife wanted the road bike speed but despite all the models we tried and various
attempts to fit her she just could not get used to drop bars. There were a few with
the "cheater" brake levers on the flat position on the bar - she still felt too stretched
out. She also felt the ride quality on the entry level aluminum bikes with carbon
forks was just too harsh.

She knew I had a lot of bike knowledge as to what parts specs were good and what
were good deals so she told me to keep my eye out for anything that might work for
her.

She owns a flat bar mountain bike and a "ape hanger" bar recumbent and she has no issues with that. Over lunch on friday I went to several bike shops and found a good deal:

Two days ago we bought her a Raleigh Route 66 with carbon front fork,
105 drivetrain, Truvativ crank, decent Alex rimmed wheels with Vittoria
Randoneur tires (700x23 with 120 psi) and flat bar with thumbshifters
and she can really zip along on that now. The frame was actually
built by Kinesis.

I tried it out and despite it being a little small on me it has really
nice ride quality, the drivetrain is trouble free and will be potentially
a way for her to get into a real roadie down the road.

I knew I was in trouble when I did a double take at a fast rider going by the
shop window heading out of sight very quick when she test rode it. "Hey,
that's my wife". So I was cooling my heels in the bike shop talking with
the salesguy and looking at bikes while waiting for her to come back...heh.

She did try a bunch of other bikes out but liked this one the best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Jim P. Make her select the bike and you provide some guidance, worked for me!

I bought my wife 3 years ago a 2004 OCR 3, but she selected it. She loves it! We have done charity rides to daily rides. Recently she wanted a new bike, so here we are again going through the same process. Nirvana, she actually rides without me now! You know marriage, let her drive the decision, otherwise you will never hear the end of it....

PS: When you ride, do you stay with her?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Did the same thing with my wife, and I realized that they MUST GO SHOPPING WITH YOU.

She chose a bike based purely on good looks, didnt' care about components or lightweight or whatever, it just had to look "cute". Ultimately, she settled on a Bianchi C2C and just loves riding that bike, because she feels "cute" on it.

If you want her to feel attached to the bike, I think she's gotta be the one choosing the color/design.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
The bike I built up for my wife is currently hanging from the hooks in the basement, gathering dust. She says she knows it's faster than her trek 800 thing, but she doesn't like the skinny tires- she'd rather not go around potholes, and the steering is just way too quick. She doesn't like the bar-end shifters at all. She flat-out refuses to learn how to fix a flat.

I still have dreams of building her the perfect bike, but honestly, she probably wouldn't ride it anyway...

your path is frought with frustration, sir.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
That's a nice bike ASB. It's very similar to the one my wife picked out. She doesn't have the carbon fork tho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts