Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I rarely post to road bike review in general, but I was hoping I might ask some of you your opinion.

A friend of mine runs a small custom frame building company. He's looking to build a 'track' frame to include in his line of bikes and asked my opinion on how I think he should build the frame - geometry, style, etc.

I told him, since no-one was really going to ride it as a 'track' bike, I thought he should make it a little more 'urban' friendly but with classic track styling (to me that means Bianchi Pista styling). Basically I thought it should have slightly more relaxed geometry than a true track bike, be able to accomodate fairly wide tires and have a drilled out rear brake bridge so you could add a rear brake if you wanted (even if he doesn't include braze-ons for cable stops). I don't think he agrees with me though.

So if you could design your ideal 'track' frame (i.e. single speed/fixed) for 'urban' riding, what would you do?

Hopefully this doesn't come across as spam. It's not intended to be. I'm just curious what the rest of you think and how far off I am in my opinion. For what it's worth, I'm currently going to school in London, England (I live normally in Colorado) which has changed my view slightly on what an ideal bike should be.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
It really depends on what kind of buyer your friend is looking to attract with a "track" frame.

For some people, a fixie on the road should be more utilitarian as you suggest with room for wider tires, brake mounts, and fenders and rack mounts. Road geometry is also in this vein.

However, some riders want the aestheic of a more genuine track bike and some may even like the snappier handling.

I don't really see a silver bullet compromise.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If I were to build the ultimate "track frame" as you call it, I would first change the name. Since it isn't a track bike, I would call it a single speed/fixed gear bicycle. Then I would go out and copy what ever bike is the biggest seller in the world, which in my mind is the Specialized Langster (or what ever suits your fancy, Kona Paddy Wagon, Raleigh One Way or Rush Hour, Swobo etc.) Of course it would have to be different enough to warrant the price of a custom frame but the geometry would be the same, because it works as an urban bike.

No reason to reinvent the wheel.

But as you already mentioned, your friend is building custom, so let each customer dictate whatever he or she wants in an urban designed bike.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
No rear brake. No cable guides. Maybe one set of bottle bosses. I would look at improving the IRO design...

I think unused cable guides are ugly---- what can I say?

I would build it with tight clearances...

...but I would also want its price to come in around $250 with a fork. Nobody wants to worry about an expensive bike in an urban environment.

Trouble is, my aesthetic has nothing to do with custom building.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
non-custom custom

Thanks for the replies. I should probably clarify that while the company builds custom bikes, the 'track' bike isn't intended to be custom. He's looking more to build a stock model that he can sell as part of a more standard line.

I definitely agree that 'track' bike is somewhat of a misnomer as few people will probably ride it on an actual track. Which is why I thought he should steer towards something more 'urban.'

Once again, thanks for the comments. I'll have to post a picture when he builds one as I hope to pick one up for myself.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Rower said:
Once again, thanks for the comments. I'll have to post a picture when he builds one as I hope to pick one up for myself.
We're always interested. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.