Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I moved to Denver I've been getting flats like crazy. Apparently this is very common here.

I put Continental Gator Skins on my Trek District and that bike has not gotten a flat since.

My Bianchi San Jose (single speed cyclocross bike, used for commuting) is still getting flats, in fact a flat tire on every single ride it's ever been on here! Ugh!

I put Mr Tuffy liners in my Bianchi's WTB All Tyrannosaurs tires, but still got a flat :(

Can anyone recommend a good tire for my San Jose? Not necessarily a cyclocross tire, more commuter oriented. Preferably something in the 30-33mm width range, and with similar protection that Gator Skins provide. Continental claims Gator Skins come in 32mm width, but I can't find them for sale anywhere at that size.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. The Schwalbe Marathan Plus's claim to have really good puncture protection and come in 32mm. Thanks for the heads up, never even heard of these before :)

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Conti Gatorskins
Bontrager Hardcase
Specialized Armadillo's
Schwalbe Marathon Plus

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
armadillo & Gatorskins are my picks for anything as bad as NYC riding.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Armadillos are pretty indestructable, but feel terrible. It is one of the only tires where I feel it takes a lot more effort to roll. A big one left off that list is the Vittoria Randonneur series. They come in a number of forms from wire to folding, smooth to tooth tread, and various levels of puncture protection. They wear very slowly from what I've found.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
GatorSkins plus a heavier Tube like Michelin AirStop at about 100g.
Remember it's the tube that punctures and causes a flat, so using decent Tires but flimsy tubes may defeat the purpose.
Just a thought.

john

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
I'm quite fond of Panaracer T-Serv Messengers...in 28mm width. No flats yet despite miles and miles of broken glass here on the mean streets of SW Florida.

·
Registered
550 Posts
city41 said:
Cool. The Schwalbe Marathan Plus's claim to have really good puncture protection and come in 32mm. Thanks for the heads up, never even heard of these before :)
They're about as good as it gets for flat protection as they have a really thick barrier layer under the tread. The biggest downside is that they weigh a tonne. That may or may not be a downside, depending on your usage.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
I got 4200 miles out of a set of Bontrager Hardcases without a single flat, many mornings on slick roads due to fog. Really amazing tires. Toward the end the outer tread had given out and I was riding on the kevlar layer for about a week before I noticed the inch and a half gash in the tread. Still didn't flat. They're cheap, durable and ride pretty nice even leaned over on descents, about the only thing I do really well on a bike. I'd recommend them since they're half the price of most "durable" tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I am going to go ahead and order some Schwalbe Marathon Plusses.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I have done quite well with both the Schwalbe Marathon series tires (I think I had the "XR" one,) and currently the Vittoria Randonneur series.

Both roll, you know, reasonably well, and are are tough as you can get.

Only flat I ever got on the Randonneurs was from a long, jagged piece of scrap metal...

·
Registered
559 Posts
MattSoutherden said:
They're about as good as it gets for flat protection as they have a really thick barrier layer under the tread. The biggest downside is that they weigh a tonne. That may or may not be a downside, depending on your usage.
Their second biggest downside is the sidewalls are like concrete. However, in 3 seasons of usage I have never had a flat.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Local REI had 700x28 Gatorskins in stock, so went ahead with those. Man they roll easier than the all terrainasauruses did. So far so good!

·
Registered
864 Posts
My Gary Fisher came with hard case tires..

Fogdweller said:
I got 4200 miles out of a set of Bontrager Hardcases without a single flat, many mornings on slick roads due to fog. Really amazing tires. Toward the end the outer tread had given out and I was riding on the kevlar layer for about a week before I noticed the inch and a half gash in the tread. Still didn't flat. They're cheap, durable and ride pretty nice even leaned over on descents, about the only thing I do really well on a bike. I'd recommend them since they're half the price of most "durable" tires.
I have less then 500 miles on them but seem very durable, very similar to Conti Gator Hardshell

http://bontrager.com/model/00443

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
city41 said:
If you can afford the extra expense, the Marathon Supremes roll very well, haven't given me a flat since I mounted them 3200 mile ago, have a nice round profile so they corner very well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had good success commuting on Hutchinson Top Slick 2's with the "Protect'air".

700 x 32

Cheap at Nashbar and elsewhere.

Definitely not a performance tire, but they get the job done. No flats to report of.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts