Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting an Edge 705 soon. This summer I might be going on a 9-10 day bike ride around Lake Ontario. I would love to use the Edge 705 for the trip. With around 10 hours of run time on the unit I'll need to charge it daily.

What have you used to charge a 705 or similar device out in the field? I've seen the solar chargers and some of the battery pack ones.

Will one of those energizer AA portable chargers work? Something like this?

I'm leaning toward the disposable battery side since I can just stop by a gas station each day and grab a 4 pack or something.

I'd use a chargeable system if I could get 2 or 3 charges out of it.

Ideas? Suggestions?!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Solar Charger?

I've seen some small - really small - solar panels out there that might be useable. Some of them are even flexible - i.e. you could possibly wear it on your jersey while you ride, in addition to charging while in camp. Don't know what the voltage/current requirements for the 705 are, though.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well for what i'm seeing the main limitation I might run into is the amount of data I'll be able to save before uploading. Since I won't have access to a laptop using the edge for data tracking on a 1000 or so mile ride might not be the best idea. If I were traveling with a laptop or something it might be better. Tough situation. I might need to do some extensive testing before hand.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On the 305 you can change a ride into a course which has a separate memory. It doesn't say anything about this in the manual. I don't know if you can do that on the 705.

Call Garmin 800-800-1020 and ask. I've always found them helpful and knowledgeable about the the products I've bought from them.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I'll just have to call garmin. Might as well try right?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Energizer Energi To Go

I called Garmin with this very question and they recommended the Energizer USB power pack:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CEL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235776613&sr=8-1

I got one a couple of days ago and it seems to work fine. I haven't done a full charge with it yet. I've heard that they are good for 2 charges of the 705. I have a 5 day trip to n. rim grand canyon in June and will probably bring 3 sets of batteries.

Derek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts